!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/02/2019 10:38 pm  #1

Magic Armor and Damage Reduction

In Volume V of the manual under "Magic Armour," it is stated that magical armor is reduced in weight class by one.  So heavy armor would become medium armor.  Since damage reduction in armor appears to be associated with weight class, does the DR also get reduced on magical armor?  For instance, does the DR of plate mail drop from 2 to 1 if that plate mail is magical?  I wouldn't think so, but I'd like some clarification.

9/03/2019 4:23 am  #2

Re: Magic Armor and Damage Reduction

I'd rule no change: it's less cumbersome (being magical), but not less protective than it's unmagical counterpart.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

9/03/2019 5:36 am  #3

Magical armour is also about 50% lighter than
comparable non-magical armour. Thus, heavy armour
becomes medium; medium armour becomes light; and
light armour becomes as unencumbering as normal
clothing.

No, I think the heavy to medium, etc..., re-classification would only apply to encumbrance.

Last edited by francisca (9/03/2019 5:36 am)

9/03/2019 8:57 am  #4

rhialto wrote:

I'd rule no change: it's less cumbersome (being magical), but not less protective than it's unmagical counterpart.

I'd rule the same way. Less bulky, but more efficient.

9/03/2019 7:00 pm  #5

Same

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

9/03/2019 10:53 pm  #6

I figured that would probably be the case.  Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something.

Thanks, everyone!

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.