!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/01/2019 4:55 pm  #1921

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Sol, looks like you leveled up too! Roll new HP and make any other adjustments.

10/02/2019 11:21 am  #1922

Kondor pulls the body of Emral with him, and the whip, and heads with Sol to the nearest shelter.  The room where they'd found Emral.  He then lights a fire with the oil and whatever they can find for kindling.  He warms up with a blanket, and eats lots of rations.

He also takes the whip Emral once used, coiling it and putting it onto his belt - to honor his friend.

"We've done what we came to do: find Emral. But he was on a quest. I want to avenge him, to finish the quest he died trying to complete. You don't have to come with me, you've proven yourself honourably, and it's likely a deadly task. But I must go and do this thing."

10/02/2019 2:52 pm  #1923

hp d12: 10!  Real dice, too.

Do I need to roll for anything else? Otherwise, I'll go over the statblock and increase his HP, fighting skill, etc.  Admittedly, I do miss playing a Warlock, but I can wait for the next game.

When we're rested, I'd like Kondor to climb up to the roof. There should still be the rope in the room, and the one outside.

10/02/2019 4:12 pm  #1924

fireinthedust wrote:

hp d12: 10!  Real dice, too.

Do I need to roll for anything else? Otherwise, I'll go over the statblock and increase his HP, fighting skill, etc.  Admittedly, I do miss playing a Warlock, but I can wait for the next game.

When we're rested, I'd like Kondor to climb up to the roof. There should still be the rope in the room, and the one outside.

Nice! I think that's it for barbarian. so That's 23 total available. Current at 7 until rest.
and You go up to FA 2.

After we hear from Sol on his advancements, I'll apply these moves  and his and re-describe the room.

What does Kondor plan on burning to keep them alive in this frigid night air?

10/02/2019 4:46 pm  #1925

I will guess breaking up the bed and burning it. He will wait until Sol has a look at the paper and books remaining in the room before using them for kindling.

Can we block the door with a blanket to halt the wind? I’m thinking it can be on the various metal bits from when the flaming sphere got through the door. Another option is to have the tent in the door way, blocking the wind.

The hole in the roof will allow smoke to go out.

10/02/2019 4:57 pm  #1926

fireinthedust wrote:

I will guess breaking up the bed and burning it. He will wait until Sol has a look at the paper and books remaining in the room before using them for kindling.

Can we block the door with a blanket to halt the wind? I’m thinking it can be on the various metal bits from when the flaming sphere got through the door. Another option is to have the tent in the door way, blocking the wind.

The hole in the roof will allow smoke to go out.

All wise. Add another 50XP.

10/02/2019 6:44 pm  #1927

xp: woo woo!

As that all works, Kondor rests and regains his strength.  He will eat and mourn his friend, and ready himself to (a) climb to the roof, and (b) ring that bell and save whoever that woman may be.

10/03/2019 6:50 pm  #1928

Kondor muses to Sol during their first meal.

“Emral son of Emral is a riddle. He might have children but he wasn’t Emral when he was born. He took the name when he became a firelord warlock. The role includes a new name and a lineage of master to pupil, or to whoever claims the title after Emral. Ur-Varlokr, he said. So he might have a dozen bastard children, but that doesn’t mean they are who he wants us to find. If it’s the next Emral of the Ur-Varlokr, the fire wolves, that’s something else. I don’t know where to look, but maybe a sorcerer could tell us?”

10/03/2019 7:55 pm  #1929

Kondor drags the body of Emral inside the room, wraps the whip around his waist, and pins his tent sheet over the open doorway in the North wall to try to repel the cold and retain the fire's heat. The mattress against the West wall is moth eaten and moldy from being exposed to the elements through the punctured ceiling. 

The wolf carcasses from an earlier scuffle have frozen solid as the hanging explorers. And Kondor pulls the mattress back exposing a single thin flat of wood atop the hard, stone floor. Lifting to break it apart reveals three missing stones in the floor, each with a dark cavity...

Sol probably is readying his tinderbox across the room near a wooden door in the east wall.
Or he could be reading through the weathered books that line the walls.
Or he could be investigating the 2 bodies hanging on the rope through the hole in the ceiling.
He will let the party know soon, with his new HP roll......

