!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/08/2019 9:20 am  #1

Level Limit to Spells

Has there been any discussion as to the advantages of limiting spells to 6th level? 
It seems to me that some higher level play involves nerfing whatever spells and abilities characters have. By limiting the spell levels it seems that there is less incentive to nerf players and more of a chance for players to be creative. YMMV.

Thanks,
VR/Scott

11/08/2019 7:19 pm  #2

Re: Level Limit to Spells

The main thrust of it is to limit the exponential power growth of player characters. AS&SH is not intended to be a super-heroic, high-fantasy, save-the-world with my nigh immortal character. It's intended to have a more shallow power curve, making for a deadlier and grittier game all around. This applies to the spells and many other aspects of the game. 

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

11/09/2019 10:56 am  #3

Ghul wrote:

The main thrust of it is to limit the exponential power growth of player characters. AS&SH is not intended to be a super-heroic, high-fantasy, save-the-world with my nigh immortal character. It's intended to have a more shallow power curve, making for a deadlier and grittier game all around. This applies to the spells and many other aspects of the game. 

Even so, a band of 6-7th level reavers can wade through tough enemies and can be legends in the cities and towns of Hyperborea.  
I love a campaign with a much lower curve of development. 
I still occasionally get some whining from players who are used to other systems saying "I don't get anything this level" I then point out that wait you got more HP, you got a +1 to FA or maybe a lower saving throw, etc. They want new uber "powers" at each level to rely on vs solving a problem with actual thought.  

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

11/09/2019 3:47 pm  #4

Personally, I love high level play and many of the adventures I design myself are for levels 8 and above.  But I'm firmly in the 1st edition AD&D camp, so the power curve is nowhere near what later editions created.  Since these campaigns involve lots of demons, etc., you need higher level characters to survive.  But so long as there aren't lame things like short and long rests, multiple saves to avoid death, etc., it can still be very deadly.  And player skill is still important since my encounters are designed to drain resources and whittle the party down.

"Could you fancy me as a pirate bold?  Or a longship Viking warrior with the old gods on his side?  Well, I'm an inshore man and I'm nobody's hero.  But I'll make you tight for a windy night and a dark ride."--Jethro Tull

11/09/2019 4:02 pm  #5

mabon5127 wrote:

I still occasionally get some whining from players who are used to other systems saying "I don't get anything this level" I then point out that wait you got more HP, you got a +1 to FA or maybe a lower saving throw, etc. They want new uber "powers" at each level to rely on vs solving a problem with actual thought.

This difference is the major reason I much prefer AS&SH's model: characters mostly get better at things they already have (FA, CA, TA, ST, etc.), with the occasional new class ability and spells at new levels. Gaining new abilities every level makes high-level play a chore, and we also prefer high-level play.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

11/10/2019 12:21 am  #6

My feelings as well.  No desire to track feats, prestige classes, raising ability scores every level, etc.  Over time you get better at your basic stuff, get more hit points, better saves, and more equipment.  That's enough so far as I'm concerned.
The same with monsters.  I love the simplicity of Swords & Wizardry in that respect.  Especially compared to say Pathfinder or 5e, where stat blocks can get ridiculous.

"Could you fancy me as a pirate bold?  Or a longship Viking warrior with the old gods on his side?  Well, I'm an inshore man and I'm nobody's hero.  But I'll make you tight for a windy night and a dark ride."--Jethro Tull

11/10/2019 10:32 am  #7

revshafer wrote:

It seems to me that some higher level play involves nerfing whatever spells and abilities characters have.

That is lazy, bad adventure design, in my opinion. Higher-level adventures ought to require/reward using higher-level spells/abilities (for best results anyway), not handicap the PCs back to low levels. Sad.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

11/10/2019 1:14 pm  #8

Chainsaw wrote:

revshafer wrote:

It seems to me that some higher level play involves nerfing whatever spells and abilities characters have.

That is lazy, bad adventure design, in my opinion. Higher-level adventures ought to require/reward using higher-level spells/abilities (for best results anyway), not handicap the PCs back to low levels. Sad.

And you have to realize that you simply aren't going to be able to run certain types of adventures anymore.

You can't run (for example) a "whudunit" murder mystery with high level PCs unless you do something super lame like give every NPC an anti-ESP medallion. Just give it up and run other types of adventures.

Last edited by Blackadder23 (11/10/2019 1:14 pm)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

11/10/2019 6:29 pm  #9

Blackadder23 wrote:

Chainsaw wrote:

revshafer wrote:

And you have to realize that you simply aren't going to be able to run certain types of adventures anymore.

You can't run (for example) a "whudunit" murder mystery with high level PCs unless you do something super lame like give every NPC an anti-ESP medallion. Just give it up and run other types of adventures.

Yup there are certain annoying spells that will def change the tone and style of the campaign. Except for a handful I like the ones in AS&SH. 

