!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/19/2019 11:03 am  #1

Treasure Hunter Class

TREASURE HUNTER (Fighter):  The treasure hunter is an explorer of remote wilds, subterranean depths and the long-forgotten ruins of past civilizations, always in search of gold and artifacts from a bygone age.  Preferring brawn and bravado over stealth and discretion as his main modus operandi, he still dabbles in those arts that allow him entrance to places deepest and darkest.  He can operate on a for-hire basis or find himself associating with a band of pirates, fellow adventurers or the like.  Information is a treasure hunter’s ally.  Whether gained by the waggle of his tongue, the jingle of his purse or the strength of his arm, he is always on the lookout for rumours, maps and other evidence that might lead to unearthing the next “score of a lifetime”.

Attribute Requirements: Strength 9, Dexterity 9, Intelligence 9
Prime Attributes: Strength, Dexterity
Hit Die Type: d8
Alignment: Any, save Lawful Good
Armour Allowed: Light, Medium
Shields Allowed: Small
Favoured Weapons: Any Melee Class 0-3 plus Whip, any Missile weapon
Saving Throw Modifier: Death +2, Device +2

Treasure Hunter (Fighter)
Lvl       EP                               HD                  FA                  
1          0-1,999                      1d8                  1
2          2,000-3,999               2d8                  2
3          4,000-7,999               3d8                  3
4          8,000-15,999             4d8                  4
5          16,000-31,999           5d8                  5
6          32,000-63,999           6d8                  6
7          64,000-127,999         7d8                  7
8          128,000-255,999       8d8                  8
9          256,000-383,999       9d8                  9
10        384,000-511,999       9d8+2             10
11        512,000-639,999       9d8+4             11
12        640,000+                  9d8+6             12

Treasure Hunter (Fighter) Class Abilities:
Appraise Goods: As a purveyor of rare and exotic goods, a treasure hunter has developed the ability to ascertain the value in g.p. of gems, jewelry and material goods.  This skill can also determine whether or not an item has magical properties, although the specifics will not be revealed (see Identify Magical Properties).  A successful roll (see Table 1 below) indicates the true g.p. value is known if non-magical or that the item is indeed magical, as applicable, while a failed roll means the value is not able to be determined with certainty.  Any roll of a natural 12 will result in a false value being determined, either substantially more or less than actual, at the referee’s discretion.  Use of this skill takes 6 rounds (1 minute) per item appraised. 

Identify Magical Properties: If a successful Appraise Goods roll indicates the presence of magical properties, a treasure hunter also has a chance to understand the exact properties of the item in question.  On a successful roll (see Table 1 below), up to 1d4 properties can become known.  A failed roll means the properties are indeterminable.  On any roll of a natural 12, the treasure hunter believes the item has properties other than those it truly possesses, at the referee’s discretion.  Use of this skill takes 1 turn (10 minutes) per property identified.  With the exception of the treasure sacrifice requirement and the resulting exhaustion from casting the spell, in all other ways not previous covered here this skill functions the same as the Identify spell. 

Table 1: Progressive Treasure Hunter Abilities
            T.H. Ability                                   Level    1-2        3-4        5-6        7-8        9-10      11-12
            Appraise Goods (IN*)                             5:12       6:12      7:12      8:12       9:12      10:12
            Identify Magical Properties (IN*)             4:12       5:12      6:12      7:12       8:12       9:12

• An intelligence (IN) of 16+ confers a +1 chance-in-12 of success

Attack Rate: 1/1 melee attack rate from 1st to 6th levels; 3/2 melee attack rate from 7th to 12th levels.  Weapon mastery (q.v.) can further increase attack rate.

Detect Secret Doors: Find a secret door on a base 3-in-6 chance.

Weapon Mastery: Mastery of one weapon (+1 to attack and damage rolls, increase attack rate, etc.).  Additional weapons may be mastered at 4th, 8th and 12th levels.  For more information, refer to WEAPON SKILL, weapon mastery.

