!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/21/2019 8:22 pm  #61

Re: pc or pregen generator

Added some more stuff.

* HP: added the field to the form. If HP is not defined it will roll the hit points. 1st level will get max hit points. The hit point rolls will show up in the notes area below AC stuff

* Armour: if you prefix armour if <a> it will populate and calculate AC

That's about it I think. I even found an error in a table and corrected that

What? Me worry?

10/22/2019 2:38 pm  #62

Now it can deal with XP.

What? Me worry?

10/22/2019 8:47 pm  #63

You have earned many sequins for this wondrous effort, thank you. 

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

10/22/2019 10:48 pm  #64

Oh, I'm doing this as much for myself as for y'all ;-)

I'm hoping that I can one day figure out how to programmatically fill LibreOffice spreadsheets and Roll20 character sheets.

Then I could have a single yaml file (which is what the pc_gen stat file really is if you didn't already notice) and generate various character sheets from that.

What? Me worry?

10/23/2019 11:38 am  #65

gizmomathboy wrote:

Then I could have a single yaml file (which is what the pc_gen stat file really is if you didn't already notice) and generate various character sheets from that.

That would be fantastic!

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

10/24/2019 12:09 pm  #66

The march towards completism continues. Race, Gender, and Age are now implemented.

What? Me worry?

1/26/2020 5:36 pm  #67

Ok, instead of actually making my pregens for my Gary Con ASSH event I've been working on a random pc generator. The bare bones at least.

It's still in the prototyping phase (command line program before I get it into the web app).

Here's my decisions so far.

Class selection
  * all
  * random
  * <alphabetical list of classes>

Rolling method
  * 0 selection at random
  * 1-5

Attribute requirement strictness
  * 1 - must meet requirements
  * 2 - keep re-rolling to meet them
  * 3 - raise to the minimum

That's where I'm at for now.

I hope to get this rolled into the web app soonish.

What? Me worry?

1/28/2020 12:52 am  #68

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

gizmomathboy wrote:

Ok, instead of actually making my pregens for my Gary Con ASSH event I've been working on a random pc generator. The bare bones at least.

It's still in the prototyping phase (command line program before I get it into the web app).

Here's my decisions so far.

Class selection
  * all
  * random
  * <alphabetical list of classes>

Rolling method
  * 0 selection at random
  * 1-5

Attribute requirement strictness
  * 1 - must meet requirements
  * 2 - keep re-rolling to meet them
  * 3 - raise to the minimum

That's where I'm at for now.

I hope to get this rolled into the web app soonish.

1/28/2020 7:21 am  #69

Just a thought Giz, but is this for 4d6 remove lowest?

If so, and if it not too much trouble, but could you add a 3d6 option?

The attributes for every character seem superhuman sometimes; but I do (if this is the right word) the traditional method (which is method I by rules character creation, but I do the 2 for 1 for PC, but that not matter for NPCs, unless they important)...

If it too much work or it is just good old 3d6 rolls, then it not matter, etc. Gee hate conversing on the internet sometimes, cannot see any person shaking their heads, yet (maybe they will do that one day, eh?).

Cheers

1/28/2020 8:03 am  #70

Caveman wrote:

Just a thought Giz, but is this for 4d6 remove lowest?

If so, and if it not too much trouble, but could you add a 3d6 option?

The attributes for every character seem superhuman sometimes; but I do (if this is the right word) the traditional method (which is method I by rules character creation, but I do the 2 for 1 for PC, but that not matter for NPCs, unless they important)...

If it too much work or it is just good old 3d6 rolls, then it not matter, etc. Gee hate conversing on the internet sometimes, cannot see any person shaking their heads, yet (maybe they will do that one day, eh?).

Cheers

I'm using the 5 methods of attribute generate listed in the book, plus allowing the computer to select one of those 5 at random.

0 - select a method (1-5) at random
1 - 3d6 in order
2 - 3d6 in order, do this 3 times creating 3 separate sets of attributes. See Discussion.
3 - 4d6 drop lowest, arrange as desired. See Discussion
4 - 3d6, 3 times in order for each attribute. Keep highest roll for each attribute
5 - 2d6+6 in order

Discussion

For Method 2, if I get more than 1 valid set of attributes for the selected class I just chose one at random for now. I will work to make it select the set with the highest prime attribute(s).

For Method 3, I select the highest attribute in order of prime attributes and then any remaining attribute requirements. If there are any remaining numbers they get assigned randomly to the remaining attributes.

I think the Strict parameter mostly speaks for itself.