10/05/2019 2:16 am  #1930

Sol checks out the books. (ooc: if they're still around)

10/05/2019 8:08 am  #1931

spotter wrote:

Sol checks out the books. (ooc: if they're still around)

The books are badly burned. A quick perusal reveals poetry about the gods set to music.

10/06/2019 12:40 am  #1932

Which of the gods?

I know he’s a barbarian, I just like asking questions. Ugh, stupid Emral dying from poison!

10/06/2019 8:43 am  #1933

Helios, but I would think the Barbarian would be far more interested in getting that fire started, and what he found under that mattress, than in the silly gods of these foreign men.

Last edited by Iron Ranger (10/06/2019 10:58 am)

10/06/2019 6:50 pm  #1934

Iron Ranger wrote:

Helios, but I would think the Barbarian would be far more interested in getting that fire started, and what he found under that mattress, than in the silly gods of these foreign men.

Shows what you know: Kondor is a renaissance barbarian, what Rousseau calls a noble savage. Like Conan, he is a warrior poet.

Had to learn to read by correspondence, but he did it. Slogged up hill both ways for years, to get the scrolls for the course. Famous program all over Hyperborea, I’m sure you’ve heard of it:

Hooked on Phoenix.

10/06/2019 7:11 pm  #1935

Indeed!   Give Kondor another +100XP!

Very well -  Kondor drops the mattress atop the three stoneless cavities and goes to huddle next to Sol; they sit close together while they take turns reading aloud from the the Psalms of Helios, but even their shared bodily warm leaves them stiff and uncomfortable and though their sweet voices ring out to the heavens above like whistling of songbirds made of crystal of his praise - Helios provides no benevolence. They know they will never recover from their wounds like this and most probably die in this frozen church, but the books are just too damned good.

But wait, as Kondor reaches down for another song to sing, he notices a tome of a different bind deep within the next pile...

10/07/2019 7:08 am  #1936

He looks at the strange tome!

Also he starts lighting the other pages and the bed frame as they look. He’s not religious, but a fast reader. 

It’s all about solving the mystery of this place. I mean, the lady was all about water, so why are there hymns to Helios?  Who lived in the room here?

Crumpled pages, then broken bed frame, then lights the fire 🔥

10/07/2019 9:05 am  #1937

The heavy leather cover is slighted scorched and the pages are well worn but free of burn. Its title page reads Instructions for Fine Fettle.  The prose is dense with long descriptions and archaic wordings, even for a studied student like the barbarian reading these passages will take time.

Sol and Kondor find enough dry pages of the hymnals to light and the welcoming flickers of flame dance in the frigid air before them on the stone blood stained floor.

Kondor returns to the bed, alas there is no bed frame he recalls, only the accursed mothy mattress, he once lifted and released in favor of the sweet songs with Sol. Nearby at its foot is a kicked over bowl, spilled ash and incense sticks.

10/07/2019 10:21 am  #1938

Oooooh, okay.  Hmm...  He's not going to read the book, but pass it to Sol.  "It's prose, but maybe something a civilized man like yourself could make use of?"

Was there a door in the wall before? I don't know if Kondor would know about it, but my memory includes a door we didn't get to before Emral was eaten by the leader wolf.

Also there are holes under where the mattress was?  I'll double check in a second but I don't want to lose the post and have to retype.  Terrible headache this morning.

Once he's warmed up, Kondor will try climbing onto the roof.  Is the rope the bodies were tied to still there or did it burn up in the flaming sphere fight?

10/07/2019 10:37 am  #1939

Yes there is a wooden door on the eastern wall. And the burned out door that you entered from the courtyard on the north wall.

The mattress is against the west wall, and yes there were three stones missing under the mattress when Kondor lifted it before.

OODM: I wish I could upload the map, but the image upload button no longer seems to work on here.

|---------------------------------------
|             bowl        mattress       |
|                                                  |
|            hanging men                burned door
|                 dead wolves             |
| _________wood door_______|

10/07/2019 3:22 pm  #1940

Is there a hole beyond the stones, like a passageway or something?  Or just missing floor stones and it’s dirt underneath?

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.