!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/18/2019 10:48 am  #2001

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

poking straw with sword. Do any more centipedes come out?

If not: light the straw with page.

10/18/2019 10:52 am  #2002

Kondor pokes at the empty nest, then tosses the paper torch into the hole. The straw and twigs ignite. 
Between the flames Kondor sees the unmistakable glint of metal.

10/18/2019 12:33 pm  #2003

Iron Ranger wrote:

Kondor pokes at the empty nest, then tosses the paper torch into the hole. The straw and twigs ignite. 
Between the flames Kondor sees the unmistakable glint of metal.

"Hah! Gold!"  The barbarian uses his fast reflexes to stamp out the flames with sand from inside and around the hole. When the flame is out he digs out the contents.

10/18/2019 1:27 pm  #2004

Kondor reaches into the smoldering straw and pulls out a 2 lbs. 12 inch long , 2 inch diameter silver cylinder. One end is covered in a piece of glass.

Last edited by Iron Ranger (10/18/2019 1:28 pm)

10/18/2019 1:44 pm  #2005

"Oh, well at least it's made of silver," Kondor grunts, and looks in the glass end.

10/18/2019 1:50 pm  #2006

Behind the glass, there is a domed hollow and there is a small glass bubble inside.

10/18/2019 6:13 pm  #2007

Kondor checks the other end, if there’s glass on the other side, too.  Then he holds the thing up in the room, looking into the glass as well as he can. Holds it up to his eye.

“I remember a merchant who showed me a looking tube when I was a child. You could see for long distances if you had line of sight. Great for ships at sea but we were forest hunters, and medicines were more important that season. I wonder if this is like one of those things...”

10/18/2019 8:01 pm  #2008

fireinthedust wrote:

Kondor checks the other end, if there’s glass on the other side, too.  Then he holds the thing up in the room, looking into the glass as well as he can. Holds it up to his eye.

“I remember a merchant who showed me a looking tube when I was a child. You could see for long distances if you had line of sight. Great for ships at sea but we were forest hunters, and medicines were more important that season. I wonder if this is like one of those things...”

The other end is metal, not glass. Kondor cannot see through it.

10/19/2019 1:45 am  #2009

Any writing or button or markings on the object?

Does the glass open?

10/19/2019 3:43 am  #2010

Off topic: I have a game I’m going to do on myth weavers. It’s a fast hack of Star Wars. I’m pushing myself to start and finish the project, then release as a free pdf hack.
If either of you are available to play it would be great.

10/19/2019 9:40 am  #2011

fireinthedust wrote:

Off topic: I have a game I’m going to do on myth weavers. It’s a fast hack of Star Wars. I’m pushing myself to start and finish the project, then release as a free pdf hack.
If either of you are available to play it would be great.

I'm not familiar with either myth weavers or star wars but happy to give it a try.

10/19/2019 9:41 am  #2012

fireinthedust wrote:

Any writing or button or markings on the object?

Does the glass open?

Kondor looks over the strange cylinder. There are no markings or buttons, but he does find a "soft" spot in the metal.

10/20/2019 12:32 am  #2013

Holding the cylinder vertically, glass up. Kondor stands first, then presses the soft spot.

10/20/2019 7:48 am  #2014

Here’s the link to the game discussion thread. Last page I have the initial rules draft for the hack, more on the way.  It’s not Star Wars at this point, and I may be on my own for this one but it’s good exercise for me.

https://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=482168

Last edited by fireinthedust (10/20/2019 7:49 am)

10/20/2019 2:11 pm  #2015

fireinthedust wrote:

Holding the cylinder vertically, glass up. Kondor stands first, then presses the soft spot.

Roll d6

10/21/2019 1:47 pm  #2016

d6: 5?

10/22/2019 12:11 pm  #2017

My guess, btw, is this is going to be a very, very powerful magical item that my barbarian refuses to use because sorcery is bad. Like a genie comes out, tells him he's got three wishes, he tells it to stuff itself, then chucks the object.  Done.

10/22/2019 5:04 pm  #2018

The soft spot of metal mashes in with an audible click and a brilliant beam of spotlight projects from its inner glass dome at the ceiling!

10/22/2019 7:30 pm  #2019

“Sorcery!” Kondor hands the rod over to Sol. “Here, magician. Tools for your trade are no business of mine! Seems to be some kind of wizards lantern.”

Kondor steps away from the object, and then looks at the room in the beam of light.

“I wonder what else is up the rope from these hanging bodies. Maybe other travelers who froze when they did?”

Kondor tests the rope for climbing.

10/22/2019 8:14 pm  #2020

The rope holds firm.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.