!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/16/2020 6:29 pm  #1

the hex map for the hex crawl

1st draft

needs;

>a texture for steppe/scrub

>probably a fort, possibly a better temple icon/sketch

>some place names

>a key and boarder

done in gimp, using pen sketches as paint brushes over a PDF downloaded hex numbered set from an autogenerator

1/17/2020 4:55 am  #2

Re: the hex map for the hex crawl

That's a nice map.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

1/19/2020 6:04 am  #3

Yeah, love the mountains and the city symbols. In fact love the trees and the water edges. And the hills, nice images...

Is there a chance you can post it less blurred? 

Cheers

1/19/2020 9:54 am  #4

i'll upload a better version once i've done some revisions. The map still needs a fair bit of work.

1/19/2020 5:17 pm  #5

Badass! Love it. Next time I need something like this, I'm calling you!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

1/20/2020 6:05 am  #6

The_Great_Lestrade wrote:

i'll upload a better version once i've done some revisions. The map still needs a fair bit of work.

Cheers Lestrade, that great.

1/20/2020 7:48 pm  #7

ok, so this might be done. but i might also revise it some more, but probably not until i've keyed the hexes. I might decide to rearrange the sites of interest if they are too close or too far apart geographically. 

I went 12 rather than 6 mile hexes in the end, which is a little large but will work i think.

if you want a jpeg of the map; https://i.postimg.cc/2yq7CBQR/larchmere-hex-crawl3.jpg

i had to compress it a little to get it to upload, but if you go to the image upload website and view it, there is an option to download the original uploaded image, which is good enough quality.

Last edited by The_Great_Lestrade (1/20/2020 7:50 pm)

1/20/2020 11:29 pm  #8

Looks great!

1/22/2020 7:09 am  #9

That looks fantastic Lestrade, (comparing it to original maps) noticing the four major cities/town/villages are located perfectly, forests, lakes, etc., fantastic.

Yip fantastic.

Ah, noticed you tell us your not finished, but could you type in the River Yys? You probably notice your self, but it just for caution...

Ach, but it helps, did you intentionally not add river inlet to top lake fro River Yys?

Hope this helps...

Last edited by Caveman (1/22/2020 7:21 am)

1/23/2020 7:03 pm  #10

I missed that river connection to the lake, yes i should add that.

Yeah its note quite finished and there are still a few aesthetic decisions to make.

I need to add;
>River link to lake
> a scale bar
> some sort of key
> some sort of north arrow or navigational orientation arrow
> i need to think about what names to add. THe problem with adding name text is that it obscures the hex numbers. Second the world map i am working from has the rivers, the red desert, death valley (which is really almost off map) and Larchmere named. But someone unfamiliar with the setting may ask for the names of the other towns/cities, for the steppes or the forests. Do i create names? Not decided yet.
> might change the colouration or create a better boarder. It doesn't really look like brown paper, which was originally what i was heading for, but then i got distracted with reds and purples and kind of liked it. Maybe just plain white looks better? more old school.

I will probably key most of the hexes first before a further map update as i might change some of the points of interest once i have written the hex descriptions and drawn up encounter tables.

I also need to be more specific on my intentions. I tend to prep stuff mostly for myself/my players but, part of me has an eye on others. I dont expect to publish any of my work but will happily chuck it to fanzines or free release on the internet so i sort of design with wider accessibility in mind. However at some point one has to head one way or tother. When i did underborea stuff it was a blank canvas mentioned in one or two sentences/rumours in the 1e books. However here using the world map i find it tougher to break from 'canon' and start adding my own names and setting material. This is sort of silly since the whole purpose of the game and RPGs in general is to do just that, take the canvas given by Ghul and write on it. But despite this part of me thinks what if someone else uses my map + key in their game, should i leave it open ended enough to graft in.

the current key and main game planning doc is here;https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vkCJlHC8GiDX3uNftoYkAIee1z1ge0UHBjX2w-brxtc/edit?usp=sharing

1/24/2020 8:00 am  #11

I think the only "important" parts of canon I would think that is worth "preserving" is the geographical congruency with the world map.

