!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/02/2019 1:58 pm  #1

Dying Of Starvation And Thirst

Are there any rules for this? I couldn't find any but then it's a big book.

8/03/2019 8:27 am  #2

Re: Dying Of Starvation And Thirst

What I would suggest in lieu of official rules is have the PCs make a Test of Constitution for each day the PC goes without water after one day of deprivation. Each failure of a Test of Constitution temporarily reduces the PC's constitution by one point. A similar mechanic is in effect for each day the PC goes without food after three days of deprivation. You make TWO tests per day if you're out of both food and water. Constitution returns to its normal level after one day of adequate hydration and nutrition. When Constitution hits zero you're dead.

Last edited by Rhebeqah (3/23/2020 7:18 am)

8/03/2019 8:31 am  #3

I don't think there are, specifically.

You could import the rules from one of the AD&D Survival Guides. I would probably do something like this: Every day without water or week without food requires a CON test to avoid a cumulative -1 to hit, damage, and saving throws (and also morale and loyalty for NPCs). After three days without water, an extraordinary feat of CON must be made every day; if this fails, the character must make a death save or keel over dead. After three weeks without food, an extraordinary feat of CON must be made every week; if this fails, the character must make a death save or keel over dead.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

8/03/2019 1:32 pm  #4

Rhebeqah wrote:

What I would suggest in lieu of official rules is make the PCs make a Test of Constitution for each day the PC goes without water after one day of deprivation. Each failure of a Test of Constitution temporarily reduces the PC's constitution by one point. A similar mechanic is in effect for each day the PC goes without food after three days of deprivation. You make TWO tests per day if you're out of both food and water. Cobstitution returns to its normal level after one day of adequate hydration and nutrition. When Constitution hits zero you're dead.

I like the gist of this idea, but I’d suggest an extraordinary feat of constitution for each day without water (after the first day) or each week without food. The PC is defenceless when CN reaches 2 and dies when CN reaches 0. Lost CN returns at 1 point per day of adequate food and water.

8/05/2019 9:25 am  #5

If one applies the real world rules of 3, then the following cases can be used by the GM..

3 minutes without air=death
3 hours without shelter (exposed to extreme weather)=death
3 days without water=death
3 weeks without food=death

Using those real-world examples, The GM should be able to interpret some negative impacts as a character moves closer to the death option of each condition. 

Example: 3 days without water will kill a human (real world), but before that, there will be notable consequences,
Day one, a little dizziness, some lack of dexterity, disorientation,
Day two, significant dizziness, disorientation, concentration. Stamina, strength and Dexterity issues.
Day three, No concentration (no spell use), Significant; Stamina, Dexterity, strength, intelligence, wisdom across the board.
Day four, Death save days, if passed, then keep layering on the reductions in Int, Str, Wis, Dex, Stam...
Day Five or more, Death Save with lowered stats, and is still passed, again lower all stats and start heading the character to a coma state.

this of course only a suggestion, a GM can make their own rules.

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.