Stronghold:  At 9th level, a treasure hunter who establishes suitable headquarters (e.g. building, dungeon, tower) will attract 2d4 apprentice treasure hunters (0th level) who will petition him for learning and who will serve without pay; in fact, they will remunerate 50% of their findings to him including any information or rumors gathered.

Progressive Thief Abilities: The following abilities improve as the treasure hunter advances in levels of experience.  By 12th level, the treasure hunter has achieved full potential in these abilities.

Climb: To ascend or descend sheer cliffs or walls without need of climbing gear. If vertical, the surface must be rough or cracked. At least one check must be made per 100 feet of climbing. Failure indicates the climber has slipped and fallen at about the midpoint of the check.

Decipher Script: To translate texts otherwise not understood. Maps can be interpreted, instructions decoded, and so forth. Ancient or alien languages, however, may remain unintelligible, lacking any basis for comparison.

Manipulate Traps: To find, remove, and reset traps both magical and mundane. Separate checks must be made to accomplish each facet of this skill: find, remove, reset. Also, a new trap may be built if the mechanism is simple and the parts available; anything more complex will require the assistance of an engineer. Thieves’ tools are required when practicing this ability.

Open Locks: To pick locks or disable latching mechanisms both magical and mundane. Thieves’ tools are required. Picking or dismantling a lock may be attempted but once; if the attempt fails, the thief cannot try again until he has gained a level of experience. Most locks require 1d4 minutes to pick; complex locks might necessitate 3d6 minutes.

Treasure Hunter’s Quick Start Equipage Pack:  Studded armour, short scimitar sword, whip, sling, backpack, bandages, bullets x 20, chalk, iron pry bar, iron spikes x 4, large sack, soft leather pouch, thieves’ tools, tinderbox, torches x 3, wineskin (full), iron rations

Last edited by Derek_the_Hunter (9/23/2019 9:28 pm)

9/19/2019 11:19 am  #2

Re: Treasure Hunter Class

I started working on this class when I noticed that the one multi-class combo that seemed to be missing was Fighter/Thief.  As I began creating concepts for the character it evolved into what you see above.  Not exactly as I expected when I started out, but that's how it came together.  Indiana Jones and pirates both served as a bit of inspiration.

Please critique away, I have thick skin, haha!  I really do want your feedback in terms of what parts you think work, what parts don't and what parts may need further clarification.  Thanks! 

9/19/2019 2:41 pm  #3

At first glance, I would reduce weapon mastery to one to start with. Only the pure fighter (well, kind of the cataphract, too, but that's different) should start with two, because (IMO) the standard fighter should have some skills that the subclasses don't. Secondly, although you have put forth a few limitations on identify magical properties, I think there should also be time requirement. When you look at the identify spell, it costs the caster a lot. This skill should not relegate the spell to being a distant second in its utility. I love this concept. Great work. 

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

9/19/2019 3:25 pm  #4

Ghul wrote:

At first glance, I would reduce weapon mastery to one to start with. Only the pure fighter (well, kind of the cataphract, too, but that's different) should start with two, because (IMO) the standard fighter should have some skills that the subclasses don't. Secondly, although you have put forth a few limitations on identify magical properties, I think there should also be time requirement. When you look at the identify spell, it costs the caster a lot. This skill should not relegate the spell to being a distant second in its utility. I love this concept. Great work. 

Thanks, Ghul!  I appreciate the feedback.  the two weapon mastery was just the result of a bit of laziness on my part as I was copying and pasting text.  I failed to make the change.  Thanks for the catch!  Fixed.  I definitely see your point on the Identify Magical Properties ability vs. the Identify spell and will further ponder an appropriate change.    

9/19/2019 4:19 pm  #5

I did a similar class for AD&D called the Fortune Hunter about a decade ago.  I'll see if i can dig it up and post for you to compare/contrast/snag ideas.

9/19/2019 7:58 pm  #6

Also noted that you mention rolling a Natural 1 on the Identify magical properties, that should be rolling a natural 12, as a 1 would be a perfect roll. Your rolling for a Lower than X on a D12, not higher than X on a D20, thus 1 is not a critical fail...

