!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/13/2018 10:26 pm  #1

Krysonia Campaign

Having wrapped up our roughly two year C&C campaign due to players being burned out on the system, we are turning to what I think will be an interesting cross-over game/campaign.  When I got AS&SH back in the spring, I just decided to drop Hyperborea in as the North Pole of my home campaign world of Krysonia, which I've been using since the early 1990s.  I already had lots of Lovecraftian elements in the game already and we've mostly played 1st edition AD&D (until the C&C experiment) so rules-wise, it's been pretty seamless.  I set it up so that groups can sail north to Hyperborea, travel through the Underdark (using Matt Finch's great Cyclopean Deeps books) or travel there through certain gates in places like the ruined city of Sarkomand, which lies in the Mysterious Celestial Kingdom of Leng, an amalgamation of Chinese and Tibetan cultures.  So the original campaign world remains a more standard fantasy world with demi-humans, the full range of D&D monsters, Asian-themed places and the like.

We created a party of 6 Hyperborean PCs back in the summer and ran them through "Black Moss Hag of Lug."  All are still 1st level.  So I ordered the full set of AS&SH 2nd edition modules and we're going to tackle them in level order with some homegrown mini adventures and links sprinkled in.

Meanwhile I backed the new combined Advanced Labyrinth Lord book on kickstarter.  So once that comes out in a couple months (hopefully), we're going to create another party and run them through some classic low level D&D modules in preparation for one of the mega-dungeons, probably Barrowmaze using Labyrinth Lord rules

Once both groups get to fairly high level, say 8th or so, I'll start using more of my own stuff, linking it to my Dark Treasury campaign arc I talked about in the forums here, where a set of 13 sinister books can be used to bring about the destruction of the world.  This will be the impetus to bring the two groups together.  Ideally they'll link up in the Cyclopean Deeps and have to travel to reach others' homelands to help foil the evil plans of whatever groups are seeking the aforementioned Dark Treasury.  Not sure how long this will take or if we'll ever get to everything given that we don't play that often (and players usually have to run multiple PCs due to scheduling conflicts), but I love creating long story arcs filled with side quests and loosely connecting overarching themes and villains.  I've got a whole laundry list of villains already cooked up for this. 

And I'm even thinking of connecting all this to an old mega-campaign I wrote over the course of about 15 years that involved an apocalyptic demonic invasion of Krysonia and a quest through the Infernus to close the gate. In that I link the Hells, Abyss, Hades, etc., into one big bad underworld and make use of Mayfair Games' awesome Demons supplements.  (Always thought the Blood War thing was stupid).  This whole campaign would be a prelude to that, which is the Time of Dark Heaven.  No group has ever finished that campaign, though a group back in college got about a third of the way through (when it was shorter).  

But we'll start all this craziness in Xambaala!

"Could you fancy me as a pirate bold?  Or a longship Viking warrior with the old gods on his side?  Well, I'm an inshore man and I'm nobody's hero.  But I'll make you tight for a windy night and a dark ride."--Jethro Tull

12/08/2018 4:09 pm  #2

Re: Krysonia Campaign

Missed this!

Spider of Leng wrote:

We created a party of 6 Hyperborean PCs back in the summer and ran them through "Black Moss Hag of Lug."  All are still 1st level.

Nice. How did it go? What happened?

Spider of Leng wrote:

So I ordered the full set of AS&SH 2nd edition modules and we're going to tackle them in level order with some homegrown mini adventures and links sprinkled in.

Fun!

Spider of Leng wrote:

Meanwhile I backed the new combined Advanced Labyrinth Lord book on kickstarter.  So once that comes out in a couple months (hopefully), we're going to create another party and run them through some classic low level D&D modules in preparation for one of the mega-dungeons, probably Barrowmaze using Labyrinth Lord rules

Once both groups get to fairly high level, say 8th or so, I'll start using more of my own stuff, linking it to my Dark Treasury campaign arc I talked about in the forums here, where a set of 13 sinister books can be used to bring about the destruction of the world.  This will be the impetus to bring the two groups together.  Ideally they'll link up in the Cyclopean Deeps and have to travel to reach others' homelands to help foil the evil plans of whatever groups are seeking the aforementioned Dark Treasury.  Not sure how long this will take or if we'll ever get to everything given that we don't play that often (and players usually have to run multiple PCs due to scheduling conflicts), but I love creating long story arcs filled with side quests and loosely connecting overarching themes and villains.  I've got a whole laundry list of villains already cooked up for this. 

