!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/15/2019 2:48 pm  #1

Becoming lost bonus

So, Becoming lost is d6 based, unless there is a barbarian, huntsman, ranger or scout in the party, then it is d8 based.

I am pondering a rule that if there are 2 different "wilderness" capable members in the party than they are less likely by 1 (but can go no lower than a 1:N chance) to become lost.

So a party with a scout in the Lug has a 3:8 chance to get lost. If they had a scout and a ranger that would change to 2:8.

Alternatively, it just might change to d10 based. It doesn't change the table and the chances are roughly the same.

The reason for this is that the different classes are trained just a bit differently than the others so that combined they are a bit better at not getting lost.

Good Idea, Bad Idea, or Meh?

Last edited by gizmomathboy (8/16/2019 9:56 am)

What? Me worry?

8/16/2019 12:00 am  #2

Re: Becoming lost bonus

Sounds good. Would you account for the growing experience of these scouts as they advance up the levels?
...d10, d12, d14, 2d8, 3d6, etc.?per level? per 2?

8/16/2019 7:20 am  #3

Probably not. I might give less of a chance for tromping around the same neck of the woods for some repeated period of time maybe.

What? Me worry?

8/16/2019 10:22 am  #4

gizmomathboy wrote:

So, Becoming lost is d6 based, unless there is a barbarian, huntsman, ranger or scout in the party, then it is d8 based.

I am pondering a rule that if there are 2 different "wilderness" capable members in the party than they are less likely by 1 (but can go no lower than a 1:N chance) to become lost.

So a party with a scout in the Lug has a 3:8 chance to get lost. If they had a scout and a ranger that would change to 2:8.

Alternatively, it just might change to d10 based. It doesn't change the table and the chances are roughly the same.

The reason for this is that the different classes are trained just a bit differently than the others so that combined they are a bit better at not getting lost.

Good Idea, Bad Idea, or Meh?

I think it's a great idea!

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

8/16/2019 11:56 am  #5

Woohoo! Ghul didn't hate the idea!

I've thought about it a bit and I think I'll go with the die progression idea.

I would have to ponder Iron Ranger's experience idea a bit.

First though, I'll try out the base idea and see how it plays out.

What? Me worry?

8/16/2019 3:42 pm  #6

gizmomathboy wrote:

Die progression would be my preference, too. I wish I'd thought of it!

8/16/2019 6:29 pm  #7

Ghul wrote:

gizmomathboy wrote:

I like the die-progression idea, too, especially if you're going to improve with character levels. Much like Attribute Tests can be extrapolated along the lines of Deities & Demigods: 7:8, 9:10, 11:12, etc.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

8/16/2019 9:06 pm  #8

Ghul wrote:

gizmomathboy wrote:

You did when you changed the Becoming Lost roll from d6 with a party with no wilderness trained classes to d8 to one that does have such a class.

Keeping with the "normal" set of dice gives 3 more improvement levels possible (d10, d12, d20). If one wanted to bake that into the class then those could come at levels 3, 6, 9 or 6, 9, 12 depending upon how generous one wants to be.

What? Me worry?

8/17/2019 10:00 am  #9

gizmomathboy wrote:

Ghul wrote:

gizmomathboy wrote:

You did when you changed the Becoming Lost roll from d6 with a party with no wilderness trained classes to d8 to one that does have such a class.

Keeping with the "normal" set of dice gives 3 more improvement levels possible (d10, d12, d20). If one wanted to bake that into the class then those could come at levels 3, 6, 9 or 6, 9, 12 depending upon how generous one wants to be.

Oh, I know -- I meant for situations like you described, in which multiple character types with that skillset are present and working together. 

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.