!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/02/2019 1:56 pm  #1

Where Does Helios Rise? Where Does He Set?

I'm wondering how an inhabitant of Hyperborea sees the cycle of day and night. Where does Helios rise? Where does he set? Hyperborea doesn't have east or west so how do sunrise and sunset work?

8/02/2019 2:59 pm  #2

Re: Where Does Helios Rise? Where Does He Set?

It's up to you I guess, please someone corrects me if I'm wrong but I can't remember seeing any info about that.

In my case the Hyperborea is tilting and shifting, causing Helios to rise and set without logical pattern, strengthening the weirdness of setting.

Non-native English speaker - I apologize for any unclear phrasing
hyperborea.video.blog

8/03/2019 1:39 pm  #3

Hyperborea does indeed have east and west. Wherever you are, if you face Mount Vhuumithadon, then Helios rises behind you to your right, and it sets behind you to your left. Of course it never rises far above the horizon, peaking at only about 25° in mid-summer.

3/19/2020 2:34 pm  #4

I think I worked it out. As an observer faces north they will see Helios appear in the NE. During the morning, Helios will move in a SW direction until at noon he is due south of the observer. Then he will move in a NW direction towards sunrise. My head canon does assume a convex Hyperborea which contradicts scholarly opinion in-universe but scholarly opinion may be incorrect in this instance.

3/19/2020 7:15 pm  #5

Rhebeqah wrote:

I think I worked it out. As an observer faces north they will see Helios appear in the NE. During the morning, Helios will move in a SW direction until at noon he is due south of the observer. Then he will move in a NW direction towards sunrise. My head canon does assume a convex Hyperborea which contradicts scholarly opinion in-universe but scholarly opinion may be incorrect in this instance.

That all depends on Where your standing in Hyperborea. Being flat, the presumption is that as Hyperborea turns "daily" the sun progressively alters position of rising and fall. Each "year" of the thirteen-year cycle the sun rotates it's rise and fall once around the flat disk. That said there is also a 7-year wobble arch that determines the height that the red giant comes into the sky.

So if you are standing near Kromarium at the height of Summer, it's likely that the noon sun would be behind you, the darkest days of winter, the sun would likely be in the distance north beyond the mountains. and not even crest above the horizon line.

But I could be totally wrong...

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

3/19/2020 7:16 pm  #6

It's tricky to visualise Hyperborea sometimes.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.