!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/05/2019 3:18 pm  #1

Sandbox Adventure tools/resources suggestions

I'm looking to start a game that takes place in Hyperborea as laid out in the AS&SH rulebook. I'm planning on running it very Sandboxy. I've prepared 'The Anthropophagi of Xambaala' as a center-piece adventure, but it may or may not occur depending on what direction the players take. I've picked a handful of tools/resources to support this Sandbox excursion ... Ben Ball's 'Hyperborean Encounter Tables' & 'Random Sword and Sorcery Adventure Generator', Colin Chapmans 'AS&SH Character Name Generator' and 'Masks - Random Physical Features in AS&SH', 1st Edition AD&D DMG, and the Midkemia/Chaosium 'Cities' supplement ... oh, and of course my imagination! Are there any other tools/resources you guys can think of, or would use yourselves, that would help run a Sandbox game in Hyperborea?

11/06/2019 4:03 pm  #2

Re: Sandbox Adventure tools/resources suggestions

I found the Tome of Adventure Design from Frog God Games to be the single most valuable supplement to any kind of D&D-esque game.

11/06/2019 4:40 pm  #3

Ensure that the players have at least a couple obvious adventure hooks at all times. Forcing the players to spend valuable game time "finding the fun" is a leading cause of death among sandbox campaigns.

Last edited by Brock Savage (11/06/2019 4:45 pm)

11/06/2019 8:55 pm  #4

Kellri's famous CDD#4 - Encounters Reference offers some pretty handy tables. It's written for AD&D, but I'm pretty sure you can mash it to fit AS&SH with minimal effort. Click below for Kellri's blog, check the links on the right for CDD#4. 

http://kellri.blogspot.com/

Also, I know you didn't specifically ask about modules per se, but in the first post of the thread below, I talked about how I might incorporate half a dozen other solid dungeon locations in/around Xambaala. You might find it helpful too as you think about how to "seed" the area.

https://hyperborea.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=1001

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.