Being the Official Discussion Forum for Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea™


Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/14/2020 4:36 pm  #2301


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Kondor sees to the left- footprints that head around the cemetery fence, including Gundrabu's fresh prints, and older - a small female's, yet older - a pair light-footed and his own, even older - a lighter-footed and a sure-footed likely armor-clad.

To his right, heading around the cemtery fence, very old marks, almost erased by time, the lighter-footed and the sure-footed likely armor-clad...


 
 

1/14/2020 8:50 pm  #2302


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Kondor leads the group forward.

His guess: The tracks are likely just his and Sol, Tetranna, and the newcomers. Possibly Emral and Malak, but unlikely given the time passing and the snow fall and winds.

 

1/14/2020 9:03 pm  #2303


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Gundrabu follows.

“I thank you again, swordsman.”


“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword
 

1/14/2020 9:05 pm  #2304


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

I'm unclear on which direction Kondor leads the group.

here's the map showing land to the west of the sanctuary. 
With sled tracks, and prints.

https://i.imgur.com/8ndX7Az.jpg


 
     Thread Starter
 

1/14/2020 10:37 pm  #2305


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

“If I may suggest, Kondor, that we take the briefest trek to the doors of the sanctuary? I expect that is north to the edge of the sanctuary, then east, then south, along the exterior walls, until we reach the doors. I confess, I myself must have been turned around in this eternal Night. At first I thought the cemetery gates opened to the north. Now I see that it is west.”


“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword
 

1/15/2020 10:50 am  #2306


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Kondor was just going to go to the Sanctuary by the briefest route.  Out of the cemetery, turn left, continue around the building until we reach the door to the Sanctuary.

 

1/15/2020 11:17 am  #2307


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

“Of course, Kondor.” Gundrabu gives a deferential nod. “Lead the way with all haste.”

[Gundrabu was working from a poorly understood map in his mind. He accedes to those who know better.]


“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword
 

1/15/2020 11:27 am  #2308


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Rounding the cemetery fence, the group turns to face into the forceful winds. The esquimaux and atlantean fall in single file, but the brute barbarian proves an ineffectual shield. The short distance to the entrance takes time and they stay close to the stone wall to guide them. 

The sanctuary's charred entrance doors remain open, the darkness within beckoning some haven from this gale. A frozen carcass of a large winter wolf is covered in snow near the doorway.

All feel that there is no denying that Helios should have risen by now and worry that Coda must have ended at long last and the endless night of Nightfall begun. 


 
     Thread Starter
 

1/15/2020 1:23 pm  #2309


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Iron Ranger wrote:

All feel that there is no denying that Helios should have risen by now and worry that Coda must have ended at long last and the endless night of Nightfall begun. 

[Cool!]

“I thank you for your guidance, swordsman. Now, if you will light my way to the front of the sanctuary. I shall conduct my ritual where the energy of worship most often has been focused.”

[If all is clear, and if the swordsman is willing, Gundrabu will ascend the platform. Once there, he will take the vial out of the handle of the dagger, rinse it briefly with some water from his skin. Then he will fill it and begin the ritual.]

”This shall take awhile—one hour, perhaps. Please, my newfound friends, if you will stay, on guard, during this night, and pray with me to Khalk-xu, in Whom dwells a Light and Dark and All Things.”


“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword
 

1/15/2020 3:15 pm  #2310


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Eirvit wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

All feel that there is no denying that Helios should have risen by now and worry that Coda must have ended at long last and the endless night of Nightfall begun. 

[Cool!]

“I thank you for your guidance, swordsman. Now, if you will light my way to the front of the sanctuary. I shall conduct my ritual where the energy of worship most often has been focused.”

[If all is clear, and if the swordsman is willing, Gundrabu will ascend the platform. Once there, he will take the vial out of the handle of the dagger, rinse it briefly with some water from his skin. Then he will fill it and begin the ritual.]

”This shall take awhile—one hour, perhaps. Please, my newfound friends, if you will stay, on guard, during this night, and pray with me to Khalk-xu, in Whom dwells a Light and Dark and All Things.”

“I will guard you, but you can do your own prayers to the kraken, or what strange idols from beyond the stars you choose. My blade is impatient for vengeance, so be quick about it!”

Kondor takes position at the edge of the dais nearest the door to the kitchen. His lantern is on the dais while he waits with both hands holding his sword hilt.

Ooc: he’s touchy, but I am happy with the scene. Just to be clear, that was role playing with a barbarian who is lumping both the newcomers as sorcerers. He’s on edge is what I was going for.

