!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/14/2020 8:34 am  #1

Gary Con XII Cancelled

I am saddened by but in support of the cancellation of Gary Con XII. This has been a tough decision for Luke, Caroline, and the rest of the team, but I believe they made the right call. I've seen Gary Con grow from its very beginning, and I have been a part of it since its earliest days. And if you go back further, prior to Gary's passing, we had a small con called the Lake Geneva Gaming Convention, which was held by Troll Lord Games and attended by a few hundred people, many of whom continued on attending Gary Con. 

I've made so many friends over the years thanks to Gary Con, and I always look forward to reuniting with them, sharing tales, rolling dice, and talking shop about role-playing games. All of this is done while honoring the life and legacy of Gary Gygax, the co-creator of Dungeons & Dragons. This year was going to be extra sweet, because Luke and I had written a special 1e adventure, called "The Trouble at Loch Jineeva". I was so excited to work with Luke and share the results with fellow gamers at Gary Con XII. I am optimistic that we will find a way to get this adventure into the hands of our interested gaming peers once the dust settles and this virus has run its course. 

At Gary Con II, I premiered the first adventure module for my own game, called Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea. The adventure was called "Charnel Crypt of the Sightless Serpent". This module represented my attempt to bounce back after years of working on creative materials with Gary Gygax, and having all that work swept away by the mismanagement of those who had inherited Gary's IP. But with the support of my beautiful wife, Erica, I decided to strike out on my own, creating my own small publishing company, called North Wind Adventures. Gary had given me my first break, so it was only fitting to premier the first book for my new venture at Gary Con II -- and we're still truckin' along! 

Having no Gary Con does have an impact on sales typically generated at the con and following the con. This year we were set to have our biggest presence to date: Over 30 events, including a Saturday Night Celebrity Hyperborea game, and a Friday morning Livestream Hyperborea. To help make up for this, North Wind Adventures is putting some key products for sale, 40% off cover price: 

- AS&SH Players' Manual ($23.99 -- normally $39.99) 
- Beneath the Comet ($13.20 -- normally $22.00) 
- Ghost Ship of the Desert Dunes ($13.20 -- normally $22.00) 

The sale will run until next Saturday, March 21. These items can be found at our online store: www.hyperborea.tv 

In closing, as my friend Rich Franks pointed out, let's not forget why we were gathering in the first place -- to honor and celebrate Gary, whose life was well played. Cheers, Gary! ~Jeff Talanian

image post

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

3/15/2020 7:45 pm  #2

Re: Gary Con XII Cancelled

The Gygax's canceling certainly sucks, but for the best, Imaging the Con-Crud if they had it...

Striking out on your own! You have the Biggest B......

Ahem, I mean a lot of Courage brother. probably more than anyone I personally know. Been a long time pleasure knowing you since we were little kids...

Sausage

Last edited by BlackKnight (3/15/2020 7:46 pm)

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

3/17/2020 6:48 am  #3

Many thanks, Bobby Sausage!

3/20/2020 12:20 pm  #4

Two more days left on the sale!

www.hyperborea.tv

3/23/2020 7:32 pm  #5

Seems like as good a place as any for this:

I forgot to mention I'm running the event I was gonna run at Gary Con at the VTT Gary Con.

Friday Night 8pm Eastern. I will be using roll20 and google hangouts.

https://tabletop.events/conventions/gar ... hedule/511

What? Me worry?

3/24/2020 12:12 pm  #6

gizmomathboy wrote:

Seems like as good a place as any for this:

I forgot to mention I'm running the event I was gonna run at Gary Con at the VTT Gary Con.

Friday Night 8pm Eastern. I will be using roll20 and google hangouts.

https://tabletop.events/conventions/gar ... hedule/511

Unfamiliar with these.  are roll20 and google hangouts compatible? is one better than the other for your game?

3/24/2020 12:49 pm  #7

There used to be roll20 and google hangouts years ago, but not for some time.

roll20 is good for map sharing and such but not so good for audio/video.

Most folks that I know that use roll20 use something else for audio/video.

I'm most familiar with roll20 but others use a variety of other tools for the shared whiteboard/map/etc stuff.

What? Me worry?

3/30/2020 10:10 am  #8

My event went well.

They partly was only slightly suicidal...well probably partly.

They decided to wade into melee with 6 zombies (party size was 7 IIRC).

I did state at the start of the session that it is my personal opinion that any party in Hyperborea that doesn't have a monk or runegraver should be considered suicidal. That is because zombies can turn you into a zombie with a bite (no save), and rats have a disease ridden bite as well. I do allow shamans to be able to cure a rat bite but not a zombie bite.

Apart from that encounter, where the cleric was bitten and the runegraver and another pc were knocked down to -1, they did ok and had fun.

A friend that was in the session gave me some suggestions to improve it for con events, which is what I was hoping for from them.

So, I should be even more prepared to run a better low level Hyperborea event at future conventions.

What? Me worry?

3/30/2020 12:12 pm  #9

gizmomathboy wrote:

That is because zombies can turn you into a zombie with a bite (no save)...

Whoa, never noticed that...yikes.

Glad to hear it went well!

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

3/30/2020 1:10 pm  #10

Well, I ran one pick-up game, played in another pick-up game, and played in an on-grid game (which is typical of my Gary Con in-person experience), plus I "attended" the Opening Ceremony, where Luke claimed if you were there, you were at Gary Con XII.  So, my streak of going to all of them is intact.

I had very low expectations when it came to actually running on online games, as I'd never done it before, and it went better than I expected, which is always nice.  Lloyd Metcalf interviewed me about the VTT experience, will be interesting to see how that series of interviews turns out.  It was fun, I'll do it again, but I have no delusions of it ever becoming my normal, let alone, preferred form of playing D&D.  It isn't the same.

Last edited by francisca (3/30/2020 1:11 pm)

3/30/2020 1:27 pm  #11

rhialto wrote:

gizmomathboy wrote:

That is because zombies can turn you into a zombie with a bite (no save)...

Whoa, never noticed that...yikes.

Glad to hear it went well!

Thanks.

Zombies are no joke in Hyperborea.

That coupled with their damage reductions (bolts/arrows only do 1 point of damage unless a head shot, half damage from piercing/slashing weapons), *and* if attacking as a group (for me if there is more than 1 attacking you in a round) they try to overbear you.

So...do your best to not engage zombies in melee. You should even be able to "stick and move". You might use a lot of missiles, but better than getting bit.

What? Me worry?

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.