!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/09/2019 12:05 am  #1

Kraggoth Manor

Our group finished Kraggoth Manor tonight and it was quite the romp.  It really reinforced how much more capable parties get by the middle levels when they have mages with more powerful spells and a fair number of magic items.  Some highlights below [SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T PLAYED THE MODULE YET]

They really made use of the magic/technological items they've acquired.  In this adventure they made short work of the trolls with the flamethrower from one of the earlier modules {Desert Dunes?}.

Since they had multiple levitation/flying spells and devices, it was easy for them to land on top of the towers, take out the ape shaman and fight their way down.

Inside the group's scout used his ring of invisibility to sneak around and back stab the camulon.  With our house exploding die rule he took him out in one strike.

Their cryomancer has two wands of freezing and isn't shy about using them.  The shaman has the Staff of Stygian Purpose and their pyromancer has pretty much all offensive spells.  This trio was devastating to the foes in this adventure.  The scariest moment was when the exploding skull knocked the cryomancer unconscious.  She would hae died had it not been for the shaman.  That trap was deadliest encounter of the adventure for the group.  They also had some trouble with the scything automota. 

They used their radiation grenades from one of the earlier adventures to seal up the ichor pit and the cylinder, which I thought was clever.  The men of ash and flame were iced by the cryomancer.  Throughout the other encounters they made effective use of potions, dusts of disappearance etc.  Reminded me of the Joker's line about wonderful toys from that first Batman movie.  Still a fun time.  Forgotten Fane will be next.

"Could you fancy me as a pirate bold?  Or a longship Viking warrior with the old gods on his side?  Well, I'm an inshore man and I'm nobody's hero.  But I'll make you tight for a windy night and a dark ride."--Jethro Tull

8/09/2019 6:46 am  #2

Re: Kraggoth Manor

Awesome! They used their resources wisely, the way good groups do. Kudos to them.

Sounds like they're pacing well to hit the upcoming Lost Treasure of Atlantis and Sea-Wolf's Daughter, assuming they survive Forgotten Fane.

Where did they find the invisibility ring?

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

8/09/2019 8:46 am  #3

Yeah, the goal is to go through all the published adventures in preparation for my own Dark Treasury campaign.  They've been a bit lucky so far, with no deaths, though several near misses.  Our house rule is down at 0 HP and dead at -10.  Three have been within this threshold over their careers.  Luckily, the shaman wasn't one of them.

Looking forward to the new KS adventures.  Seeing that monster crab on yours I'm wondering where the party can get a huge tub of butter....

"Could you fancy me as a pirate bold?  Or a longship Viking warrior with the old gods on his side?  Well, I'm an inshore man and I'm nobody's hero.  But I'll make you tight for a windy night and a dark ride."--Jethro Tull

8/09/2019 12:24 pm  #4

Ghost ship as an invis ring. My party is going through this part are only at the spiders and banddogs.

They still have their skyship but used all of the flamethrower (and haven't tried to refill it).

They party magician has spotty attendance but we npc him.

The party has a fire thief so they won't have quite the firepower to do what you did.

We'll see if they actually go to the manor or not.

What? Me worry?

8/09/2019 3:07 pm  #5

Spider of Leng wrote:

Looking forward to the new KS adventures.  Seeing that monster crab on yours I'm wondering where the party can get a huge tub of butter....

Haha!

gizmomathboy wrote:

Ghost ship has an invis ring.

That's not the only one. 

8/09/2019 7:53 pm  #6

Chainsaw wrote:

gizmomathboy wrote:

That's not the only one. 

I was only thinking of the modules mentioned. :-)

What? Me worry?

8/10/2019 3:46 pm  #7

gizmomathboy wrote:

Chainsaw wrote:

gizmomathboy wrote:

That's not the only one. 

I was only thinking of the modules mentioned. :-)

Ah, makes sense. His group has played more, but not mentioned them here. No worries! 

8/10/2019 11:10 pm  #8

Yeah, all the PCs are currently 6th level.  So that sets them up perfectly for "Forgotten Fane" and "Beneath the Comet" in advance of the two on the current KS.  Then, whoever survives will be in my Labyrinth Lord cross-over Dark Treasury fetch quest finale.  So far the AS&SH party has done considerably better than the LL group.  None of the original party members has died here whereas the other group lost 3 of their original 8 members, though they picked up a couple hirelings.  It'll be interesting to  see who makes it to that last set of adventures, which is written for levels 12 and up.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.