!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/28/2019 12:56 pm  #1

Status of the Hyperborean Race?

We just gained our first Hyperborean PC, and I was wondering how the race fits in with the rest of the population. In Khromarium and elsewhere. I’d always assume the Hyperboreans hold themselves up in their old properties and away from the lower races of man, but there’s no indication of this in the game. Or any mention of locations. It does mention though that they populate Khromarium. Do they have their own secluded areas in the city? I just personally have trouble envisioning them even to this day willingly mingling and doing business with the races of humans that now form the majority of the continent. How do you view this in your campaigns?

6/28/2019 2:14 pm  #2

Re: Status of the Hyperborean Race?

I would compare them to refugee Romanovs, or members of some other aristocracy that no longer exists. They are still arrogant and have elevated ideas about themselves, but they're not very numerous and nobody else cares. I see them pretty much forced to deal with other races of men, and not very happy about it (much like those same Romanovs and other so-called "royals" when forced to deal with peons, peasants, and assorted hoi polloi such as ourselves).

There may also be some pure enclaves of Hyperboreans hidden in (for example) the Spiral Mountains, but I doubt those are very numerous. It could make for an interesting adventure - perhaps such an enclave has gotten their hands on an ancient magical or technological weapon and is planning to turn it on Khromarium ("If we can't have it, no one can!").

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

6/28/2019 3:23 pm  #3

Yeah, there's a hyperborean in one of my games. Plays it like he's better than everyone which fits the race.

What? Me worry?

6/28/2019 8:29 pm  #4

Blackadder23 wrote:

I would compare them to refugee Romanovs, or members of some other aristocracy that no longer exists. They are still arrogant and have elevated ideas about themselves, but they're not very numerous and nobody else cares. I see them pretty much forced to deal with other races of men, and not very happy about it (much like those same Romanovs and other so-called "royals" when forced to deal with peons, peasants, and assorted hoi polloi such as ourselves).

There may also be some pure enclaves of Hyperboreans hidden in (for example) the Spiral Mountains, but I doubt those are very numerous. It could make for an interesting adventure - perhaps such an enclave has gotten their hands on an ancient magical or technological weapon and is planning to turn it on Khromarium ("If we can't have it, no one can!").

This is where I fall on the question.  Though many of my Hyperboreans also dwell in secret vaults under the old city section of Khromarium. They strive and plot for the ultimate return of their great race to rulership over Hyperborea.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

6/29/2019 5:33 am  #5

In my Blackmarsh and surrounding regions, there is about a total of 1,000 Hyperboreans and an active enclave in the Blackmarsh Castle of which about 800+ are of that total number above (and a few outposts surrounding this area), they still presume to own the land in some self-assured high and mighty perspective of life, but are out-numbered by the sub-humans which they are forced to interact with each day. But still they are given some consideration for what they were and what they are (even if it is somewhat diminished from their greater glory), but not as much as they would want or expect.

6/29/2019 4:59 pm  #6

Blackadder23 wrote:

Dang BA, you are spot on as far as I am concerned. I cast the Hyperboreans much the same in my own campaign, with Melnibonean eccentricity and arrogance, I imagine Hyperboreans who adventure are comparatively rare; when possible, they prefer to adventure in coteries with members of the same House along with an entourage of slaves and servants. It's hard for me to imagine many of them wanting to adventure with "subhumans" as an equal and not a leader so the ones that do are often forced to by circumstances.

I also took the idea of hidden Hyperborean enclaves and ran with it. I dropped B4 The Lost City in the Diamond Desert as the lost city of Xuthas populated with a long lost race of subterranean Hypeboreans and their mutant slaves replacing Cynidiceans and goblinoids. 

Last edited by Brock Savage (6/29/2019 5:00 pm)

6/29/2019 7:26 pm  #7

In my game, the Hyperboreans are on the move - getting out there and trying to get their populace up; it's the Atlanteans that are damn near gone...

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.