!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/13/2019 3:05 pm  #1781

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

This definitely looks like Malak's handiwork, he must be here somewhere...

7/14/2019 8:00 pm  #1782

Spotter, you are standing in the room on the north. Obviously once a kitchen, a huge pile of ash now in the center of the room. Broken pews from the sanctuary are piled next to it. The windows high overhead on the southern wall are broken out and you can feel the frigid breeze from outside blow in through them. There is a door on the north wall hanging open, a staircase within the wall itself leads down into darkness.

* map courtesy of fireinthedust

[Spotter, please reveal your character sheet so I know who I'm dealing with.]

7/16/2019 8:30 pm  #1783

Sol Varanger
Kelt
Legerdemanist (Illusionist)
Level 2
Neutral
STR 15
DEX 18
CON 13
INT 15
WIS 10
CHA 6
HP 14
AC 4 (studded) (dex + 2)
Gender M, Age 27, Height 5'10", Weight 200lbs

7/16/2019 8:40 pm  #1784

spotter wrote:

Sol Varanger
Kelt
Legerdemanist (Illusionist)
Level 2
Neutral
STR 15
DEX 18
CON 13
INT 15
WIS 10
CHA 6
HP 14
AC 4 (studded) (dex + 2)
Gender M, Age 27, Height 5'10", Weight 200lbs

The brittle wind suddenly whips through the front doors of the sanctuary and in through the kitchen, causing Sol to grab his _____ and brace himself against the gale. He quickly inventories the gear he carries.....

8/19/2019 12:09 pm  #1785

On person: Short Sword, Light crossbow, Leather armor, Clothing (normal.), Gloves (leather), Cape (cloth), Shoes

Leather belt: Small metallic cylinder, Dagger (sheath), Hooked Throwing Knife (sheath)

Small pouch (on belt): 3 gp, 8 sp, 20 cp, 4 small (hard), biscuits

Backpack: Thieves' tools, Quarrel box (20 shots), Hemp Rope 50', Charcoal writing stick, Standard Rations (5 days), Wineskin (full), Small sack (empty, folded), Small crowbar, Wire (small spool), Travel Spellbook

Last edited by spotter (9/26/2019 10:41 pm)

8/20/2019 1:48 pm  #1786

All gear accounted for. The precious 2 hours of daylight is already fading. The temperature drops. The ashes of Malak's fire are cold, but there remains a small piles of unburnt broken pew pieces. The open door in the corner of the room creaks as the breeze moves it.

8/24/2019 3:17 pm  #1787

I look for footprints.

Last edited by spotter (8/27/2019 9:32 am)

8/24/2019 8:18 pm  #1788

The floor is littered with footprints. It looks like Malak spent much time in this room. There are footprints going in and out of the burned out doorway to the chapel. As well as footprints leading to and from the door in the corner which is cracked open.

Roll d12.

8/27/2019 9:31 am  #1789

Iron Ranger wrote:

Roll d12.

Last edited by spotter (8/27/2019 9:32 am)

8/27/2019 9:34 am  #1790

Sol notices 2 distinct sets of recently made footprints - clearly someone else was with Malak, or hunting him like you. 

Last edited by Iron Ranger (8/27/2019 9:35 am)

8/29/2019 1:00 pm  #1791

"This place has the stench of necromancy upon it. I see no sign of Emral, and that Warlock is one of the few I'd trust who wield magic. This place... smells of different dweomers than his. That bodes ill."

Kon the Barbarian strides in from the snows, following the Legerdemainist into the Scorched Sanctuary.

"Careful about those tracks. Let me have a look and we'll know what went on in this place before now."

Kimmerian Male 3 (Mountains) Kondor the Kimmerian6’ 1”, 186 lbs., dark grey eyes, black hair, 17 yrs. old Languages: Common, Hellenic (Kimmerian) Secondary Skill: HunterBarbarian 1Str 17 Dex 17 Con 15 Int 14 Wis 10 Cha 15Height and Weight Adjustment: Height +10%, weight +50%Additional Languages: One Alignment: CG Weapon Mastery: Bastard sword Distinguishing Features: Large build, chiseled features 

Hit Points: 12+1 (13)
AC: 4 (+1, +1, 6 studded)
Fighting Ability: 1
Weapon Mastery: Bastard Sword (+1/+1)
Class Abilities
Agile (+1AC)
Alertness
Ambusher: 3in6
Attack Rate (3/2 with Bastard Sword)
Climb
Draw Poison:
Hardy: +2 all saves
Horsemanship
Leap
Move Silently
Run (base move 50)
Sense Magic
Sorcerous Distrust
Track
Wilderness Survival
 Gear: Winter Furs, Studded armour, long sword, hand axe, short bow, quiver of 12 arrows, backpack, iron rations (5 weeks), wineskin (full), winter blanket, bandages, sack (small), tinderbox, lantern (hooded), lamp oil (flask) x10, silk rope (50 ft.), grappling hook, pry bar, hammer (small), iron spikes (×12), 3 gp (62 ½ lbs.)

8/29/2019 2:59 pm  #1792

Kondor glances back at the wrecked chapel, his keen eye noticing all stones overturned. The Legerdemainist's prey was thorough and greedy.

The light fades, another reminder for the Barbarian how brutal this next night will be...

8/29/2019 3:52 pm  #1793

Iron Ranger wrote:

Kondor glances back at the wrecked chapel, his keen eye noticing all stones overturned. The Legerdemainist's prey was thorough and greedy.

The light fades, another reminder for the Barbarian how brutal this next night will be...

Ooc: spending time tracking, can we just assume that Kondor knows the broad strokes of the story thus far? The basement, the bodies laid out with coins on their eyes showing that Emral was here fighting skeletons; the wolves and rats; the trail leading outside and to the storm?

8/29/2019 4:04 pm  #1794

[I am assuming you are traveling with Sol? 
Or were you separately looking for Emral?

Either way your keen barbarian senses tell you most of the story so far. ]

At any rate, Kondor followed Sol inside the church. There were footprints in the snow leading around both sides of the church, the ones to the south much fresher. 

Roll d12.

Last edited by Iron Ranger (8/29/2019 4:07 pm)

8/29/2019 4:53 pm  #1795

Iron Ranger wrote:

[I am assuming you are traveling with Sol? 
Or were you separately looking for Emral?

Either way your keen barbarian senses tell you most of the story so far. ]

At any rate, Kondor followed Sol inside the church. There were footprints in the snow leading around both sides of the church, the ones to the south much fresher. 

Roll d12.

12!  I don’t know if it’s supposed to be low or high but it’s what I got.

8/29/2019 4:58 pm  #1796

The hairs on the back of Kondor's sinewy neck stiffen as he detects the unmistakable salty iron tinge of freshly spilt blood in a cloud of stinking man breath wafting in from the high broken out windows on the kitchen's south wall.

Last edited by Iron Ranger (8/29/2019 9:40 pm)

8/29/2019 5:29 pm  #1797

His blade slides free from its sheath ready to spill yet more blood, and Kondor steps forward and looks closer.

“I smell fresh blood. Announce your name, stranger, and come in peace- or yet more will flow this day.”

8/29/2019 6:31 pm  #1798

The windows are high on the wall, well above Kondor's reach.

There is a small door ajar in the northwest corner, but only darkness lies beyond.

8/29/2019 6:33 pm  #1799

Last edited by Iron Ranger (8/29/2019 7:27 pm)

8/29/2019 7:29 pm  #1800

I look up at the windows.
"Kondor, boost me up and I'll have a look!"

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.