!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/27/2019 10:20 am  #1

Recommended order of adventures?

Do you guys have a recommended order of adventures?

We just kicked off our campaign last night with the intro adventure in the core rulebook, The Black Moss-Hag of Lug, and I am wondering what I will run next for them.

5/27/2019 12:27 pm  #2

Re: Recommended order of adventures?

Rats in the Wall is a good follow-up to Black Moss Hag and gets the party to the big city. 

5/27/2019 3:49 pm  #3

Spellbinder wrote:

We just kicked off our campaign last night with the intro adventure in the core rulebook, The Black Moss-Hag of Lug, and I am wondering what I will run next for them.

For anyone starting a new campaign and with players happy to roll through the published low- and mid-level modules, there are a ton of options and ways to link them together.

The Black-Moss Hag of Lug (level 1)
Rats in the Walls and Other Perils (levels 1-2)
The Anthropophagi of Xambaala (levels 1-3)
Ghost Ship of the Desert Dunes (level 2-4)
Mystery at Port Greely (level 4-6)
Beasts of Kraggoth Manor (level 4-6)
Taken from Dunwich (level 4-6)
Charnel Crypt of the Sightless Serpent (level 4-7)

**** SPOILER ALERT ****

One. As for how to string them all together, you've already started in Swampgate, which is great. Assuming the PCs survive, a natural next move is to the big city of Khromarium to find trainers, better equipment and new adventures. On arrival, Rats in the Walls and Other Perils makes perfect sense - it's a collection of three shorter city-based adventures (a demon rat plagues a local innkeeper and his family; a merchant hires the PCs to steal a gem; a murderous cult has been kidnapping people). Rumors of any or all of these three situations could be uncovered in the tavern at Swampgate or in Khromarium. Plus, the module includes info on a nice ship that could help the the PCs travel elsewhere.

Two. You could then do either The Anthropophagi of Xambaala (cannibals, snake-men and more on the outskirts of a ruined desert port town) or Ghost Ship of the Desert Dunes (teaming with a wizard in search of green diamonds that turn out to be radioactive and guarded by a giant winged ape), depending on interest. It would be easy to link to either from Khromarium. I'm running Xambaala now and it's provided many hours of good gaming. I played Ghost Ship a few years ago and love it, great mood and tone.

Three In either Xambaala or Calencia, they could hear rumor that people from Khromarium’s Fishmonger’s Guild went missing in Port Greely, where the local lobstermen have come to worship an evil god (inspired by The Shadow over Innsmouth). After that, maybe a hook to Taken from Dunwich, in which the Elder Race have established a cliff-side stronghold and use mind-controlled beast-men to raid the nearby countryside in search of precious metals. Beasts of Kraggoth Manor for level 4-6 would fit in perfectly on the way to or from Dunwich. Upon their return from Dunwich, they could do Charnel Crypt of the Sightless Serpent as it’s located in the swamp near Khromarium. The charnel crypt contains the remains of a wealthy Hyperborean family and supposedly a lizard that cries gems lives inside. If you have a tough group, they might be able to do Charnel Crypt before heading up to Dunwich.

Again, you can mix-and-match the modules pretty easily depending on your level needs and the PCs' interest. I'm just offering some suggestions, not an official order (none exists). Honestly, this list could easily keep most groups occupied for a couple of years before even getting to the higher-level stuff:

Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess (level 5-7)
Beneath the Comet (level 6-9)

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

5/28/2019 2:43 pm  #4

And after Beneath the Comet, you won't need to worry about further adventures.
(Just kidding - Jeff actually told me that one or two playtests didn't end with a TPK.)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

6/01/2019 9:34 am  #5

Are these official modules possible to incorporate neatly into hexcrawl or are they more of a closed stories?

Non-native English speaker - I apologize for any unclear phrasing
hyperborea.video.blog

6/01/2019 11:30 am  #6

kane wrote:

Are these official modules possible to incorporate neatly into hexcrawl or are they more of a closed stories?

Most of them can be relocated with minimal difficulty.

If you're doing a hex crawl, may I recommend the Hyperborean Encounter Tables that some generous (and probably quite handsome) soul put together?

http://www.mediafire.com/file/upzcor7vty783p6/Hyperborean_Encounter_Tables_II_Bookmarked.pdf

Last edited by Blackadder23 (6/01/2019 11:32 am)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

6/01/2019 1:12 pm  #7

Blackadder23 wrote:

If you're doing a hex crawl, may I recommend the Hyperborean Encounter Tables that some generous (and probably quite handsome) soul put together?

http://www.mediafire.com/file/upzcor7vty783p6/Hyperborean_Encounter_Tables_II_Bookmarked.pdf

These are awesome, why aren't they put on the main site in "resources"? I was doing my own, it's gonna save me lots of time. Thanks!

hyperborea.video.blog

6/02/2019 12:03 am  #8

kane wrote:

Blackadder23 wrote:

These are awesome, why aren't they put on the main site in "resources"? I was doing my own, it's gonna save me lots of time. Thanks!

