!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/05/2014 12:32 pm  #121

Re: Introduction Thread

Iron Ranger wrote:

Hello. I'm Eric. Got kicked around in my brother's campaign until Santa came through with my own Holmes box. I ended up with his Whitebox and MA and Boot Hill booklets though! Packed it all away in 1984. Just stumbled across Gygax Magazine and that ASSH ad and got it all back out.

That's a fantastic tale on and of itself!  Welcome Eric!

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

4/05/2014 12:58 pm  #122

joseph wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

Hello. I'm Eric. Got kicked around in my brother's campaign until Santa came through with my own Holmes box. I ended up with his Whitebox and MA and Boot Hill booklets though! Packed it all away in 1984. Just stumbled across Gygax Magazine and that ASSH ad and got it all back out.

That's a fantastic tale on and of itself! Welcome Eric!

Yes, that's excellent. 

Also, welcome, ajtheronin! 

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

4/06/2014 1:11 am  #123

Hi everyone, I'm Gus. I use this nickname (The Butcher) over at RPGnet and theRPGsite also.

I live in Brazil, which means I'll probably never get a boxed set at a sane price (shipping is more expensive than the boxed set itself), and I hate myself for it.  I'm currently looking for excuses to visit the US and pick up a boxed set without paying $60 shipping for a $50 game. Meanwhile, I make do with the PDF.

I started out as a wide-eyed 12-year-old with the 1991 D&D Introductory Game (black box with red dragon vs. lone axe-swinging barbarian type), moved on to the D&D RC three months later, and I haven't really stopped gaming ever since.

Besides AS&SH, I'm partial to B/X and BECMI/RC D&D, LL, ACKS, AD&D 1e and Castles & Crusades. Outside the D&D-sphere I've read, played and enjoyed Call of Cthulhu, Runequest (6e rocks!), Traveller (Classic and Mongoose), WFRP (1e and 2e), World of Darkness (old and new), Conan (Mongoose d20), Savage Worlds (several great settings) and Eclipse Phase. And right now Numenera's looking really good too... as you can imagine, I spend a fair bit of my free time and disposable outcome reading, playing and debating RPGs.

I have yet to run AS&SH but I'm really looking forward to. I should be wrapping up an OD&D/S&W dungeon crawl within the next few weeks and starting a long-promised CoC game. After that, who knows? I may yet drag my players' asses towards the jagged black peaks and mist-shrouded canopies of ancient, wicked Hyperborea.

Last edited by The Butcher (4/06/2014 1:11 am)

4/06/2014 6:06 am  #124

Welcome aboard NAJones, ajtheronin and The Butcher!

@NAJones - Glad it's such a good fit for you. I really like the setting too - most of my home campaigns have been sorry attempts to create something like Hyperborea. My first campaign ever had no elves or dwarves (at least not as PC races).

@ajtheronin and The Butcher - I started with the black box about that same time, so I'll always have a little sentimental attachment to it, even if I don't actually play it anymore.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

4/07/2014 4:57 am  #125

I suppose I'll officially say "hi" over here:  Hi!

Started with Red Box Basic in the late 70s, did a bunch of AD&D through the 80s, then got turned off on class-and-level systems for a couple decades.  I'm currently running Savage Worlds with very old-school sensibilities and got sucked into starting to buy OSR rulesets in bulk a couple months ago.  Now I'm trying to figure out how to get my players (who are mostly in their 20s - I live in a college town) to actually try an OSR ruleset instead of saying "Why don't we just use Pathfinder?"

I'm not entirely sure what it is about ASSH that really grabs me, but it does.  I've spent the last couple weeks reading and rereading the ASSH and ACKS rules while waffling over which one I'd rather run.  ACKS appeals to my overanalytical math nerd side, but ASSH speaks to me on a deeper level that I can't seem to escape, no matter how many times I review the ACKS domain management or arcane experimentation rules.

At this point, my preferred OSR rules are looking like an ASSH core with the ACKS spellcasting and injury/death rules, plus the rules in Sine Nomine's Crimson Pandect (magical research) and An Echo Resounding (domain management and mass combat) supplements.

4/07/2014 5:27 am  #126

Hello, Butcher and nDervish! Glad to have you aboard.

4/07/2014 9:59 am  #127

nDervish wrote:

I'm not entirely sure what it is about ASSH that really grabs me, but it does.  I've spent the last couple weeks reading and rereading the ASSH and ACKS rules while waffling over which one I'd rather run.  ACKS appeals to my overanalytical math nerd side, but ASSH speaks to me on a deeper level that I can't seem to escape, no matter how many times I review the ACKS domain management or arcane experimentation rules.