This is mostly targeted at generating NPCs I really don't care about "optimal" stat distribution. Obviously :-)

I think I can do something like give a preference for attributes that can be assigned or in the comparisons. for example, i generally give greater weight to cn than dx if i can get the hp bonus. i see as a form of armor, so to speak.

i don't think i stated anywhere that the output will just be the class and stat block for now. i'll add gender, race, and name. i'll use colin chapman's character name generator of course. I could also break that out as its own thing as well.

So, that's my thinking of how tf this stuff will work.

Any feedback is appreciated.

What? Me worry?

1/29/2020 7:14 am  #71

That a lot of work, good stuff...

Yes, I am the same, Con, before Dex with my majority of characters (unless its a thief, but that obvious)…

Great Method I, that very considerate, helps each type of gameplay.

Hmm, Method II seems the most awkward, would love to help, but I know nothing of programming nor of any other who does, but I sure there is folks that are willing to help if they know you need it?

your doing great work, you seem to know what your doing, so sure it will get there...

Cheers Man.

1/29/2020 7:44 am  #72

Thanks.

Yeah, Method 2 is...different.

I'm not working through the changes to get this in the web app. It's mostly relearning the framework and templating system as much as anything.

I'm not too worried about getting Method 2 to be optimal. I honestly have no idea how often people use it. I mostly reach for Method 5. It gives slightly above average stats vs Method 1 but a little more Method 1 then Method 3 :-)

I can at least see the end of the major part of this subproject. Much more so then the weather generator project. Sorry Handy.

What? Me worry?

1/29/2020 8:47 am  #73

gizmomathboy wrote:

Thanks.

Yeah, Method 2 is...different.

I'm not working through the changes to get this in the web app. It's mostly relearning the framework and templating system as much as anything.

I'm not too worried about getting Method 2 to be optimal. I honestly have no idea how often people use it. I mostly reach for Method 5. It gives slightly above average stats vs Method 1 but a little more Method 1 then Method 3 :-)

I can at least see the end of the major part of this subproject. Much more so then the weather generator project. Sorry Handy.

No problem, gizmo. I picked up a d14 with various weathers on it and have mostly been rolling that and riffing! Tornadoes ... INDOORS??!!

One question: can you add a random-assignment subroutine for method 3?

1/29/2020 9:31 am  #74

Handy Haversack wrote:

Do you mean like it just randomly assigns the numbers and then sees if they meet class requirements?

Probably doable. I would probably just call that Method 6 :-)

What? Me worry?

1/29/2020 11:20 am  #75

gizmomathboy wrote:

Handy Haversack wrote:

Do you mean like it just randomly assigns the numbers and then sees if they meet class requirements?

Yes ... I guess I do. Or maybe what I mean is, is there way to generate the stats and then see what the set qualifies as rather than getting stats to match a class?

Tornadoes!!

1/29/2020 1:12 pm  #76

Handy Haversack wrote:

gizmomathboy wrote:

Handy Haversack wrote:

Yes ... I guess I do. Or maybe what I mean is, is there way to generate the stats and then see what the set qualifies as rather than getting stats to match a class?

Tornadoes!!

I was thinking about this earlier.

As it is set now, you choose a class, generation method, and strictness.

It then determines if a set of attributes can meet class requirements and act according to strictness setting.

I was thinking that some folks just want stats. Which might just be another type of "class" in my app.

Is that what you're thinking of?

What? Me worry?

1/29/2020 1:13 pm  #77

Or maybe even deeper....

Given a set of stats...what classes does it qualify for? That...is doable but probably not until after Gary Con....I mean I've already procrastinated enough on my pregen prep :-)

What? Me worry?

1/29/2020 1:16 pm  #78

Also of note. Might be a good enhancement on berserker to make sure all the notes are correct. More information is needed under the effects of be berserking.

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

1/29/2020 1:19 pm  #79

BlackKnight wrote:

Also of note. Might be a good enhancement on berserker to make sure all the notes are correct. More information is needed under the effects of be berserking.

I would defer to Ghul on that one.

I don't want to put too much of the game in the pdf's.

There is also limited space on the pdf's for that, but they are editable and you can add that in as needed.

What? Me worry?

1/29/2020 2:20 pm  #80

gizmomathboy wrote:

Handy Haversack wrote:

gizmomathboy wrote:

Tornadoes!!

I was thinking about this earlier.

As it is set now, you choose a class, generation method, and strictness.

It then determines if a set of attributes can meet class requirements and act according to strictness setting.

I was thinking that some folks just want stats. Which might just be another type of "class" in my app.

Is that what you're thinking of?

Yes, that would certainly be along the lines of what I mean.

gizmomathboy wrote:

Given a set of stats...what classes does it qualify for? That...is doable but probably not until after Gary Con....I mean I've already procrastinated enough on my pregen prep :-)

Totally. The first option would be enough for me (I can pretty much eyeball to see what it qualifies for -- and I like the dice to decide).

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.