Well... honestly it's because I don't like to distract Jeff from the process of making great adventures by sending him huge documents full of my nonsense to edit and make "official".
Speaking of huge documents full of my nonsense, you also might like this one that allows you to quickly make starting PCs and low level NPCs:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/9k7jidxz70f7oz3/Waifs_of_the_Boreas_2_Bookmarked.pdf/file

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

6/02/2019 1:56 am  #9

Blackadder23 wrote:

kane wrote:

Blackadder23 wrote:

Well... honestly it's because I don't like to distract Jeff from the process of making great adventures by sending him huge documents full of my nonsense to edit and make "official".

He should do these tables official. Or at least put them on site as 3rd party content. For me as a DM such stuff as huge tables has impact on whether I buy product or not. It's great added value.

Blackadder23 wrote:

Speaking of huge documents full of my nonsense, you also might like this one that allows you to quickly make starting PCs and low level NPCs:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/9k7jidxz70f7oz3/Waifs_of_the_Boreas_2_Bookmarked.pdf/file

Wow you like to decicate you time to the hobby... Thanks!

hyperborea.video.blog

6/02/2019 8:03 am  #10

And when you are too lazy to do all of that rolling...

http://gizmomathboy.com/he_app

It still has some weirdness in some edges...but it gets you most of the way there for most every encounter...

BA really did make some great stuff

What? Me worry?

6/03/2019 2:13 pm  #11

Chainsaw wrote:

Spellbinder wrote:

For anyone starting a new campaign and with players happy to roll through the published low- and mid-level modules, there are a ton of options and ways to link them together.

The Black-Moss Hag of Lug (level 1)
Rats in the Walls and Other Perils (levels 1-2)
The Anthropophagi of Xambaala (levels 1-3)
Ghost Ship of the Desert Dunes (level 2-4)
Mystery at Port Greely (level 4-6)
Beasts of Kraggoth Manor (level 4-6)
Taken from Dunwich (level 4-6)
Charnel Crypt of the Sightless Serpent (level 4-7)

**** SPOILER ALERT ****

One. As for how to string them all together, you've already started in Swampgate, which is great. Assuming the PCs survive, a natural next move is to the big city of Khromarium to find trainers, better equipment and new adventures. On arrival, Rats in the Walls and Other Perils makes perfect sense - it's a collection of three shorter city-based adventures (a demon rat plagues a local innkeeper and his family; a merchant hires the PCs to steal a gem; a murderous cult has been kidnapping people). Rumors of any or all of these three situations could be uncovered in the tavern at Swampgate or in Khromarium. Plus, the module includes info on a nice ship that could help the the PCs travel elsewhere.

Two. You could then do either The Anthropophagi of Xambaala (cannibals, snake-men and more on the outskirts of a ruined desert port town) or Ghost Ship of the Desert Dunes (teaming with a wizard in search of green diamonds that turn out to be radioactive and guarded by a giant winged ape), depending on interest. It would be easy to link to either from Khromarium. I'm running Xambaala now and it's provided many hours of good gaming. I played Ghost Ship a few years ago and love it, great mood and tone.

Three In either Xambaala or Calencia, they could hear rumor that people from Khromarium’s Fishmonger’s Guild went missing in Port Greely, where the local lobstermen have come to worship an evil god (inspired by The Shadow over Innsmouth). After that, maybe a hook to Taken from Dunwich, in which the Elder Race have established a cliff-side stronghold and use mind-controlled beast-men to raid the nearby countryside in search of precious metals. Beasts of Kraggoth Manor for level 4-6 would fit in perfectly on the way to or from Dunwich. Upon their return from Dunwich, they could do Charnel Crypt of the Sightless Serpent as it’s located in the swamp near Khromarium. The charnel crypt contains the remains of a wealthy Hyperborean family and supposedly a lizard that cries gems lives inside. If you have a tough group, they might be able to do Charnel Crypt before heading up to Dunwich.

Again, you can mix-and-match the modules pretty easily depending on your level needs and the PCs' interest. I'm just offering some suggestions, not an official order (none exists). Honestly, this list could easily keep most groups occupied for a couple of years before even getting to the higher-level stuff:

Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess (level 5-7)
Beneath the Comet (level 6-9)

This is good.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.