!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/21/2020 7:59 pm  #541

Re: Introduction Thread

Hi folks!

Rob from Wisconsin (U.S.) here.

I started playing first edition AD&D around 1983 with some guys in high school and have been hooked on all manner of gritty fantasy genre games ever since. I currently run an old school monthly 1E campaign that has been going on for several years now. I also play in a detailed AS&SH campaign run by a fellow member of this board.

My wife and I attend several gaming conventions throughout the year where we have met a lot of the talented people here. (and hope to meet a few more) We play in as many old school style games as we can together and I usually run a few sessions of this or that as well.

I’ve only been playing AS&SH for a few years now, but I really dig the system a lot. I have started running home brewed sessions at the conventions as well, and it always seems to go over big with the attendees.

I hope to start checking in here more often and maybe become a bigger part of this great Hyperborean community!

Oh ya, in real life......I’m a Runegraver.  (I wish)

1/21/2020 10:51 pm  #542

Big Shiny wrote:

Hi folks!

I started playing first edition AD&D around 1983 with some guys in high school and have been hooked on all manner of gritty fantasy genre games ever since. I currently run an old school monthly 1E campaign that has been going on for several years now. I also play in a detailed AS&SH campaign run by a fellow member of this board.

My wife and I attend several gaming conventions throughout the year where we have met a lot of the talented people here. (and hope to meet a few more) We play in as many old school style games as we can together and I usually run a few sessions of this or that as well.

I’ve only been playing AS&SH for a few years now, but I really dig the system a lot. I have started running home brewed sessions at the conventions as well, and it always seems to go over big with the attendees.

I hope to start checking in here more often and maybe become a bigger part of this great Hyperborean community!

Say, I know this guy!  He runs an awesome 1E game and has some good constructive criticism on a AS&SH game I run!  Welcome!

Other bands play, Manowar kill!

1/22/2020 8:20 am  #543

Big Shiny wrote:

Hi folks!

Well, you do have the ever-present-ale-horn-emptying part down cold.

What? Me worry?

1/22/2020 8:26 am  #544

Welcome Rob!! Glad you found Hyperborea those years ago! Pretty friendly group here, glad you are part of it.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

1/22/2020 12:58 pm  #545

Rob! Looking forward to seeing you at Gary Con. Thanks for your enthusiasm and support! ~Jeff T.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

1/23/2020 12:45 pm  #546

MrManowar wrote:

Say, I know this guy! He runs an awesome 1E game and has some good constructive criticism on a AS&SH game I run! Welcome!

Thank you sir! I would tell everyone how good your game is, but it seems they can read that for themselves. 

1/23/2020 12:46 pm  #547

gizmomathboy wrote:

Big Shiny wrote:

Hi folks!

Oh ya, in real life......I’m a Runegraver. (I wish)

Well, you do have the ever-present-ale-horn-emptying part down cold.

Thanks man! That's a compliment if I've ever heard one.  

1/23/2020 12:48 pm  #548

mabon5127 wrote:

Welcome Rob!! Glad you found Hyperborea those years ago! Pretty friendly group here, glad you are part of it.

Thanks! It feels good to finally be more involved around here.  

1/23/2020 12:52 pm  #549

Ghul wrote:

Rob! Looking forward to seeing you at Gary Con. Thanks for your enthusiasm and support! ~Jeff T.

Hell ya, man! We are looking forward to it as well. We should definitely tip a few cows back again this year.  

1/23/2020 1:00 pm  #550

LOL

1/23/2020 6:46 pm  #551

Welcome, Big Shiny: as you see it's a friendly crowd here. 

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

3/16/2020 3:31 pm  #552

Looks like this is where I should have posted my first introducing myself post 

I posted in the Welcome thread....it seemed ... welcoming!

3/16/2020 3:54 pm  #553

Hello and welcome!

3/16/2020 10:55 pm  #554

Big Shiny wrote:

Hi folks!

Oh ya, in real life......I’m a Runegraver. (I wish)

You sound like a real hidden gem... 

5/28/2020 4:12 pm  #555

Hi all, thanks for letting me join. I’m Simon and from the uk. I’m  just getting back into roleplaying after a 35yr break (returning thanks to The Grognard Files podcast - if you haven’t listened, it’s great). Im currently running a pulp Cthulhu game but fancied going back to D&D , however the new edition doesn’t do it for me. My roots are totally AD&D 1ed and my favourite fantasy author has always been CAS (my dad bought me Lost Worlds back in the 70s and it’s inspired me ever since). So I was overjoyed to discover that this game exists ! May be some time before I get to run a game but I’m feeling very excited by the thought of putting a campaign together. 

5/28/2020 4:15 pm  #556

Welcome! Yes, AS&SH seems almost tailor-made for you! 

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

5/28/2020 4:22 pm  #557

Welcome to the forum! We're a friendly bunch here, with a similar bent. You're in good company if those are the interests which brought you to AS&SH.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

5/28/2020 7:05 pm  #558

Welcome aboard, goat major!

6/01/2020 1:21 am  #559

Thanks all ! Looking forward to exploring this world !

3/18/2021 3:17 pm  #560

Hello all. They call me shankspeare.

I've quite enjoyed digging through this forum and forums past for helpful tips and tricks so I figured I might as well sign up, lest I send Ghul another rambling e-mail at some point.

Man, I love this ruleset. Can't say it enough. After buying the player's manual in September, I finally got to run some real games this year and my friends had a blast.

My favorite moment thus far was during 'Rats in the Walls' when one party attacked the Gnagana in her nest, cornering her. My paladin acted last, missing her swing and due to the excellent initiative system, I was able to describe the Gnagana swiping away the sword and counter-attacking. I loved it, the players loved it, the Gnagana loved it!

Now I'm setting up seeds for these awesome adventures you guys have produced. I especially love how you're breathing new life into those old, but still awesome pulp stories. Beneath the Comet is going to be very fun.

Best Regards

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.