!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/25/2020 11:47 am  #1

Helmet quick reference

Just whipped these up this morning so I could have all these in a single place to refer to, and figured it may be of interest to my fellow Hyperborea Seekers.

upload image

1/25/2020 3:24 pm  #2

Re: Helmet quick reference

Your Norse examples are actually good. They are known as Spangenhelm and typically are made of 4 panels riveted to metal "straps".

The typical basic Spangen Helm has just the topper and a nose guard, but variations have chainmail hanging from the sides/back, metal "straps" either as verticle straps coming down from the top with a reinforcement behind or almost woven together. Others replace chain/straps with full metal panels. Eye sockets are common on any type of side/backs, and there is sometimes a mix of all of the above. 

In fact, one of the most beautiful (actually functional and used) helms (Looks a little like the one on the bottom right) was one that had the standard 4 panel top, with sculpted "eye" guards that included eyebrows and a molded nose. It had cheek plates that came close to the face and solid panels surrounding the sides/back, but overall the panels was fine chainmail that was "stitched" into the rim of the top and under the eye sockets and nose. It was amazing work and I asked the smith that made it. he said he spent 150 hours on making it..

(Note I say functional, as I used to be active in the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) and actually hit this guys helm with a "sword" (Ratan Stick) and after the combat asked...

OH, And Just for everyone's common Knowledge. Historically, there is not a single instance where a Norse helm has had Horns on it. The only helms with Horns are Fantasy depictions. Now they were found to sometimes have Wings, but not horns.

Last edited by BlackKnight (1/25/2020 3:29 pm)

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

1/25/2020 4:58 pm  #3

Nice work, wish I could just "whip something up" like that. Appreciate the sharing!

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

1/25/2020 6:02 pm  #4

Super helpful, Mick! Can you do body armor next? 

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

1/26/2020 6:28 pm  #5

Very nice.

1/29/2020 12:06 pm  #6

Thanks everyone!

​May attempt to tackle the armor sometime in the future, but the issue is source material. I have some books with quality photos of what still exists in museums and such, but there's a lot of stuff that didn't survive the ages and we only have period artwork to reference. Conversely, I doubt I will tackle the full plate stuff as there is so many different surviving examples.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.