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

9/20/2019 12:09 am  #7

Since Identify can only follow a successful Appraise, it's worth noting that the chances of actually identifying magical properties is lower than the X-in-12 first indicates (with 16+ INT chances in parentheses):
Lvl 1-2 - 10.42% (16.67%)
Lvl 3-4 - 16.67% (24.31%)
Lvl 5-6 - 24.31% (33.33%)
Lvl 7-8 - 33.33% (43.75%)
Lvl 9-10 - 43.75% (55.56%)
Lvl 11-12 - 55.56% (68.75%)

9/20/2019 6:52 am  #8

francisca wrote:

I did a similar class for AD&D called the Fortune Hunter about a decade ago.  I'll see if i can dig it up and post for you to compare/contrast/snag ideas.

Awesome, if you find it I'd definitely like to take a look!

9/20/2019 6:53 am  #9

BlackKnight wrote:

Also noted that you mention rolling a Natural 1 on the Identify magical properties, that should be rolling a natural 12, as a 1 would be a perfect roll. Your rolling for a Lower than X on a D12, not higher than X on a D20, thus 1 is not a critical fail...

Duh right, thanks.  Fixed!

9/20/2019 7:07 am  #10

Ynas Midgard wrote:

Since Identify can only follow a successful Appraise, it's worth noting that the chances of actually identifying magical properties is lower than the X-in-12 first indicates (with 16+ INT chances in parentheses):
Lvl 1-2 - 10.42% (16.67%)
Lvl 3-4 - 16.67% (24.31%)
Lvl 5-6 - 24.31% (33.33%)
Lvl 7-8 - 33.33% (43.75%)
Lvl 9-10 - 43.75% (55.56%)
Lvl 11-12 - 55.56% (68.75%)

Thanks for crunching the math.  That looks reasonable to me in terms of likelihood of success.  Maybe a tad on the low side given the chance of a false result.  

Last edited by Derek_the_Hunter (9/20/2019 7:25 pm)

9/20/2019 7:36 pm  #11

After further discussion and contemplation I have decided to remove the Identify Magical Properties ability altogether, along with the Climb ability, and instead increase the Hit Die to d10.

9/20/2019 7:57 pm  #12

Derek_the_Hunter wrote:

After further discussion and contemplation I have decided to remove the Identify Magical Properties ability altogether, along with the Climb ability, and instead increase the Hit Die to d10.

Any chance to repost the original? or PM? I much preferred it - just more fun in the party.

Last edited by Iron Ranger (9/20/2019 7:58 pm)

9/20/2019 8:24 pm  #13

Iron Ranger wrote:

Any chance to repost the original? or PM? I much preferred it - just more fun in the party.

Hah, good point.  It does seem kind of mundane now.  Unfortunately, I had that version saved on my work laptop which I left...at work.  I might go back to the original but if not, I'll definitely PM it to you on Monday.    

Last edited by Derek_the_Hunter (9/20/2019 8:29 pm)

9/20/2019 9:56 pm  #14

Derek_the_Hunter wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

Hah, good point.  It does seem kind of mundane now.  Unfortunately, I had that version saved on my work laptop which I left...at work.  I might go back to the original but if not, I'll definitely PM it to you on Monday.    

Thanks man! Looking forward to raiding some tombs, Climbing out and Identifying That Magic bling bling!!

9/21/2019 8:39 am  #15

Here you go, my 1e Fortune Hunter.  I used to have some homebrew tracking rules based on the Unearthed Arcana rules, which were modified by the tracker's familiarity with environments, so that's what those references are about.

