!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/26/2019 8:21 am  #1

Is Hyperborea In The Deep Future And Other Speculations?

I bought AS&SH 2e about a couple of months ago. Adore the setting. It struck me that the Hyperborea might exist in the deep future, the Sun now in its red giant phase, the inner planets (and Jupiter!) gone. It's very Zothique. But is my surmise true? And is Hyperborea in a distant orbit around Saturn? It must be fairly close as the Saturnian moons can be discerned with the naked eye. I would say that Hyperborea completing one orbit about Saturn every 364 days sounds feasible.

Last edited by Rhebeqah (7/26/2019 8:35 am)

7/26/2019 8:48 pm  #2

Re: Is Hyperborea In The Deep Future And Other Speculations?

Welcome to the forum!
I believe what you suggest is implied in the setting. I don't know whether Jeff will confirm that or not.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

7/27/2019 9:10 am  #3

Welcome aboard, Rhebeqah!

Fun thoughts!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

7/28/2019 7:11 pm  #4

I think of Hyperboerea as more of a place beyond time. Where the Ancient and the far Future have a place where they may chance upon each other. For example, in a module I'm working on has a couple sections that definitely have an Expedition to the Barrier Peaks feel to it. Right along the Norse Fjords that the Characters start their expeditions from...

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

7/29/2019 3:42 pm  #5

It is implied, but it can be whatever you want it to be. BlackKnight's suggestion is excellent, too. I tend to sometimes run into an issue with my players (home group) and con players in which they run into something technological or "modern" and they immediately assume that the item or feature is completely foreign to their knowledge. Why? Because playing D&D for most of your life can train your mind into thinking that your character's knowledge is limited to a quasi-medieval range. Not necessarily true! I actually touch on this for a sidebar in my forthcoming adventure, The Sea-Wolf's Daughter. It's not impossible for a learned / scholarly / sagely character to have picked up some piece of information in their studies that allows them to have some knowledge of something weirdly technological or scientific. It's really up to the referee. This also plays into a conversation I had on the phone last week with BlackAdder23 (I was preaching to the choir) on why we don't have tests and feats of intelligence and wisdom. If, say, a druid in the party has acquired a radium pistol and wants to know if his character knows anything about it, I think it is up to the referee to look at the character's class, background, secondary skills, and intelligence. After considering these factors, come up with a reasonable chance-in-six to determine whether anything about this thing is known. It could be as simple as determining that yes, it is indeed a weapon. But take everything I just said with a grain of salt. You are the master of your own game!

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

7/29/2019 4:51 pm  #6

Personally, I don't think anyone who came from a culture with crossbows would have much trouble figuring out any kind of firearm. That's how I would rule anyway.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

7/29/2019 5:23 pm  #7

Blackadder23 wrote:

Personally, I don't think anyone who came from a culture with crossbows would have much trouble figuring out any kind of firearm. That's how I would rule anyway.

Same here. Between that and rumors/stories of such that inevitably float around every tavern, I'm generally good on basic pistols and rifles. I don't want to spend a ton of precious game time having players roleplay discovering how what looks like a metal-barreled crossbow or metal handled blow-gun works. Maybe if we're literally talking cave men, but not professional adventurers and treasure hunters.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

7/30/2019 8:23 am  #8

Chainsaw wrote:

Blackadder23 wrote:

Same here. Between that and rumors/stories of such that inevitably float around every tavern, I'm generally good on basic pistols and rifles. I don't want to spend a ton of precious game time having players roleplay discovering how what looks like a metal-barreled crossbow or metal handled blow-gun works. Maybe if we're literally talking cave men, but not professional adventurers and treasure hunters.

Though I did enjoy seeing the characters figure out and being shot by a zirconium suit.....

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

7/30/2019 11:01 am  #9

Chainsaw wrote:

Blackadder23 wrote:

OK, maybe not my best example, because yes, the darn thing has a trigger and a barrel. LOL.

As an example from last week's game, the party were in a library and saw some weird star charts describing the Helios system. One chart indicated that Hyperborea is in fact a moon of Saturn. Another chart had a different orbital suggestion. Player wanted to know if his character knew anything about any of this stuff. I don't want a "test of intelligence" for this sort of thing. Your cataphract may have a greater intelligence score than the druid, who has spent his life studying the skies, but that doesn't mean he should have a better chance to know something about the charts. I prefer to consider the character and the circumstances and then determine a reasonable chance-in-six. That's what I was trying to say, gents!

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

7/31/2019 4:31 pm  #10

Ghul wrote:

OK, maybe not my best example, because yes, the darn thing has a trigger and a barrel. LOL.

As an example from last week's game, the party were in a library and saw some weird star charts describing the Helios system. One chart indicated that Hyperborea is in fact a moon of Saturn. Another chart had a different orbital suggestion. Player wanted to know if his character knew anything about any of this stuff. I don't want a "test of intelligence" for this sort of thing. Your cataphract may have a greater intelligence score than the druid, who has spent his life studying the skies, but that doesn't mean he should have a better chance to know something about the charts. I prefer to consider the character and the circumstances and then determine a reasonable chance-in-six. That's what I was trying to say, gents!

This is precisely how I run the Non-Standard Task System: Referee's mind + Player's description + circumstances = some chance. 

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

8/01/2019 8:36 pm  #11

I'm totally in favor of the simplified non-combat resolution systems, especially in just using common sense.  It's amazing to me how so-called "modern" games slow things down with a raft full of skill checks and die rolls for things that could be easily role-played or handwaved with common sense.  Adventures in Middle Earth for 5e is especially bad in this regard.  Amazing how many mechanics they burden that game with to convey what they deem the proper Tolkien feel.  I far prefer the flexibility of AS&SH wherein we can all easily establish the flavor for our own games and just create simple rulings.

As far as my campaign, as I think I noted here before, I just dropped Hyperborea into the north pole region of my existing campaign world of Krysonia.  By sheer coincidence ( dare I say shared genius?) I already had two moons in my campaign world so it made sense on that level.  But rather than the Saturn connection, I always conceived of it as alternate/parallel to our world so I never clearly established what the other planets are.  But I had already incorporated lots of Lovecraftian and S&S elements into my D&D games so when I learned about AS&SH, it was a no brainer to adapt and bolt onto my existing campaign.  Thus far it has been fantastic. 

As for timing, I portray Hyperborea as having been created by a rip in the space/time continuum so that it's possible to find technologies from a multitude of real earth historical eras.  In the later versions of Kyrsonia's chronology we have gunpowder weapons, cribbing from Warhammer, but they are dangerous and unpredictable and mostly used by dwarves, gnomes, and derro.

"Could you fancy me as a pirate bold?  Or a longship Viking warrior with the old gods on his side?  Well, I'm an inshore man and I'm nobody's hero.  But I'll make you tight for a windy night and a dark ride."--Jethro Tull

8/02/2019 8:28 am  #12

OK, it's now official head canon that Hyperborea lies in the deep future. I do still wonder what happened to Jupiter (and Io, Europa and Callisto).

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.