!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/08/2019 12:21 pm  #1

169 Months of Hyperborea

Well, I went and did it.

I've created a full 13 year cycle calendar.

They are organized by each year of the cycle. So each PDF is 14 pages. A cover and then the 13 months of the year.

I've kept it rather minimalistic. I do however have the amount of daylight by week and any festival that might be happening.

So, I hope they are useful  and don't have too many errors.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wl6806yf67l1hxh/hyperborea-calendar-complete-cycle.zip?dl=0

I also made some booklets. Just print them out on regular letter sized paper on normal duplex/two-sided printing. Then folder into a nice, compact 'zine.

I have a long arm stapler but it's only 4 sheets of paper so you could also trying gluing the sheets along the spines as well (have tried that), or even rolling/folding the side under the stapler arm.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l7nxy60plyue3ve/hyperborea-calendar-complete-cycle-booklets.zip?dl=0

I have the replication of the creation fairly automated so I should be able to correct any typos and such rather quickly.

[2019-08-16: edited to update links to calendars with a typo fixed]

Last edited by gizmomathboy (8/16/2019 8:59 pm)

What? Me worry?

8/08/2019 4:49 pm  #2

Re: 169 Months of Hyperborea

Damn! I will check this out. A referee needs strict time keeping to maintain the best possible game.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

8/08/2019 7:34 pm  #3

Well...maybe not strict timekeeping but at least easy.

Let me know if there is anything that needs fixing.

What? Me worry?

8/08/2019 11:46 pm  #4

gizmomathboy wrote:

Well...maybe not strict timekeeping but at least easy.

Let me know if there is anything that needs fixing.

As a wise man once said (in all caps): "YOU CAN NOT HAVE A MEANINGFUL CAMPAIGN IF STRICT TIME RECORDS ARE NOT KEPT."

Thanks for the fantastic resource!

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

8/09/2019 5:42 am  #5

Wow! Great work!

8/09/2019 9:28 am  #6

You should have seen the grin on his face when he flopped them on my desk at work!!!

8/09/2019 9:48 am  #7

Nice piece of work, Thanks Gizmo...

Keep it up!

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

8/09/2019 9:58 am  #8

francisca wrote:

You should have seen the grin on his face when he flopped them on my desk at work!!!

You really should have seen my face when I had accidentally deleted everything I had worked on. Thankfully I did have vim sessions open for the programs that do the replication and editing for the daylight/cycle stuff open and could resave them.

So, I only had to create the 13 calendars and 13 covers twice.

I'm glad folks are liking them.

What? Me worry?

8/10/2019 4:54 am  #9

A work of art, love the introduction pictures.

I lost count of the time I have lost good work, I just save multiple copies now and store in memory sticks.

8/16/2019 11:59 am  #10

Crap, I've found a typo in the files. Once I get it sorted out I'll post new links (and edit the old ones).

What? Me worry?

8/16/2019 7:09 pm  #11

Not criticizing at all, but something I would find useful as a referee would be sunrise/sunset times, in lieu of hours of daylight figures.

8/16/2019 8:56 pm  #12

DMPrata wrote:

Not criticizing at all, but something I would find useful as a referee would be sunrise/sunset times, in lieu of hours of daylight figures.

Sure...increase the level of difficulty! :-)

I'll have to look into that, I mean, it's just a little program that is doing the hard work. I was half considering it, but put in the "do later" bin since I'm a lazy bastard.

The simplest way would be to split the day evenly on noon. Then decide how to deal with some of the fractions. The daylight increment is 5 minutes so that will be the rough increment as well.

So a day with 5 hours 25 minutes of daylight (Month IV, Week 1, Cycle 2) would have sunrise 2.5 hours before noon and sunset 2.5 hours after noon. Then to deal with that damn 25 minutes, sunrise comes 15 minutes earlier and sunset set 10 minutes later (from the 2.5 hour split) so:

Sunrise: 9:15am
Sunset: 2:40pm

Would that be a reasonable way to handle it?

I think it would be doable. I can fiddle with it and see.

What? Me worry?

8/16/2019 9:01 pm  #13

Ok, typo fixed.

I'm surprised no one noticed it.

The first day of each month was being changed to match the year of the cycle. I was changing it in the upper right area to track which year in the cycle the calendar was for. My regular expression was sloppy. I've fixed that.

Now...to ponder DMPrata's suggestion...

What? Me worry?

8/17/2019 8:26 am  #14

gizmomathboy wrote:

The simplest way would be to split the day evenly on noon. Then decide how to deal with some of the fractions. The daylight increment is 5 minutes so that will be the rough increment as well.

So a day with 5 hours 25 minutes of daylight (Month IV, Week 1, Cycle 2) would have sunrise 2.5 hours before noon and sunset 2.5 hours after noon. Then to deal with that damn 25 minutes, sunrise comes 15 minutes earlier and sunset set 10 minutes later (from the 2.5 hour split) so:

Sunrise: 9:15am
Sunset: 2:40pm

Would that be a reasonable way to handle it?

I think it would be doable. I can fiddle with it and see.

Seems reasonable to me... Of course I have no idea how hard it might be to execute.

8/17/2019 1:14 pm  #15

I think I've sorted out a way.

This is what we have computers for :-)

What? Me worry?

8/17/2019 7:05 pm  #16

8/18/2019 9:31 am  #17

Beautiful! 

8/18/2019 2:48 pm  #18

\o/

Let me know if you find any errors.

I think I've rooted most of them out, but as you know they are pernicious things.

What? Me worry?

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.