!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/19/2020 8:42 pm  #1

Tower Adventure

Hey, sword swingers and sorcerers!

I'm thinking of placing a tower on an island off the coast near Xambaala, and I'm seeking a brief OSR adventure for the basics of the tower. I might use Stygian Library, but I'm hunting for other ideas. Any suggestions?

I'd build my own from the ground up, but due to time restrictions, I'd rather have something to riff off of. 

My only other ideas were those already mentioned by Chainsaw in the Xambaala thread. That's a good list!

1/20/2020 7:34 am  #2

Re: Tower Adventure

Shincan wrote:

I'm thinking of placing a tower on an island off the coast near Xambaala, and I'm seeking a brief OSR adventure for the basics of the tower. I might use Stygian Library, but I'm hunting for other ideas. Any suggestions?
I'd build my own from the ground up, but due to time restrictions, I'd rather have something to riff off of.

Makes sense, I agree 100%.

Ice Tower of the Salka - An older James Boney adventure in a tower buried up to its roof in ice. You could probably sink this in an "unnaturally frigid" stretch of water near the port, say that it surfaced during a strange blizzard. Problem is, it's for levels 8-12, but you could modify the monster mix to suit your needs.

The Tower of Mouths - An older Matt Finch adventure in Knockspell #3. I think it's for levels 2-4.

Shincan wrote:

My only other ideas were those already mentioned by Chainsaw in the Xambaala thread. That's a good list!

Thanks!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

1/20/2020 1:04 pm  #3

Chainsaw wrote:

Ice Tower of the Salka - An older James Boney adventure in a tower buried up to its roof in ice. You could probably sink this in an "unnaturally frigid" stretch of water near the port, say that it surfaced during a strange blizzard. Problem is, it's for levels 8-12, but you could modify the monster mix to suit your needs.

The Tower of Mouths - An older Matt Finch adventure in Knockspell #3. I think it's for levels 2-4.

Thanks, Chainsaw. I will definitely look those up. (right after I post this, even)

Prep for AS&SH is such a pleasure. Rules and such are easy to find in the core. The adventures are nicely organized, and it's easy to rope in other stuff from outside sources.

Great, great game.

1/20/2020 1:11 pm  #4

Update...having done a little dungeon-delving--Tower of Mouths may be the way to go for me. Right size!

1/20/2020 1:37 pm  #5

Awesome! Let us know how it works out.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

1/20/2020 3:02 pm  #6

Conan's Tower of the Elephant...

Plot from Wikipedia:The story is set in the Zamorian city of Arenjun[2][/url] (also known as the "City of Thieves").[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tower_of_the_Elephant#cite_note-3][3] A young Conan is drinking at a rowdy tavern, when he overhears a Kothic rogue describe a fabulous jewel known as the "Heart of the Elephant". It's kept within a tower by an evil sorcerer named Yara. Once, Yara frightened the King of Zamora after he transformed a prince into a spider and crushed the boy with his foot. When Conan interrogates the rogue for more information, insults are traded and a fight ensues. Suddenly, a candle is knocked over and the tavern is plunged into darkness. However, Conan's sword finds his nemesis in the dark, and he escapes into the moonlit streets. (The Kothian's death saves a damsel, his intended victim, from her eventual kidnapping and slavery.)After crossing a crocodile-infested river, Conan venture into Yara's garden to steal the jewel and immediately encounters Taurus of Nemedia (known as the "Prince of Thieves") who has a similar appearance. Taurus, who is wily, fat, but amazingly agile, is impressed by Conan's daring and they agree to work together as allies. After battling lions in the tower gardens, the thieves slowly ascend Yara's spire. Upon reaching the top, Taurus enters a treasure vault and is killed by the venomous bite of a giant spider. After a desperate battle, Conan crushes the spider with a chest of gems. Conan hastens on in search of his greatest prize, the Heart.Continuing into the tower, he discovers a strange "trans-cosmic being" with the body of a man and the oversized head of an elephant. The creature, named Yag-kosha, is a blind and tortured prisoner of Yara.Yag-kosha reveals to Conan the pre-cataclysmic saga of his alien people, their arrival on Earth, and how he taught Yara the art of magic, only to have his own apprentice betray him. At Yag-kosha's request, Conan grabs the fabled jewel, mercifully kills the elephant-like being, extracts the heart from his corpse, and, as instructed, drips its blood over the Heart of the Elephant. Conan uses the supernatural powers of his blood-infused relic to shrink Yara and draw him into the jewel. Inside the jewel appears a revived Yag-kosha, with his limbs and wings restored, relentlessly pursuing Yara as the Heart vanishes.Obeying Yag-kosha's instructions, Conan leaves immediately and emerges empty-handed from the tower at dawn, just as it collapses behind him. He has nothing after his night's work except for his sword, loin-cloth, and sandals.

Last edited by BlackKnight (1/20/2020 3:03 pm)

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

1/20/2020 9:52 pm  #7

BlackKnight wrote:

Conan's Tower of the Elephant...

Plot from Wikipedia:The story is set in the Zamorian city of Arenjun[2][/url] (also known as the "City of Thieves").[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tower_of_the_Elephant#cite_note-3][3][/url] A young Conan is drinking at a rowdy tavern, when he overhears a Kothic rogue describe a fabulous jewel known as the "Heart of the Elephant". It's kept within a tower by an evil sorcerer named Yara. Once, Yara frightened the King of Zamora after he transformed a prince into a spider and crushed the boy with his foot. When Conan interrogates the rogue for more information, insults are traded and a fight ensues. Suddenly, a candle is knocked over and the tavern is plunged into darkness. However, Conan's sword finds his nemesis in the dark, and he escapes into the moonlit streets. (The Kothian's death saves a damsel, his intended victim, from her eventual kidnapping and slavery.)After crossing a crocodile-infested river, Conan venture into Yara's garden to steal the jewel and immediately encounters Taurus of Nemedia (known as the "Prince of Thieves") who has a similar appearance. Taurus, who is wily, fat, but amazingly agile, is impressed by Conan's daring and they agree to work together as allies. After battling lions in the tower gardens, the thieves slowly ascend Yara's spire. Upon reaching the top, Taurus enters a treasure vault and is killed by the venomous bite of a giant spider. After a desperate battle, Conan crushes the spider with a chest of gems. Conan hastens on in search of his greatest prize, the Heart.Continuing into the tower, he discovers a strange "trans-cosmic being" with the body of a man and the oversized head of an elephant. The creature, named Yag-kosha, is a blind and tortured prisoner of Yara.Yag-kosha reveals to Conan the pre-cataclysmic saga of his alien people, their arrival on Earth, and how he taught Yara the art of magic, only to have his own apprentice betray him. At Yag-kosha's request, Conan grabs the fabled jewel, mercifully kills the elephant-like being, extracts the heart from his corpse, and, as instructed, drips its blood over the Heart of the Elephant. Conan uses the supernatural powers of his blood-infused relic to shrink Yara and draw him into the jewel. Inside the jewel appears a revived Yag-kosha, with his limbs and wings restored, relentlessly pursuing Yara as the Heart vanishes.Obeying Yag-kosha's instructions, Conan leaves immediately and emerges empty-handed from the tower at dawn, just as it collapses behind him. He has nothing after his night's work except for his sword, loin-cloth, and sandals.

An adventure based on this story was published in [url=https://www.dragonsfoot.org/php4/archive.php?sectioninit=FT&fileid=247&watchfile=0]Footprints #13.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.