 

1/15/2020 5:01 pm  #2311


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

The Atlantean, teeth still chattering, averts his gaze from the strange and obscure ritual Gundrabu is initiating. He keeps a sullen vigil near the sanctuary's entrance, clearly unhappy.

"All is wrong; the great Father of Warmth graces us no more and morn has naught come to us, even pale and sickly as it could be. How are we supposed to counter Darkness Eternal...?", he mutters.

Addressing Kondor, he manages a thick rasp: "I will see to the charred entrance of the sanctuary so we may not be caught unawares. See to the interior of this curst locale, swordsman."

Last edited by Holy_Rage (1/15/2020 5:03 pm)

 

1/15/2020 7:55 pm  #2312


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

“I take no orders, sorcerer!” Kondor barks, holding his head up with the noble arrogance of a wild man who never bowed under the yoke of civilization. He holds to his vigil, however, watching the desecrated space for danger while the cleric muttered over the water.

Ooc: again, Kondor is essentially a Conan pastiche, and I’m hopeful that I can channel that classic Howard vibe. I’m with you two 100% on looking out for danger.
I’m sorry if I apologize for everything, I merely worry about how easy it is to type something and make people feel like I’m being a jerk. I’m maybe over compensating?

 

1/15/2020 8:04 pm  #2313


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

fireinthedust wrote:

Ooc: again, Kondor is essentially a Conan pastiche, and I’m hopeful that I can channel that classic Howard vibe. I’m with you two 100% on looking out for danger.
I’m sorry if I apologize for everything, I merely worry about how easy it is to type something and make people feel like I’m being a jerk. I’m maybe over compensating?

ΟΟC: You are not a jerk man, people who think of others and ask about limits just ain't jerks In fact I love Kondor, keep up the RAWR Conan RP or whatever else you fancy! We are telling a story together, that's the beauty of it!

 

1/15/2020 8:40 pm  #2314


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Holy_Rage wrote:

fireinthedust wrote:

Ooc: again, Kondor is essentially a Conan pastiche, and I’m hopeful that I can channel that classic Howard vibe. I’m with you two 100% on looking out for danger.
I’m sorry if I apologize for everything, I merely worry about how easy it is to type something and make people feel like I’m being a jerk. I’m maybe over compensating?

ΟΟC: You are not a jerk man, people who think of others and ask about limits just ain't jerks In fact I love Kondor, keep up the RAWR Conan RP or whatever else you fancy! We are telling a story together, that's the beauty of it!

Ooc: Same goes for me! All you are great, and I don’t believe I’m misreading anything here. I appreciate you, fireinthedust, clarifying possible misinterpretations. Not to worry: I believe I can read Kondor as intended. As far as I’m concerned, we have a functioning group here! (I’m guessing all of us have experienced the opposite at one time or another; on the healthful spectrum, I’m also used to good natured trash talk at my actual table, so no worries either way!) Swords ⚔️


“Our own age is not one which can afford to call its ancestors savage.” 
― Poul AndersonThe Broken Sword
 

1/16/2020 9:34 am  #2315


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Igrest ignores the truculent barbarian and takes stance in the burned out door. Borea's fierce winds lash him with great force and he buries himself in his furs, the lilting prayers of the esquimeaux nearly drowned behind him. 

[ Igrest roll d6. ]

Last edited by Iron Ranger (1/16/2020 9:35 am)


 
     Thread Starter
 

1/16/2020 11:48 am  #2316


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Igrest shivers and trembles, his golden eyes straining against the encroaching frost and the buffeting wind to perceive anything unseemly from his point of vigil.

[1d6 result: 4]

 

1/16/2020 12:38 pm  #2317


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

There is movement in the treeline.

[roll d6]


 
     Thread Starter
 

1/16/2020 3:12 pm  #2318


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

The sorcerer gasps and squints heavily.

[d6 result: 5]
 

 

1/16/2020 3:19 pm  #2319


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

The sorcerer leans into the driving wind, infinite darkness twirling behind the unrelenting snow flurries. When
from out of the darkness a high pitched  whistling flutter as a crude wooden shafted arrow pierces  Igrest's thick furs and  jerkins - lodging deep through his hip!

[ Igrest –3 HP! ]


 
     Thread Starter
 

1/16/2020 7:25 pm  #2320


Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

"Foul curses! We have archers coming from the cemetary!", the sorcerer hisses as he retreats immediately, trying to reach the space behind Kondor the Swordsman.

"Priest, we are under attack! I am hit!", he gasps as an arrow is seen protruding from his torso, blood gushing freely down his dirty, soot-covered furs. Here and there, patches of his fiery robes have become blood red and soaked.

 

Board footera





“Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea”, “AS&SH”, and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ©2019 North Wind Adventures, LLC.