At this point, my preferred OSR rules are looking like an ASSH core with the ACKS spellcasting and injury/death rules, plus the rules in Sine Nomine's Crimson Pandect (magical research) and An Echo Resounding (domain management and mass combat) supplements.

You too?

Put me down as another "multiclass" ACKS/AS&SH fan. Though I see them as different games that scratch different itches. ACKS is my current go-to game for classic D&D; AS&SH feels more like its own thing, a Weird Tales Three (REH-HPL-CAS) RPG with an OSR ruleset.

4/07/2014 10:19 am  #128

Welcome to all the mew members! We're getting quite a crowd here!

4/29/2014 6:58 pm  #129

Hi all. My name is Eli  I go by lige or ligedog on the various gaminig blogs.  Looks like a lot of familiar faces on this board!  I've been playing D&D since 1983 starting with the Moldvay and Mentzer sets (they were both in the store and we didn't know which one to get).  Still basically just play AD&D but I recently ran a Traveller game at a convention and I'm hoping to get to try more of it.  Just acquired an AS&SH boxed set and I have been really enjoying going through it.  It's a great, easy to understand ruleset and I really like a lot of the commonsense changes from its predecessors.   The land of Hyperborea is facinating and hope to get to chance to explore it as a player or DM.  

4/29/2014 7:22 pm  #130

Welcome lige!  I'm glad you took the plunge! 

Morgan

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

4/29/2014 7:34 pm  #131

Welcome! Hope you get a chance to try out AS&SH ASAP.

4/29/2014 8:16 pm  #132

lige wrote:

Hi all. My name is Eli  I go by lige or ligedog on the various gaminig blogs.  Looks like a lot of familiar faces on this board!  I've been playing D&D since 1983 starting with the Moldvay and Mentzer sets (they were both in the store and we didn't know which one to get).  Still basically just play AD&D but I recently ran a Traveller game at a convention and I'm hoping to get to try more of it.  Just acquired an AS&SH boxed set and I have been really enjoying going through it.  It's a great, easy to understand ruleset and I really like a lot of the commonsense changes from its predecessors.   The land of Hyperborea is facinating and hope to get to chance to explore it as a player or DM.  

Oh no, there goes the neighborhood!

Kidding, kidding. Welcome to Hyperborea Eli. Chainsaw is around here somewhere.

4/29/2014 10:04 pm  #133

Hi Eli, it's great to see you here!

Cheers,
Jeff T.

4/30/2014 8:21 am  #134

Welcome aboard, Eli!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

4/30/2014 9:39 am  #135

Hah, yes, we all seem to frequent the same alehouses!
Welcome Eli!

--Ron--

"No interruptions! I am El Jefe!"
[url=www.unseenservant.us]Unseen Servant[/url] for all your PbP needs.

5/12/2014 4:42 pm  #136

Welcome Eli, Welcome all!

5/24/2014 5:35 am  #137

Hi all, my name is Simon, I lurk on the ODnD pro boards and Dragonsfoot quite a bit and ended up here. I'm 27, in UK and only got into old school gaming with DCC. Picked up ASSH due to the setting. I like the writing of CAS and don't like elves. I'm active on various boards across the net, mostly in the board and hex and counter war gaming world usually under the pseudonyms The_Great_Lestrade or Dukeofchutney.

5/24/2014 10:12 am  #138

Welcome Simon and all!

5/25/2014 7:19 am  #139

Welcome aboard, Simon!

7/01/2014 5:11 pm  #140

Hello everyone!  My name is Griffin.  I play all sorts of games.  I collect boardgames, miniatures, wargames, and RPGs.  I've played and own every edition of DND: Whitebox to 4th.  I used to purchase games in hopes of finding "The One"...the Uber-game...the universal truth.  I have long since given up the quest in favor of hoarding. 

I stumbled into my FLGS almost two months ago and the AS&SH box set was on the shelf.  I remember reading a review many moons ago, and was stricken with the impulse to buy.  I am now running a weekly fledgling sandbox campaign set in Hyperborea in said FLGS.  I am not disappointed in the least!  I've been so happy with the content of the box set, that I have encouraged my best friend who lives many hours from me to purchase the game.  He is now planning a campaign of his own!  Thank you for reigniting my quest for universal truth...as it pertains to games of course ;)

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.