!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/16/2019 2:15 pm  #1

Thief class/subclass review - feedback

Hello all,

I’m working on a video review for the thief class/subclasses. I would love any input from this community on the subject.

What are your thoughts on them?

Which have you seen in play and how did it do?

Any and all feedback would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
Trevor

9/16/2019 5:26 pm  #2

Re: Thief class/subclass review - feedback

I've only had one in my campaign, a Prestidigitator, and the player seems to enjoy the mix of Thief and Magician. 

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

9/16/2019 5:56 pm  #3

rhialto wrote:

I've only had one in my campaign, a Prestidigitator, and the player seems to enjoy the mix of Thief and Magician. 

Legerdemainist?

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

9/16/2019 6:11 pm  #4

I have seen every one of the Subclasses for the thief played in the previous or current campaign.  The only complaint I heard was that the Purloiner would not get the neutralize poison spell (4th level cleric and they only get 3rd level). The assasin was a bit hard to play with a group as they need complete surprise to assassinate. I would allow the character to sneak in afte a melee had begun and allow an attempt (from hiding) on a distracted target. This is probably a symptom of the type not as presented in ASSH. I've not had someone play a thief class as the lure of magic is strong!  They have all had fun and I really like the coolness of the rogues with spellcasting ability.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

9/16/2019 6:13 pm  #5

mabon5127 wrote:

rhialto wrote:

Legerdemainist?

Had a Legerdemainist in every game I've run so far.
And I played one in Chainsaw's Atlantis game @ Texas this year!

Be sure to check in the Character Class discussion forum, there might be some great insight over there too!

Last edited by Iron Ranger (9/16/2019 6:15 pm)

9/17/2019 4:03 am  #6

mabon5127 wrote:

rhialto wrote:

Legerdemainist?

Yes, that would be the left-handed version...

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

9/19/2019 8:12 pm  #7

The thief and subclasses are one of those classes that are good to have in the party purely from their ability to find secret doors.

I think the legerdemainist and scouts are probably the 2 mostly commonly run of the bunch I've seen.

While I think it is most important to have a monk or runegrave in the party (a shamn will do in a pinch), a thief and subclasses are very hand to have.

Last edited by gizmomathboy (9/19/2019 8:14 pm)

What? Me worry?

9/19/2019 9:11 pm  #8

I've had a legerdemainist and an assassin in my current campaign.   Pretty useful especially for traps.  The assassin still hasn't really tried to use his assassination ability.   Several non-thief classes can climb walls or move silently so that makes the thief types a little less special for some types of scouting versus other pre-3E D&D variants.   

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.