!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/22/2019 2:23 pm  #1

Lycanthropy and moon cycles

RAW for Werewolf:
A werewolf is a cursed man who transforms into a wolf-man at will, except during the three nights when Selene is full and the one night when Phobos is full (see Vol. VI, p. 500: Table 153), when the change occurs regardless of the werewolf ’s wishes.

That seems to indicate a total of four nights per some kind of cycle.

There are 4 nights each month that Phobos is full.
There is 1 night each month that Selene is full.
There are 4 nights per year that both Selene and Phobos are full on the same night.

My question is, under what circumstances does the involuntary transformation occur?

12/22/2019 7:53 pm  #2

Re: Lycanthropy and moon cycles

I would say that the transformation occurs when either or both moons are full.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

12/23/2019 8:46 pm  #3

When Phobos is full, it’s only for one day before it transitions to the next phase in its seven-day cycle. Owing to its longer cycle, when Selene is full, the totality lasts for three days before it transitions. On any of those nights, a werewolf’s transformation is involuntary.

Last edited by DMPrata (12/23/2019 8:47 pm)

12/24/2019 1:15 pm  #4

Ah ok - I was incorrectly assuming they were both only full one night at a time. I should have read more carefully! Thank you for the clarification.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.