!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/04/2019 5:18 am  #1

Binding wounds

The game seems to imply in the section on actions in combat that an ally can bind wounds if he has bandages but I cannot seem to find a rule for how this works anywhere, not even in the section on death and dying. 

How does this work and can it stabilize a dying character?

6/04/2019 7:43 am  #2

Re: Binding wounds

I think the Death and Dying section on page 261 is rather clear.

If you have bandages you bind their wounds.

You seem to be overthinking the rules a lot.

At a gaming convention recently another player made a great statement.

"You don't ask if you can do something. You tell the DM what you are doing and they decide if you can do it."

The rules in almost all old school systems are mostly guidelines. They don't or won't specify every possible action or have some dice roll mechanic to determine the outcome.

In this case, the rule is "if you are at -4 HP you need to be stabilized or continue losing 1 HP/round". You don't need to have a further paragraph stating all of the ways it can be done and something like a 1:6 chance if you aren't a class or character either healing background or some other nonsense.

DEATH and DYING:
 ...At a total of from −4 to −9 hp, he is in critical condition
and suffers convulsions and/or blood loss at a rate of 1
hp per round, unless properly stabilized by an ally (e.g.,
binding wounds, resuscitation, sorcerous healing)...

What? Me worry?

6/04/2019 11:55 am  #3

I think it would be helpful, old school or not, to explain what is meant by this in either flavor text or mechanics.  Does binding wounds heal someone a little that has received HPs worth of damage but is still up and fighting? Or is it meant to stabilize someone that is down and in negative HPs and unconscious.  I do not feel it is necessarily against the old school mentality to at least have a base level of clarity on things of this nature.

I am pretty old school myself, btw, being 45 years old and having started with D&D in around 1982 or so.

I do believe I missed that phrase though about binding wounds on pg 261.

Last edited by Spellbinder (6/04/2019 12:02 pm)

6/04/2019 1:18 pm  #4

Bandaging is meant only as the stabilization of a person's wounds once they are at less than zero hit points. If you take damage that reduces you to exactly zero, you are stable but unconscious. If you take damage and it brings you to -1 or more, you are not stable and start bleeding out -1 hit point each round. "Stabilization" stops the bleed, and depending on how the GM wants it, either stabilizes them where they are (at a minus HP level, but no longer bleeding) or puts them at zero HP (stable).

Personally, I have the latter in my games, if you're at -8 HP and get bandaged, you go back to zero and stop bleeding out. I think of the negative numbers as a countdown clock till death, not as a real number, thus you could be at the last round before dying, and get bandaged, you go back to Stable (Zero HP).

Last edited by BlackKnight (6/04/2019 1:22 pm)

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

6/04/2019 2:11 pm  #5

If you want binding wounds to restore some amount of damage for people who are still up and fighting, I think that's perfectly defensible and you should do so. I would suggest something minor like 1d2 hit points (or even just 1 point), and only once per time the PC is wounded.

Within the context of RAW, binding wounds is only relevant to someone who is down and bleeding to death.

Last edited by Blackadder23 (6/04/2019 2:16 pm)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

6/04/2019 4:20 pm  #6

Thank you all! You are all awesome!

6/04/2019 4:45 pm  #7

The Shaman class has the Medicine Man ability and can heal 1d4 HP once per day per ally. If you did include a "bandaging wounds" type of rule it should be less effective so as not to eclipse this IMO.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

6/05/2019 6:53 am  #8

Blackadder23 wrote:

If you want binding wounds to restore some amount of damage for people who are still up and fighting, I think that's perfectly defensible and you should do so. I would suggest something minor like 1d2 hit points (or even just 1 point), and only once per time the PC is wounded.

Within the context of RAW, binding wounds is only relevant to someone who is down and bleeding to death.

I agree, Healing in my campaigns is kept to a minimum usually, so binding a wound received during combat just completed would give 1d2 HP returns, and you could only bandage a character that One; received at least 1 wound, Two; Could only bandage a number of wounds received. Ex, Fighter received only one wound the previous combat, he could be bandaged for 1d2 HP once, If a fighter received 3 wounds, he could be bandaged 3 times (one for/on each wound) for a total of 3d2...

I don't think it would be game breaking, and would definitely help in the lower levels, where healing is even more hard to come by and characters are the most vulnerable.

You could as a GM also throw in some money spending on behalf of the players by offering "Normal" bandages that only give 1 HP, then "Advanced" bandages that do the 1d2, and offer that "Healing Classes" can get the benefit to give Max, eg, 2 HP per bandage automatically with Advanced Bandages.

But always, Rules in the Books are just some guidelines, A GM's game is his own...

Last edited by BlackKnight (6/05/2019 6:59 am)

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage
Older than Dirt, Crusty, and set in my ways. Been playing TTRPGs for over 45 years...

6/08/2019 3:02 pm  #9

mabon5127 wrote:

The Shaman class has the Medicine Man ability and can heal 1d4 HP once per day per ally.

Whooaah, looks like we've mised some important words, our shaman will be happy. Correction: everyone will be happy.

[url=https://hyperborea.boardhost.com/profile.php?id=271 wrote:

BlackKnight[/url]] If you take damage and it brings you to -1 or more, you are not stable and start bleeding out -1 hit point each round.

Actually it says: "If reduced to a range of from -1 to -3 hp, the character is seriously injured, though relatively stable. At a total of from -4 to -9 hp, he is in critical condition and suffers convulsions and/or blood loss at a rate of 1 hp per round" so I understand that at -1 tp -3 hp you don't suffer the -1 hp/round?

Non-native English speaker - I apologize for any unclear phrasing
hyperborea.video.blog

6/08/2019 3:36 pm  #10

"I understand that at -1 tp -3 hp you don't suffer the -1 hp/round?"

Yes, that's correct. I think this was supposed to be the case in 1e as well, but the phasing in the original DMG was somewhat confusing.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

6/09/2019 8:09 am  #11

Blackadder23 wrote:

"I understand that at -1 tp -3 hp you don't suffer the -1 hp/round?"

Yes, that's correct. I think this was supposed to be the case in 1e as well, but the phasing in the original DMG was somewhat confusing.

Being old as dirt, my brain is still tied into original DMG rules unless I smack myself upside my head every once in a while.

Last edited by BlackKnight (6/09/2019 10:39 am)

-- 
BlackKnight, AKA Sausage

6/09/2019 9:58 am  #12

Blackadder23 wrote:

kane wrote:

I understand that at -1 tp -3 hp you don't suffer the -1 hp/round?

Oops! I have been running this incorrectly. Pays to read the forums. 

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.