!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/28/2014 6:55 pm  #1

The Sightless Serpent is slain!

Just had a great, short session with a few of my regular group.  The main campaign was on hold for a week or so due to various reasons.  I decided to run a one-shot for whoever shwoed up.  I had 2 players running 2 pc's each.  Party consisted of a 5th level fighter, 4th level ranger, 6th level pyromancer, 5th level cleric.  They were guided by Pietair to the outcrop and, using a water-walk spell, did a quick group scouting of the general area before descending into the sinkhole (sans Pietair, his bum knee and all).

The ranger went down first, missing hte nook with the gelatinous cube.  He quickly waved everyone else down and the party traveled into the first cavern.  Whilst kicking deer bones around, the pyromancer was slapped in the back by the cube.  Luckily, he made his save and the party, now alerted, made short work of the beast.

Next they moved into the glowing lichen cavern, scouted the various exits, and headed north(west).  They poked around the entrance to a low-ceilinged cavern, the floor covered in strange dust, and noticed a pair of bodies towards the rear wall.  Deciding that crouched-combat wasn't their idea of a fun afternoon, they retreated from that cavern and went back to the lichen room.  This time they took the North-east passage which ultimately terminated at a pile of rubble.

Climbing of hte rubble carefully, the ranger entered the large worked stone room, noting double doors to the north and south and single doors to the east and west.  Also, a large 12' high mound of mud lay in the south east corner.  They poked the mud a bit finding some small sapphires, but decided to leave it alone for the time being.  They then went to the west door and opened it.

This room was some sort of library,  Therein they discovered the rantings and ravings of a mad necromancer and a large library of pre-green death books, along with a scroll and asome keys.  Taking the scroll and keys, they left and went to the east door of the previous room.

They entered that and found the 20' wide passage heading east then turning north opening into an enormous chamber containing 48 caskets.  They opened the first casket on the right and then freaked as most of hte others began popping open.  Backing out of the room as skeleton upon skeleton moved in for the kill, the pyromancer, with maniacal glee, loosed a fireball into the midst of the oncoming undead, taking down 20 of the 30 creatures.  The cleric held up his holy symbol and called to his deity for divine aid, felling 7 more.  The last 3 fell to the blades o fthe other party members.  A key and some small coin were found, but most was likely consumed in the conflagration that ensued.

Heading back into the room with the mound, the fighter began poking around it again for more sapphires.  This time, he roused the Sightless Serpent!

The beast came lumbering out with a hideous roar and shedding tears of sapphire, it charged the pyromancer.  Stepping up to deflect the attack, the fighter swung at the beast, striking it a glancing blow.  The Serpent redirected and swiped the fighter with 2 rakes of the claw, cutting him mildly but rendering him a statue...

Everyone else charged in, save the pyromancer, who loosed flaming bolts after flaming bolts.  Many blows were exchanged, but alas the cleric was petrified as well before the final salvo of flaming missiles felled the mighty creature.  Disappointed at the meager haul of gems, the ranger left the pyromancer to guard their petrified friends while he went back to Khromarium to beg help of the magicians guild.  In exchange for the entire pre-green death library as well as all the 14 sapphires thus found, and a promise to aid the guild in a future matter, they sent a magic user to restore the petrified fighter and cleric.

With that accomplished, we ended our one-shot(?) session for the night...  Perhaps we will return to this another night. :-)  All in all, this is a fun short adventure that I look forward to completing.

4/28/2014 7:35 pm  #2

Re: The Sightless Serpent is slain!

Very nice! Well, there is still a lot to do in the adventure, so maybe they will head back . . .

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

4/29/2014 3:52 am  #3

I certainly hope so.  They learned all about Ivgah so they are certainly eager. :-)

4/29/2014 7:21 am  #4

Nice work! "Happy as a pyromancer casting fireball" sounds like a great folk saying of Hyperborea.

4/29/2014 7:36 am  #5

I'm thinking that if they don't get back to the game for a while, Ivgah may just slip away to menace his new-found enemies another day.. :-)

And thanks, Handy!  I do like the phrase!

4/30/2014 11:45 am  #6

One of the best things about an ongoing campaign is the use of a recurring antagonist. IMC, Ivgah was never allowed that opportunity. He was killed by a lightning bolt, if I recall. But in my current campaign, I've got a good one. It all started with Harley Stroh's Tower of the Black Pearl, which, by the by, is a fantastic low level adventure, very suitable for AS&SH. In fact, just last night the antagonist of that adventure was back, and the consequences for the PCs were significant. 

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.