While in my soul forever

11/11/2019 6:33 am  #10

revshafer wrote:

Has there been any discussion as to the advantages of limiting spells to 6th level?

There is no advantage/disadvantage.  Character top out at level 12.  No need for higher level spells.

It seems to me that some higher level play involves nerfing whatever spells and abilities characters have. By limiting the spell levels it seems that there is less incentive to nerf players and more of a chance for players to be creative. YMMV.

Not at all.  If you run tough adventures, the players will have to come with higher numbers (henchmen, etc..) and be very creative and think their way through it at a tactical level.

It's a much different style of play than leveling up quickly and getting new bling all the time, and isn't for everyone.

That's not to say that AS&SH has to be a "misery crawl" either.  Players have to rely on their skill as players, and not cooked in bonuses to the power curve to keep them slightly ahead of "level appropriate challenges."

11/11/2019 9:31 am  #11

Most notably if you're a relative newbie (i.e. never played 1st edition), there aren't  lame challenge ratings assigned to monsters & encounters.  Sometimes you just have to run.  Don't assume everything is "level appropriate." 

11/11/2019 11:44 am  #12

francisca wrote:

revshafer wrote:

There is no advantage/disadvantage.  Character top out at level 12.  No need for higher level spells.

AS&SH RAW acknowledges this is not a hard limit, though. From Vol. I, p.10: "Each character class is presented up to the 12th level of experience. This threshold is the default maximum level of experience attainable. However, the referee is at liberty to expand play to any level, extrapolating from and building upon the rules as desired." This inspired my "Epic AS&SH" house-rules (leveraging the Deities & Demigods extended attributes tables and levels 13+), which I'm slowly working on, and should allow one to use traditional higher-level spells. While these may not be appropriate for Hyperborea, they will suit my Atlantis setting.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."

11/11/2019 1:55 pm  #13

rhialto wrote:

francisca wrote:

revshafer wrote:

AS&SH RAW acknowledges this is not a hard limit, though. From Vol. I, p.10: "Each character class is presented up to the 12th level of experience. This threshold is the default maximum level of experience attainable. However, the referee is at liberty to expand play to any level, extrapolating from and building upon the rules as desired." This inspired my "Epic AS&SH" house-rules (leveraging the Deities & Demigods extended attributes tables and levels 13+), which I'm slowly working on, and should allow one to use traditional higher-level spells. While these may not be appropriate for Hyperborea, they will suit my Atlantis setting.

Oh dang, that sounds interesting!

While in my soul forever

11/11/2019 6:34 pm  #14

mabon5127 wrote:

Thanks, I hope my players think so too! It's mostly inspired by Wallace West's Lords of Atlantis, with some Warriors of the Red Planet for airships and equipment. The foundation is AS&SH, but I realized I wanted to go beyond level 12, then stumbled on that sentence on a re-read...had completely forgotten about it in all my actual playing over the past few years.

11/12/2019 10:26 am  #15

rhialto wrote:

mabon5127 wrote:

Thanks, I hope my players think so too! It's mostly inspired by Wallace West's Lords of Atlantis, with some Warriors of the Red Planet for airships and equipment. The foundation is AS&SH, but I realized I wanted to go beyond level 12, then stumbled on that sentence on a re-read...had completely forgotten about it in all my actual playing over the past few years.

So I ordered Lords of Atlantis as I have never heard of West!  I absolutely love the OSR Warriors of the Red Planet. Our group took a Summer break from AS&SH and played some Mars capers!  As for level 12 and beyond...I eventually want to run a campaign where the players advance a level after each adventure so that we can actually get to the pinnacle of the 12th level!!! As it is we got to 7th / 8th level after 5 years and then started new with 2nd edition.  We are hitting the 5th level now after about two years.  I had also thought about ending advancement at 7th level giving any class abilities beyond 7th at 7th to have a grittier always dangerous game. I'm too much of a tinkerer!

While in my soul forever

11/12/2019 7:19 pm  #16

mabon5127 wrote:

So I ordered Lords of Atlantis as I have never heard of West! 

It's one of those stories where the idea is better than the execution, but I enjoyed it nonetheless: sucker for anything Atlantean...

I absolutely love the OSR Warriors of the Red Planet. Our group took a Summer break from AS&SH and played some Mars capers!

Nice: I've had WotRP since the Beta, and once you read LoA you'll see where I got the idea of ancient Atlanteans/Greek gods on Mars...and why levels beyond 12 looked necessary.

As for level 12 and beyond...I eventually want to run a campaign where the players advance a level after each adventure so that we can actually get to the pinnacle of the 12th level!!! As it is we got to 7th / 8th level after 5 years and then started new with 2nd edition.  We are hitting the 5th level now after about two years.  I had also thought about ending advancement at 7th level giving any class abilities beyond 7th at 7th to have a grittier always dangerous game. I'm too much of a tinkerer!

Guilty too: I don't track XP, and just have everyone level up when it feels right, since our gatherings are sporadic.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.