!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/10/2019 10:15 am  #1961

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Nice!

Kondor peaks outside and looks to see if there are any undead or wolves or anything. 

And then he checks the time via the position of the moon and stars. He’s a wilderness warrior not an astronomer, but time by stars is a normal thing he probably can do.  I’m guessing but it seems like a woodsy thing.

If enough time has passed he will wake Sol and get up the rope.

If not, he lights a page and checks out the holes.

10/10/2019 12:36 pm  #1962

Kondor looks out. The bodycount in the courtyard remains the same, scattering of wolf carcasses and the heavy drag tracks from Emral's body. Looking up, the stars seem to be in their places, but you are looking through a wispy mist that is just hanging there, not moving.

10/10/2019 2:41 pm  #1963

Does it look like time has passed from when we went to sleep?

Does the mist look natural or... ominous?

10/10/2019 3:04 pm  #1964

The eternal darkness of Nightfall clouds Kondor's recall.

The mist looks static. A thin blanket overhead and out of reach.

The barbarian's senses kick in. The air is cold and still. His surroundings are silent. 

10/11/2019 10:16 pm  #1965

Kondor shrugs, ducks back inside, and lights a page to peer into the three holes.

“If anything happens, I will nudge you, Sol. Gently.” He says in a hushed tone to the sleeping mountebank.

Then he looks in the holes, left to right.

10/11/2019 10:28 pm  #1966

Sol doesn't stir as Kondor lights a roll of the paper and holds it above the left/south hole. Shadows flicker into the deep hollow. Empty.

He passes the light over the second hole. Thick cobwebs a foot down.
He passes the light over the third hole. Thick cobwebs a foot down.

10/12/2019 5:06 am  #1967

Kondor lights up the webs, pulls back his hand, and watches.  Ice spiders are nothing to scoff at, but the webs may predate the snow storm and curse.

10/12/2019 10:24 am  #1968

The webs of the middle hollow ignite and burn away quickly. Kondor's paper torch is burning away but he holds it until flame laps at his fingertips. The hollow extends another foot or so. There is the petrified husk of a large fist-sized spider with 18 inch long legs lying atop a small piece of folded weathered leather at the bottom.

10/13/2019 12:00 am  #1969

Stab spider with sword tip, remove. Trying not to get too much ichor flow. Then grab the leather object.

10/13/2019 12:10 am  #1970

The spider carcass nearly disintegrates when the metal touches it but Kondor manages to remove it from the hollow and place it on the floor beside him.

He withdraws the leather and it unfolds, revealing two thin hand sewn pouches that resemble socks...

10/13/2019 2:30 am  #1971

Kondor checks the hole below the leather socks.
Then he checks out the third hole, same process.

10/13/2019 2:54 pm  #1972

The hole is empty.

Kondor retrieves a new paper torch for the last hole, Again touching the flame to the ancient webs which go up in a wisp!

TWO thirty-inch long glossy-black multi-segmented insects screech out of the hollow below, unfurling each pair of legs projecting from each segment across Kondor as he instinctively falls back.

Their piercing screams echo in the room as they menacingly gnash their pincers at Kondor's throat!

Roll initiative Kondor!

10/13/2019 11:28 pm  #1973

Ooc: I knew it!  His sword is still at the ready.  I’m at work with no dice but I will respond when I can.

10/14/2019 12:17 pm  #1974

fireinthedust wrote:

Ooc: I knew it! His sword is still at the ready. I’m at work with no dice but I will respond when I can.

HA! I swapped out dice for pocket change years ago!!!!

10/14/2019 1:59 pm  #1975

Ugh: d6 is a 5, d20 is a low number but I moved it and forgot the number. Low single digit and I was going to stab it.

Pocket change: I have messed up priorities I guess. I used to carry dice but they’re all at home for some reason.

10/14/2019 2:15 pm  #1976

Creatures roll a 5 too! Simultaneous actions!

Your forgotten low d20 is a Critical roll so let's re-roll it on a d6. --I'm assuming 6 was the highest it might have been?

10/15/2019 9:10 am  #1977

Iron Ranger wrote:

Creatures roll a 5 too! Simultaneous actions!

Your forgotten low d20 is a Critical roll so let's re-roll it on a d6. --I'm assuming 6 was the highest it might have been?

Yeah pretty much.  I rolled twice, the first one landed 6 on my lap (dropped it), then rolled it on a flat surface and got a 4.

10/15/2019 11:46 am  #1978

Kondor struggles to bring his sword into a fighting position against the two beasts encircling his torso.

One of the foul creatures moves low  - but can't get its mouth pincers through the barbarian's studded leather.

But the second one has much better luck and its razor pierces his vulernable neck thews.

Make a death(poison) save!

10/15/2019 4:58 pm  #1979

Level 2 saving throw is 16
d20: 10+2: 12!  Yay! 

Edit: 17 Constitution gives me +1 vs poisons, so... 13!  Yay!

Last edited by fireinthedust (10/15/2019 4:59 pm)

10/15/2019 6:10 pm  #1980

The pincers tear the leathered flesh for 2 HP of damage, then Kondor feels its poison surge through his veins - searing pain as his blood seems to boil for additional 5 HP damage!

New round,  state actions, roll initiative!

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.