!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/29/2019 2:19 pm  #1

Where is Stygia and Kush?

I was lucky enough to buy the core rules pdf yesterday (Humble Bundle) for less than £2. What an interesting setting AS&SH has! 

But I was expecting there would be a Stygia / Kush type desert region in Hyperboreas but there isn't. The closest fit is the Diamond Desert but that doesn't really meet my expectations. I was more hoping for a hot sandy area with dunes, oasis, and brooding sorcerer-kings and such.

EDIT: Actually, upon another read, the Diamond Desert does more than less fit the criteria. I think first time I  read that passage of text, I read stuff about many diamond deposits, and instantly thought the desert was like, 95% diamonds and 5% sand!

Also, does anyone know where I can download a map of the setting? I did a search but to my surprise, I came up empty.

Thanks all. 

Last edited by Sir Vival (9/29/2019 2:36 pm)

9/29/2019 7:14 pm  #2

Re: Where is Stygia and Kush?

Welcome to the forum! As you have no doubt deduced by now, the Hyperborea of AS&SH is not intended to be the Hyperborea of Robert E. Howard's Hyborian Age. It contains a mix of influences that include but are not limited by Robert's work, including Greek mythology. The map can be purchased separately at DriveThru:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/290139/Map-of-Hyperborea?src=newest

Thanks!
Jeff T.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

9/30/2019 12:42 pm  #3

Ok thank you.

Does a map come with the hard copy?

9/30/2019 1:45 pm  #4

Sir Vival wrote:

Ok thank you.

Does a map come with the hard copy?

Yes, it is a 32 x 40-inch map.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

10/02/2019 9:16 pm  #5

And the map is awesome!

"Could you fancy me as a pirate bold?  Or a longship Viking warrior with the old gods on his side?  Well, I'm an inshore man and I'm nobody's hero.  But I'll make you tight for a windy night and a dark ride."--Jethro Tull

10/05/2019 3:45 pm  #6

Might be worth mentioning that, imho (and a few others 'bout these parts) that the AS&SH engine works swimmingly with games set in and around the Hyborian Age of Conan.

"Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, it's not a game."  ~ Gary Gygax

10/06/2019 8:56 am  #7

And it's much easier to master (at least for grognards like me) than the Modiphius 2d20 game, which we fiddled with and abandoned.

"Could you fancy me as a pirate bold?  Or a longship Viking warrior with the old gods on his side?  Well, I'm an inshore man and I'm nobody's hero.  But I'll make you tight for a windy night and a dark ride."--Jethro Tull

10/06/2019 9:05 am  #8

And much more fluid with muscle memory than Tsr's too.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.