And I'm even thinking of connecting all this to an old mega-campaign I wrote over the course of about 15 years that involved an apocalyptic demonic invasion of Krysonia and a quest through the Infernus to close the gate. In that I link the Hells, Abyss, Hades, etc., into one big bad underworld and make use of Mayfair Games' awesome Demons supplements.  (Always thought the Blood War thing was stupid).  This whole campaign would be a prelude to that, which is the Time of Dark Heaven.  No group has ever finished that campaign, though a group back in college got about a third of the way through (when it was shorter).

Sounds like you have some good material and good ideas for a lot of dice rolling. 

Spider of Leng wrote:

But we'll start all this craziness in Xambaala!

I know you ended up using a different starting point - any plans to return to Xambaala?

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

12/08/2018 7:32 pm  #3

Actually we started Xambaala last night and will be going back tonight.  We played the old C3--Lost Island of Castanamir to advance a bit before tackling Xambaala.  So last night the party got to the city, nosed around and ensconced themselves in the Caravanserai (on purpose).  They're investigating the Outer City and ruins tonight, but have already bought camels & provisions to head out in the desert, having picked up clues on the camp and the Theosophist in town.

As for the Labyrinth Lord group, I've put together a great, diverse character party and I will run them through B7-Rahasia first, then probably into the Barrowmaze, though we might have another intervening adventure.  I can't see starting Barrowmaze under 3rd level.  We will probably alternate parties and game systems going forward, but we don't get to play much so it will be a long haul.  But I'm excited about both parties and the possibility of them linking up down the road, depending upon who survives.

"Could you fancy me as a pirate bold?  Or a longship Viking warrior with the old gods on his side?  Well, I'm an inshore man and I'm nobody's hero.  But I'll make you tight for a windy night and a dark ride."--Jethro Tull

12/09/2018 7:19 am  #4

Spider of Leng wrote:

Actually we started Xambaala last night and will be going back tonight.  We played the old C3--Lost Island of Castanamir to advance a bit before tackling Xambaala.  So last night the party got to the city, nosed around and ensconced themselves in the Caravanserai (on purpose).  They're investigating the Outer City and ruins tonight, but have already bought camels & provisions to head out in the desert, having picked up clues on the camp and the Theosophist in town.

Cool, man. Lot of options for the players. If you create any new locations or NPCs, please feel free to drop them here.

Spider of Leng wrote:

As for the Labyrinth Lord group, I've put together a great, diverse character party and I will run them through B7-Rahasia first, then probably into the Barrowmaze, though we might have another intervening adventure.  I can't see starting Barrowmaze under 3rd level.  We will probably alternate parties and game systems going forward, but we don't get to play much so it will be a long haul.  But I'm excited about both parties and the possibility of them linking up down the road, depending upon who survives.

Sounds great. I have Barrowmaze too, really want to run it. Trying to figure out how and where to incorporate it. I could find a convenient boggy area, like maybe outside of Swampgate in the Lug Wasteland. I've also considered customizing into Xambaala, placing the barrows in either Xambaala's Old City ruins or, more likely, father out in the desert, perhaps as a the last remains of a long forgotten civilization.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

5/24/2019 6:10 pm  #5

Well our Labyrinth Lord party party was finally bested by the Barrowmaze.  They managed to complete some of the quests and kill a couple of the big bads, but after 9 sessions and after losing 3 of the 8 party members,they decided to move onto something else.  This is the other half of the cross-over campaign we have going with AS&SH. The hope is that the two parties will unite down the road for my Dark Treasury campaign arc, but they need to survive for that to happen.  The others are on tap for Kraggoth Manor.

As far as mega-dungeons are concerned,as much as  I love to read them, they are kind of a slog to run, especially when you don't play that often.  Now I'm leaning towards  shorter adventures with more variety,even if they're linked scenarios.  We might do the Desert of Desolation series next, or possibly the Slave Lords. I also have a Hackmaster module, Slaughterhouse Indigo, that I've always wanted to run.

5/25/2019 7:31 pm  #6

Spider of Leng wrote:

As far as mega-dungeons are concerned,as much as  I love to read them, they are kind of a slog to run, especially when you don't play that often.

I've noticed this too, and am running Barrowmaze Complete in between other Hyberborea adventures (Rats in the Walls is in media res). Time-consuming to reset back to all that transpired in BC. My solution is to rest them back in Swampgate after every long hiatus, regardless of where we left off.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

10/07/2019 12:34 pm  #7

Trying to plan the next move for the Labyrinth Lord group of PCs.  They might do a couple forays into HighFell, which is Greg Gillespie's newest megadungeon.  I also just got the revamped version of Tegel Manor from Frog God, so that's in play. 

Meanwhile, the AS&SH band will do Forgotten Fane next.  But not likely much will happen until Christmas break since I'm guest teaching at another university right now.  So it's mostly working on my Dark Treasury campaign arc these days.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.