The Fortune Hunter
Role:
Fortune Hunters are free spirits who inhabit the wilder places of the earth, be they
underground, in forests, or lost valleys. Often, these adventurers spend their time raiding
dusty tombs, searching steamy jungles for hints of lost civilizations, or perhaps delving under
thriving metropolises to unearth ancient undercities, discovering adventure (and wealth!) in
any locale.
Fortune Hunters are by necessity Jacks-of-all-trades. Combining skills from Fighters, Rangers,
and Thieves, the Fortune Hunter is the Swiss Army knife of a band of adventurers, complete
with a sporq.
Mechanics:
Advance as a Fighter
Attack and Save as a Thief
Hit Die: d8
Alignment: Any
Race: Any
May not Multi-class
Min Ability Scores: DEX:10 WIS:10
Must Pick Primary/Secondary Environments as Rangers/Striders/Scouts (see those docs)
Class Abilities:
Fortune Hunters have the following Thief Abilities, at the same level:
• Open Locks
• Find/Remove Traps
• Move Silently
• Hide in Shadows
• Hear Noise
• Climb Walls
Fortune Hunters have the following Ranger Abilities:
• Tracking (one environment must be dungeon, underdark, or city)
• Surprise
In addition to the above class-oriented abilities, Fortune Hunters Detect Secret doors as well as
elves, regardless of race.
Weapons: shortbow, caltrop, club, crossbow (hand), dagger, dart, knife, sap, sling, broad
sword, falchion, longsword, shortsword
Armor: Leather, Studded Leather, Elven Chain, Bucklers

9/23/2019 7:10 am  #16

Iron Ranger wrote:

Derek_the_Hunter wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

Thanks man! Looking forward to raiding some tombs, Climbing out and Identifying That Magic bling bling!!

Aaaaaand we're back to the original, although I lessened the difficulty of the Identify check by one.  I also specifically referenced the Identify spell to serve as a guideline for how the skill works. 

Last edited by Derek_the_Hunter (9/23/2019 7:23 am)

9/23/2019 7:12 am  #17

francisca wrote:

Here you go, my 1e Fortune Hunter.  I used to have some homebrew tracking rules based on the Unearthed Arcana rules, which were modified by the tracker's familiarity with environments, so that's what those references are about.

Thanks, francisca!  This is great.  I don't think I'm going to change the Treasure Hunter based on it, but I do think I'll steal it and use as is! 

9/23/2019 8:38 pm  #18

Derek_the_Hunter wrote:

TREASURE HUNTER (Fighter):  The treasure hunter is an explorer of remote wilds, subterranean depths and the long-forgotten ruins of past civilizations, always in search of gold and artifacts from a bygone age.  Preferring brawn and bravado over stealth and discretion as his main modus operandi, he still dabbles in those arts that allow him entrance to places deepest and darkest.  He can operate on a for-hire basis or find himself associating with a band of pirates, fellow adventurers or the like.  Information is a treasure hunter’s ally.  Whether gained by the waggle of his tongue, the jingle of his purse or the strength of his arm, he is always on the lookout for rumours, maps and other evidence that might lead to unearthing the next “score of a lifetime”.

Attribute Requirements: Strength 9, Dexterity 9, Intelligence 9
Prime Attributes: Strength, Dexterity
Hit Die Type: d8
Alignment: Any, save Lawful Good
Armour Allowed: Light, Medium
Shields Allowed: Small
Favoured Weapons: Any Melee Class 0-3 plus Whip, any Missile weapon
Saving Throw Modifier: Death +2, Device +2

Treasure Hunter (Fighter)
Lvl       EP                               HD                  FA                  
1          0-1,999                      1d8                  1
2          2,000-3,999               2d8                  2
3          4,000-7,999               3d8                  3
4          8,000-15,999             4d8                  4
5          16,000-31,999           5d8                  5
6          32,000-63,999           6d8                  6
7          64,000-127,999         7d8                  7
8          128,000-255,999       8d8                  8
9          256,000-383,999       9d8                  9
10        384,000-511,999       9d8+2             10
11        512,000-639,999       9d8+4             11
12        640,000+                  9d8+6             12

Treasure Hunter (Fighter) Class Abilities:
Appraise Goods: As a purveyor of rare and exotic goods, a treasure hunter has developed the ability to ascertain the value in g.p. of gems, jewelry and material goods.  This skill can also determine whether or not an item has magical properties, although the specifics will not be revealed (see Identify Magical Properties below).  A successful roll (see Table 1 below) indicates the true g.p. value is known if non-magical or that the item is indeed magical, as applicable, while a failed roll means the value is not able to be determined with certainty.  Any roll of a natural 12 will result in a false value being determined, either substantially more or less than actual, at the referee’s discretion.  Use of this skill takes 6 rounds (1 minute) per item appraised. 

