!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/13/2019 11:56 pm  #1861

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Kondor holds his lantern forward peering into the burned out doorway.

There are 2 dead bodies suspended by a thick rope through the broken out hole in the ceiling, one hanging at around 6 ft. and the other above at 12 ft.
A few arrows and a sword lay in a pile beneath the bodies.
The room smells of flowers.

Books are stacked on the floor along the walls. There's a mattress on the floor on your right hand side.

The light illuminates the shape of a man, clad in brigandine. He's lying on his back, his hands lashed together with a whip  and resting on his still chest.

9/14/2019 8:40 am  #1862

Iron Ranger wrote:

Kondor holds his lantern forward peering into the burned out doorway.

There are 2 dead bodies suspended by a thick rope through the broken out hole in the ceiling, one hanging at around 6 ft. and the other above at 12 ft.
A few arrows and a sword lay in a pile beneath the bodies.
The room smells of flowers.

Books are stacked on the floor along the walls. There's a mattress on the floor on your right hand side.

The light illuminates the shape of a man, clad in brigandine. He's lying on his back, his hands lashed together with a whip  and resting on his still chest.

“Emral!” Kondor rushes to the body on the bed, turning it over, desperate for signs of life. He unbinds the hands from the whips coils.

“Speak to me, sword brother! Emral!!!”

9/14/2019 10:33 am  #1863

The platinum pieces holding the Warlocks eyes closed fall to floor, ringing out a perfect pitch against the blood stained stone floor.

"Who dares wake the dead?" croaks a gravel voice through a stiffening larynx.

Last edited by Iron Ranger (9/14/2019 3:01 pm)

9/14/2019 10:36 am  #1864

Sol watches the Barbarian rush inside the building and with the sudden loss of lamp light now notices that the bell high in the belfry is glowing crimson.

9/14/2019 3:01 pm  #1865

"Hey Kondor...you might want to come over here."

9/14/2019 3:02 pm  #1866

spotter wrote:

"Hey Kondor...you might want to come over here."

The bell glows brighter still...

9/14/2019 5:23 pm  #1867

Iron Ranger wrote:

The platinum pieces holding the Warlocks eyes closed fall to floor, ringing out a perfect pitch against the blood stained stone floor.

"Who dares wake the dead?" croaks a gravel voice through a stiffening larynx.

“Dead?!” Kondor snatches his sword as he leaps back from the body as from an asp. His voice is a croak too, but one of grief and anger.

“I come for my sword brother, the fire lord Emral. I came to save him, or if needed, avenge him!”

9/14/2019 5:27 pm  #1868

His deep wounds not yet congealed fully, the corpse rises, his eyes a clouded milky gloss.

"I am the wielder of hellfire!" he croaks, and tosses the loosened whip to the floor. His arms outright ending in clutching claws ..... and a forming Sphere of Flame!

{declare phase 1 actions, roll int. ]

Last edited by Iron Ranger (9/14/2019 6:42 pm)

9/16/2019 11:31 am  #1869

ooc: Ahh!  Also: did he have a flaming sphere prepared when he died?  (knows full well it's a new monster with at-will flaming spheres)

"Emral! Swordbrother! No, a foul spirit in his flesh. You will pay for defiling his body, fiend!"

Kondor knows the power of the flaming sphere spell from Emral's discussions. Instead of fighting him, the barbarian leaps back and up onto the rope from the ceiling - the hanging frozen bodies!  He uses the bodies as cover, to absorb the flames from the spell; and prepares to swing on the rope to chop at the undead abomination's head!

int:  11 (on a d20)
second d20 roll for whatever, either jumping or saving against the sphere:  6  (so... good if I go first, awful if I go last?)

9/16/2019 12:07 pm  #1870

FYI: Group initiative is a d6.  I'll call this 11 - a 4!

Sol, what will you do?

9/18/2019 8:24 am  #1871

Sol rushes in, sword drawn, ready to kill.

19 on a d20. (actually rolled that just in case you were wondering)

9/18/2019 8:28 am  #1872

spotter wrote:

Ha! No I trust my players' rolls!

9/18/2019 6:44 pm  #1873

Iron Ranger wrote:

spotter wrote:

Ha! No I trust my players' rolls!

Anything you need from us?

9/19/2019 8:31 am  #1874

The ball of flames spins away from Emral's pointing finger toward Kondor, as the barbarian leaps for the hanging rope....

But the sheer volume of the great warrior snaps the frozen twine and the barbarian falls to the stone floor, the 2 hanging bodies shield Kondor from the brunt of the fire and burst into flames atop him.

[Condor roll d20.]

Sol rushes into the room. The lantern has fallen to the floor and gone out, a puddle of oil set ablaze around it on the floor. Kondor is engulfed inside a ball of fire and an amor clad sorcerer stands at a makeshift bed before him, his finger seemingly controlling the sphere of deadly flame.

Last edited by Iron Ranger (9/19/2019 2:16 pm)

9/19/2019 2:00 pm  #1875

Kondor has rolled a 15, using what seems to be a google dice app. I’m away from home right now or I would would use the real thing, but this is handy.

9/19/2019 2:15 pm  #1876

You can let this eldritch roll stand or we can wait for a roll based on the laws of stone and steel. Up to you.

9/19/2019 3:07 pm  #1877

Iron Ranger wrote:

You can let this eldritch roll stand or we can wait for a roll based on the laws of stone and steel. Up to you.

(mutter, mumble, now has to roleplay his barbarian's suspicion of sorcery via ludite dice use...)

Okay, rolling:  8.  I assume... lower is better?

9/19/2019 3:30 pm  #1878

fireinthedust wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

(mutter, mumble, now has to roleplay his barbarian's suspicion of sorcery via ludite dice use...)

Okay, rolling:  8.  I assume... lower is better?

No! it's worse! It burns!!

The flames find their way inside the barbarian's winter cloak and beneath his studded leather, burning his weathered skin for 5 HP of damage.

The bodies atop Kondor roar with flame as the magical inferno ball dissipates before Sol's very eyes !!!

[End of Phase one.  Sol has an attack for Phase 2 if he wants.]

9/19/2019 4:58 pm  #1879

Is the flaming sphere gone?

Can Kondor throw the bodies at the undead formerly known as Emral?

9/19/2019 5:55 pm  #1880

fireinthedust wrote:

Is the flaming sphere gone?

Can Kondor throw the bodies at the undead formerly known as Emral?

[Depends on if Sol uses phase 2 of the this round.  Kondor can throw bodies next round, which are on fire, like Kondor.]

Last edited by Iron Ranger (9/19/2019 5:56 pm)

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.