!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/17/2019 8:31 pm  #1

Fighting in Winter Gear

Hey folks! I'm looking for suggestions on handling combat while wearing heavy winter gear.

In a nutshell I'm developing an adventure for a convention that takes place in the Gall Hills during the year of the Bear. In other words it's going to be quite cold and the PCs will be travelling via dogsled and encountering things looking to kill them.

Now having worn modern arctic weather gear I know from experience it gets bulky and slows down movement. I imagine the old school solution of layered furs isn't going to be much better. The rules state that encumbered PCs lose -1 to their AC while heavily encumbered lose -2 to their AC. If they wear their armor under the furs I will say that they are heavily encumbered.

So here are my questions:
Would you also add a negative to their attack rolls or is the AC loss sufficient penalty?  I'm thinking the AC penalty is enough though I'm stillthinking about how to handle bows.

Would you give penalties spell casters given their hands are in mittens and they are essentially wearing hide/fur armor? I am leaning towards the spell failure chart and am looking for a sanity check on that idea.

And finally, how would you handle the concept of their cold weather gear getting damaged in combat? After all, a sword is going to shred a fur parka.

Thanks!

6/17/2019 11:12 pm  #2

Re: Fighting in Winter Gear

tomas wrote:

Hey folks! I'm looking for suggestions on handling combat while wearing heavy winter gear.

In a nutshell I'm developing an adventure for a convention that takes place in the Gall Hills during the year of the Bear. In other words it's going to be quite cold and the PCs will be travelling via dogsled and encountering things looking to kill them.

Now having worn modern arctic weather gear I know from experience it gets bulky and slows down movement. I imagine the old school solution of layered furs isn't going to be much better. The rules state that encumbered PCs lose -1 to their AC while heavily encumbered lose -2 to their AC. If they wear their armor under the furs I will say that they are heavily encumbered.

Would you also add a negative to their attack rolls or is the AC loss sufficient penalty?  I'm thinking the AC penalty is enough though I'm stillthinking about how to handle bows.

Would you give penalties spell casters given their hands are in mittens and they are essentially wearing hide/fur armor? I am leaning towards the spell failure chart and am looking for a sanity check on that idea.

And finally, how would you handle the concept of their cold weather gear getting damaged in combat? After all, a sword is going to shred a fur parka.

Thanks!

My guys spent Nightfall huddled in the hides of winter wolves around a fire they kept alight at all costs. Combat was non existent. One of them ended up finding a Ring of Warmth but even that couldn't keep him alive long...
Cold is death in Hyperborea. The spare times they actually fought I gave them half-movement & half-attacks encumbered or not. I say add negative to hits and the ac penalty. I think the mittens could be pulled off easily but spell check for mental alertness is in order for sure.

6/18/2019 8:54 am  #3

I'd remove any Dex related AC, but not anything else for AC. Adding padding should not reduce armor, it should reduce movement...

Definitely, a -1 to hit, and -1 or -2 to Dex bonus to AC.

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

6/18/2019 11:59 am  #4

tomas wrote:

Thanks!

Another way would be to assess a hit point penalty. The cold would wear down even the greatest of heroes after a while with helpless npc's dying.  This could be 1d6 per hour with appropriate winter gear providing 2DR against cold adding a fire+1 DR.  Eventually lack of shelter would kill.

Just a thought.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

6/18/2019 7:33 pm  #5

I think the encumbrance penalties would suffice. The referee also might consider layered furs the equivalent of padded armour and impose a 1-in-6 chance of spell failure for sorcerers not permitted light armour.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.