Identify Magical Properties: If a successful Appraise Goods roll indicates the presence of magical properties, a treasure hunter also has a chance to understand the exact properties of the item in question.  On a successful roll (see Table 1 below), up to 1d4 properties can become known.  A failed roll means the properties are indeterminable.  On any roll of a natural 12, the treasure hunter believes the item has properties other than those it truly possesses, at the referee’s discretion.  Use of this skill takes 1 turn (10 minutes) per property identified.  With the exception of the treasure sacrifice requirement and the resulting exhaustion from casting the spell, in all other ways this skill functions the same as the Identify spell. 

Table 1: Progressive Treasure Hunter Ability
            T.H. Ability                                   Level    1-2        3-4        5-6        7-8        9-10      11-12
            Appraise Goods (IN*)                             5:12       6:12      7:12      8:12       9:12      10:12
            Identify Magical Properties (IN*)             4:12       5:12      6:12      7:12       8:12       9:12

• An intelligence (IN) of 16+ confers a +1 chance-in-12 of success

Attack Rate: 1/1 melee attack rate from 1st to 6th levels; 3/2 melee attack rate from 7th to 12th levels.  Weapon mastery (q.v.) can further increase attack rate.

Detect Secret Doors: Find a secret door on a base 3-in-6 chance.

Weapon Mastery: Mastery of one weapon (+1 to attack and damage rolls, increase attack rate, etc.).  Additional weapons may be mastered at 4th, 8th and 12th levels.  For more information, refer to WEAPON SKILL, weapon mastery.

Stronghold:  At 9th level, a treasure hunter who establishes suitable headquarters (e.g. building, dungeon, tower) will attract 2d4 apprentice treasure hunters (0th level) who will petition him for learning and who will serve without pay; in fact, they will remunerate 50% of their findings to him including any information or rumors gathered.

Progressive Thief Abilities: The following abilities improve as the treasure hunter advances in levels of experience.  By 12th level, the treasure hunter has achieved full potential in these abilities.

Climb: To ascend or descend sheer cliffs or walls without need of climbing gear. If vertical, the surface must be rough or cracked. At least one check must be made per 100 feet of climbing. Failure indicates the climber has slipped and fallen at about the midpoint of the check.

Decipher Script: To translate texts otherwise not understood. Maps can be interpreted, instructions decoded, and so forth. Ancient or alien languages, however, may remain unintelligible, lacking any basis for comparison.

Manipulate Traps: To find, remove, and reset traps both magical and mundane. Separate checks must be made to accomplish each facet of this skill: find, remove, reset. Also, a new trap may be built if the mechanism is simple and the parts available; anything more complex will require the assistance of an engineer. Thieves’ tools are required when practicing this ability.

Open Locks: To pick locks or disable latching mechanisms both magical and mundane. Thieves’ tools are required. Picking or dismantling a lock may be attempted but once; if the attempt fails, the thief cannot try again until he has gained a level of experience. Most locks require 1d4 minutes to pick; complex locks might necessitate 3d6 minutes.

Treasure Hunter’s Quick Start Equipage Pack:  Studded armour, short scimitar sword, whip, sling, backpack, bandages, bullets x 20, chalk, iron pry bar, iron spikes x 4, large sack, soft leather pouch, thieves’ tools, tinderbox, torches x 3, wineskin (full), iron rations

And....Back in Business! Thx  Derek_the_Treasure_Hunter!

9/24/2019 5:51 am  #19

Very nice, will add to my AS&SH repertoire! 

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

9/24/2019 7:11 am  #20

More minor wordsmithing last night.

If anyone actually gets to use the class, please be sure to provide feedback!  We can continue to tweak as needed.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.