!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/05/2019 9:45 am  #1

"Sexually incompatible"?

How do you deal with the trait that Hyperboreans and Atlanteans are deemed "sexually incompatible" with the other races?

Is it just infertile with other pairings?  Or are we talking different physical traits, like Atlanteans laying eggs or spray-fertilizing them after swimming up stream?  Do hyperboreans have cloning cells they imprint, like Kryptonians?  Are there horrible knee-tentacles that you wish they didn't show off at dinner?

11/05/2019 12:21 pm  #2

Re: "Sexually incompatible"?

I take it as just infertility, not alien physiology. The hardware’s the same; it just doesn’t do the job.

11/05/2019 6:17 pm  #3

Built-in Protection!?!

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

11/05/2019 6:22 pm  #4

fireinthedust wrote:

How do you deal with the trait that Hyperboreans and Atlanteans are deemed "sexually incompatible" with the other races?

Is it just infertile with other pairings?  Or are we talking different physical traits, like Atlanteans laying eggs or spray-fertilizing them after swimming up stream?  Do hyperboreans have cloning cells they imprint, like Kryptonians?  Are there horrible knee-tentacles that you wish they didn't show off at dinner?

I don't deal with it.  They simply don't interbreed for some reason that doesn't enter into game play.  <shrug>

11/05/2019 9:09 pm  #5

I mean, yes to all these things. But...

...but what if Jeffrey meant they just don’t have the same expectations for courtship? Like other people just can’t with them because it’s really weird?  Like Atlanteans have to scream like puffins for hours and hours, slathered in rancid whale blubber, or it’s just not romantic? What if Hyperborean love is so advanced it’s evolved into semafore style flag-waving or the art of mime?

Vikings and Kimmerians just aren’t into clowns, dude. They’re... they’re just not. I’m sorry.

And that’s why they’re incompatible?

11/06/2019 9:44 am  #6

I don't worry about it too much since my players don't worry about it.

If they did then I would make something up on the spot I guess.

Hell, dealing with someone playing a Hyperborean to the hilt is enough of a handful, never mind someone wanting to get frisky with an Atlantean or vice versa.

What? Me worry?

11/06/2019 11:52 am  #7

Kind of makes me wonder when we're going to see some Runequest Trollpak style diagrams!    I tend to go with the non-interfertile interpretation myself.  I think GM wise this would only really be an issue with adventure backgrounds - so no long lost half-Kimmerian sons of Hyperborean sorcerers as a hook or similar.  

11/06/2019 12:17 pm  #8

DMPrata wrote:

I take it as just infertility, not alien physiology. The hardware’s the same; it just doesn’t do the job.

This. But by intent, it is not explained in great detail, allowing individual referees to interpret as they so choose. I can tell you how I manage it in my campaign, but it's obviously less imaginative than some of the suggestions that I've read in this thread!  

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

11/06/2019 12:54 pm  #9

Ghul wrote:

DMPrata wrote:

This. But by intent, it is not explained in great detail, allowing individual referees to interpret as they so choose. I can tell you how I manage it in my campaign, but it's obviously less imaginative than some of the suggestions that I've read in this thread!  

Deviants, Ghul, you can come out and just say we're just a bunch of middle school minded deviants. :-)

What? Me worry?

11/06/2019 4:43 pm  #10

Ghul wrote:

DMPrata wrote:

I’m drawing deep from the source material, from the “essence” of your writing, by letting your propositions play out to their natural conclusions.

See, Hyperboreans are from an ancient civilization, which means eons of history and customs, with highly nuanced communication that transcends language. Their culture formed militarily, but they have progressed so far they also have traditions of art, like Japanese Noh but a thousand times more ancient, more rich, a richness others can never, ever approach understanding let alone attempt.

Semafor mimes is the only medium that could accomplish that, to truly express the thrust of the Hyperboreans you’ve brought into the gaming world.

Or as they themselves would say: up, wiggle, sideways, pulling a rope, invisible wall, wiggle, very strong wind, leaning on an invisible ledge.

Beautiful.

11/06/2019 4:51 pm  #11

Hyperboreans, in particular, thinking themselves a superior race would never stoop to consummating this type of relation with beings of inferior stock!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

11/06/2019 5:50 pm  #12

fireinthedust wrote:

Ghul wrote:

DMPrata wrote:

I’m drawing deep from the source material, from the “essence” of your writing, by letting your propositions play out to their natural conclusions.

See, Hyperboreans are from an ancient civilization, which means eons of history and customs, with highly nuanced communication that transcends language. Their culture formed militarily, but they have progressed so far they also have traditions of art, like Japanese Noh but a thousand times more ancient, more rich, a richness others can never, ever approach understanding let alone attempt.

Semafor mimes is the only medium that could accomplish that, to truly express the thrust of the Hyperboreans you’ve brought into the gaming world.

Or as they themselves would say: up, wiggle, sideways, pulling a rope, invisible wall, wiggle, very strong wind, leaning on an invisible ledge.

Beautiful.

I like it. I get a strong Melnibonean vibe from your suggestions, too; incidentally a huge inspiration to my conception of the Hyperboreans.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

11/06/2019 6:03 pm  #13

Ghul wrote:

fireinthedust wrote:

Ghul wrote:

Beautiful.

I like it. I get a strong Melnibonean vibe from your suggestions, too; incidentally a huge inspiration to my conception of the Hyperboreans.

I had a similar race based off the hyperboreans from Conan, via the Busiek run at Dark Horse. I wrote a module at the time using DCC based off them, back in 2014 or so. In their case I had them using pods for ongoing regeneration, and if player characters press the wrong buttons in the rebirthing chamber they'll have their souls tranferred into one of their bodies. Very different than busiek but I was having fun with the weirdness of OSR, which I'd only just encountered; I don't even think I'd read At the Mountains of Madness back then, which I'm sure would have added more encounters.

Melnibone is a great influence choice. I wonder if the Gormenghast concept also fits? Old, old, old british aristocratic traditions that must be maintained despite having no idea why they're still there.

11/06/2019 7:49 pm  #14

mabon5127 wrote:

Hyperboreans, in particular, thinking themselves a superior race would never stoop to consummating this type of relation with beings of inferior stock!

Yea this was my take on it as well. Intimacy with the "lesser races" would be unthinkable, akin to bestiality at best.

10/27/2023 6:03 pm  #15

Well guys. Apparently at our table sexually incompatible means you can’t reproduce. With that being said, that doesn’t stop my players from spending excess gold at the local Bawdy houses and men’s Haberdashery’s.

Who am I to tell a fella how to spend his hard earned gold?

This is also where I have seen Shaman players abuse the once a week cure disease rule in order to frequent these places.

Interesting times.

Last edited by Vetus Miles (10/29/2023 9:43 am)

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.