!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/09/2019 2:45 pm  #1

Madness

Hi, friends. I saw AS&SH for the first time at PAX Unplugged. Totally impressed me. Excited to jump in. I have a question though--could I please get more info on how/when you use madness in the game? I saw a few comments in the house rules category, but I'd like to hear more. I guess I'd use it for certain cosmic horror moments...but since monsters aren't completely rare, it'd take something special? 

12/09/2019 2:57 pm  #2

Re: Madness

Shincan wrote:

Hi, friends. I saw AS&SH for the first time at PAX Unplugged. Totally impressed me. Excited to jump in. I have a question though--could I please get more info on how/when you use madness in the game? I saw a few comments in the house rules category, but I'd like to hear more. I guess I'd use it for certain cosmic horror moments...but since monsters aren't completely rare, it'd take something special? 

Typically the occurrence of madness will be specifically called for in the rules. 9th level bards can cause madness, illusionists and necromancers eventually can cast Inflict madness, clerics can cure and inflict madness. Many creatures can cause madness such as Color Out of Space as well as some magic items such as Dust of Madness.
That being said as the Ref you can create situations by which your players must save or be inflicted with madness!! 

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

12/09/2019 2:59 pm  #3

BTW, welcome aboard! Did you get to play in one of the games at Pax or become interested in the book at the booth?

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

12/09/2019 2:59 pm  #4

Ah, thanks. Didn't think to look in specific monster write-ups. Just saw the general rule "certain creatures can inflict" but didn't shop within bestiary. 

12/09/2019 8:12 pm  #5

mabon5127 wrote:

BTW, welcome aboard! Did you get to play in one of the games at Pax or become interested in the book at the booth?

Why, thank you for the welcome. I didn't get to play in one of the games at PAX; instead, I simply saw the book at the booth. I flipped through, asked a few questions, then read as much as I could about the book (reviews) since. At the booth, I read the passage about madness...hence my question at the start of the thread. You see, I want to play a fantasy setting (Sword and Sorcery) with the potential for madness. I like WFRP okay, but something about it doesn't quite work for me. And some of the other OSR games are the same. AS&SH looks to be just the right fit for me. About to order books...just after this. 

Also, it's cool that there's a nice community here (it seems). I play a ton of rpgs and chat online about them--some places aren't as friendly as this corner of the internet. So, thanks again!

12/09/2019 8:47 pm  #6

Shincan wrote:

Also, it's cool that there's a nice community here (it seems). I play a ton of rpgs and chat online about them--some places aren't as friendly as this corner of the internet. So, thanks again!

This is a very friendly and helpful community: glad you found AS&SH!

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

12/09/2019 9:27 pm  #7

I think beyond what is in the rules per spells, objects, and monsters, I think you can create other things that fit within those as a general framework.

I can't recall off the top of my head if any of the modules have any settings or such that could create madness within a PC. That isn't too say you can't. I just can recall any examples in the published body or work. Others might recall better than I.

Page 264 of 2e Compleat delves into the effects and with some causes.

What? Me worry?

12/10/2019 11:17 am  #8

Maybe you have found a part of the game needing expansion: as far I can tell. there is no madness/insanity mechanic like in CoC (see horror, lose grip on reality, etc...) but as far as a setting goes that would be REALLY amenable to one, it would be this one. 

Then again, horror induced insanity might be a rare thing in the game setting, considering a Shoggoth popping out of your fireplace and eating your nanny is way more plausible in Hyperborea as opposed to 1930's Chicago. People can get used to anything.

"AS&SH feels like late 70’s fantasy roleplaying from a parallel dimension where Frodo was unceremoniously slain by Conan." - rpg.net review

12/10/2019 11:26 am  #9

Hackhamster wrote:

Then again, horror induced insanity might be a rare thing in the game setting, considering a Shoggoth popping out of your fireplace and eating your nanny is way more plausible in Hyperborea as opposed to 1930's Chicago. People can get used to anything.

Yeah. That's a problem for sure. One I haven't worked out fully. I mean, as you suggest, why should a shoggoth rock your world if all manner of beasts are but a short ride away? At the same time, in my estimation, a good Lovecraftian influence would have to include some degree of mind-blowing cosmic horror. Somewhere between, with a few creatures or massive spells, maybe. Which, I think, would be possible in AS&SH?

I like to think of this stuff...so, thanks for adding to discussion.

12/10/2019 11:46 am  #10

Shincan wrote:

I like to think of this stuff...so, thanks for adding to discussion.

You have found a board of like-minded individuals, you will fit right in.

"AS&SH feels like late 70’s fantasy roleplaying from a parallel dimension where Frodo was unceremoniously slain by Conan." - rpg.net review

12/10/2019 1:49 pm  #11

Madness is covered "lightly" on page 264 of the core book (2nd Ed) but is really only suggestions for what could happen. It's really up to the GM to work it out, and into a campaign. For example, I have some NPCs/monsters that the PCs in my game may run into that cause Fear/Horror when first seen (Saving Throw), and unless passed the first time continue to cause it each time seen till it's passed, but I'm also giving it a percentage chance if they fail their check, to also come away with a possible mental instability for a short duration (1-10 days), but the chance increases each time they fail their check for the Fear/Horror (Saving Throw). ex, Fail the first save, roll a percent and get a madness on 5%, the second fail would be 10%, the third fail 20%. And the madness would be at DM's digression, but for 1D10 Hours (on the first fail), Days (second Fail) and weeks (on the third fail) Months on fourth if it could get that far...

Last edited by BlackKnight (12/10/2019 1:56 pm)

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

12/10/2019 1:59 pm  #12

BlackKnight wrote:

Madness is covered "lightly" on page 264 of the core book (2nd Ed) but is really only suggestions for what could happen. It's really up to the GM to work it out, and into a campaign. For example, I have some NPCs/monsters that the PCs in my game may run into that cause Fear/Horror when first seen (Saving Throw), and unless passed the first time continue to cause it each time seen till it's passed, but I'm also giving it a percentage chance if they fail their check, to also come away with a possible mental instability for a short duration (1-10 days), but the chance increases each time they fail their check for the Fear/Horror (Saving Throw). ex, Fail the first save, roll a percent and get a madness on 5%, the second fail would be 10%, the third fail 20%. And the madness would be at DM's digression, but for 1D10 Hours (on the first fail), Days (second Fail) and weeks (on the third fail) Months on fourth if it could get that far...

. this....or something like. thanks.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.