By that I mean the lake and river connections mentioned. The size of each hex in the key is important. After that...smudge things up :-)

I know I am with my work so far in Stonebrook. I've cribbed a lot from Caveman's work he did in the area. They are such nicely detailed maps to work with.

Adding detail to an area is I think a generally good thing. If I need something in that area I can grab it, look at it, and munge to my needs.

I think sharing our work can inspire each other as well as make take some of the prep load off for each other :-)

I'm generally lazy like that....which reminds me. I have like 90 days to get my Gary Con rpg event further straightened out.

What? Me worry?

1/24/2020 8:10 am  #12

Good stuff I was not quite sure of you had noticed.

Perhaps one map in white and one in colour, I a bit 'Black and White,' orientated myself; concerning my maps, but the colour map does state: for example: Desert (yellow), so instantaneously when you look at map; you think 'Desert.' so it works both ways...

I be happy with what names you created, a little problem is as has happen for me; is, if Jeff (and comrades) does a scenario in location and names a location in an area I used for something else, so it can cause some concern, but that just the way it is (for example the 'The Sea Wolf's Daughter;' I just keeping my location and plan later to interpose the map onto the small Island I nominated for Blackbeard's land and done the tests and size wise it just fits perfectly, so it works in end). I just think of it as a different dimension or plane others are on and adapt as is.

Again I usually do two maps, one for myself and one for others to use; it as easy as leaving one map blank (with only canon names mentioned) and giving another map with how I see it?

I keep watching with interest Lestrade, this is good work, as usual.

1/24/2020 8:13 am  #13

gizmomathboy wrote:

I know I am with my work so far in Stonebrook. I've cribbed a lot from Caveman's work he did in the area. They are such nicely detailed maps to work with.

Was posting as you post, cheers Giz.

1/24/2020 1:02 pm  #14

Caveman,  I love your work.

I'll just add one more thing about canon.

My impression is that Ghul doesn't want to put down too many...details about stuff because if it was released by  North Wind Adventures then that is how is must be. Which I totally get, but he also needs to sell stuff to generate ongoing interest.

The stuff we the community creates is just scribbling in the sand. We can take it or leave and not affect canon.

Hell, we can change canon if we want, too. Ghul is just creating the framework we jump off from.

Much like how Francisca takes the rules and bends them to work into a Lankhmar setting. Toss out like 99% of the spell casting and it works beautifully. Mostly because of the healing mechanic. You have to pick your fights more wisely because you don't have a priests loaded to the gills with healing spells to pull your butt off of death's door.

Create fearlessly and don't worry what us in the cheap seats are saying. :-)

What? Me worry?

1/24/2020 7:21 pm  #15

gizmomathboy wrote:

Create fearlessly and don't worry what us in the cheap seats are saying. :-)

Snipped many wise words, and in the end: no one can stop your creating...I love seeing others' creations, even if I don't use them directly myself, they are sources of inspiration.

"It is better to create than to learn! Creating is the essence of life."
Julius Caesar

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."

1/25/2020 5:47 am  #16

gizmomathboy wrote:

Caveman, I love your work.

I'll just add one more thing about canon.

My impression is that Ghul doesn't want to put down too many...details about stuff because if it was released by North Wind Adventures then that is how is must be. Which I totally get, but he also needs to sell stuff to generate ongoing interest.

The stuff we the community creates is just scribbling in the sand. We can take it or leave and not affect canon.

Hell, we can change canon if we want, too. Ghul is just creating the framework we jump off from.

Cheers

And totally agree, but I might not agree with Julius Caesar though.

1/25/2020 6:03 am  #17

Caveman wrote:

And totally agree, but I might not agree with Julius Caesar though.

There's a chance he miscalculated.

1/26/2020 6:24 am  #18

lol

1/26/2020 5:58 pm  #19

some sage advice in this thread, thanks

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.