!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/25/2019 9:01 pm  #1

pc or pregen generator

I'm slowly working my way creating an app to create a pc or pregen and fill out a pdf.

Given a text file that looks like this:

ST: 12
DX: 14
CN: 17
IN: 10
WS: 17
CH: 12
class: cleric
level: 5

I can create this pdf:
I'm slowly working my way creating an app to create a pc or pregen and fill out a pdf.

Given a text file that looks like this:

ST: 12
DX: 14
CN: 17
IN: 10
WS: 17
CH: 12
class: cleric
level: 5

I can create this pdf (updated pdf since I added the turning info):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/89j7yry2i0vhvz0/cleric_fdf.pdf?dl=0

It's still very much a work in progress but the general aim would be a web page you can go to an either upload a file or fill out a form and it will spit out the pdf.

A primary goal is to be able to enter the minimum you need as well. For example, I plan to have it able to roll up the stats, rearrange to meet the minimums as best it can and then set them to the minimum if those don't work.

Maybe have it use the quick start packs for equipping a pc.

I imagine y'all will have plenty of suggestions once I release it into the wild. :-)

Last edited by gizmomathboy (4/25/2019 9:29 pm)

What? Me worry?

5/04/2019 9:52 pm  #2

Re: pc or pregen generator

Ok, here's an alpha version for y'all to use, abuse, and offer suggestions that I might act upon

http://gizmomathboy.com/pc_gen/pc_form

What? Me worry?

5/04/2019 11:53 pm  #3

gizmomathboy wrote:

Ok, here's an alpha version for y'all to use, abuse, and offer suggestions that I might act upon

doesn't seem to play with safari 10.1.2

5/05/2019 7:28 am  #4

Tried Chrome: text file works, but the dropdowns just give a server error (it has an extra "&stat_file=", which if removed will produce correct results).

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

5/05/2019 8:22 am  #5

Iron Ranger wrote:

gizmomathboy wrote:

Don't have easy access to safari to test to see what it going wrong, but I'll see what I can do.

What? Me worry?

5/05/2019 8:25 am  #6

rhialto wrote:

Tried Chrome: text file works, but the dropdowns just give a server error (it has an extra "&stat_file=", which if removed will produce correct results).

Fixed this.

However, I noticed for me that when viewed in the browser lots of the fields are filled. However, when I downloaded it and viewed they were. Weird.

This is why it's still alpha quality :-)

What? Me worry?

5/05/2019 8:35 am  #7

gizmomathboy wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

gizmomathboy wrote:

Don't have easy access to safari to test to see what it going wrong, but I'll see what I can do.

after I select the stats, class, level (unable to affect stat file box)

get this :502 Bad Gatewaynginx/1.14.0 (Ubuntu)
but last night just went to a blank colored page.

5/05/2019 8:53 am  #8

Iron Ranger wrote:

gizmomathboy wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

Probably while I was fixing it : -)

I found another bug while I was testing a fix for rhialto. Well, not a bug so much as "worry about later". I have a check to see if the attributes meet class requirements and it was just exiting which would lead to a 502 error. I've fixed that now.

Maybe I've shook something free and maybe safari will work.

What? Me worry?

5/05/2019 9:01 am  #9

gizmomathboy wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

gizmomathboy wrote:

I found another bug while I was testing a fix for rhialto. Well, not a bug so much as "worry about later". I have a check to see if the attributes meet class requirements and it was just exiting which would lead to a 502 error. I've fixed that now.

you nailed it!
now: what exactly is that stat file window?
and would be nice to be allowed to simply type in the scores...

5/05/2019 9:16 am  #10

Iron Ranger wrote:

gizmomathboy wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

you nailed it!
now: what exactly is that stat file window?
and would be nice to be allowed to simply type in the scores...

The stat file window is where you can enter the stats in a format that the program can understand.

Above the forms is an example. If you copy and paste that in the stat file window it will do the same as the drop downs.

So far I only "recognize" the attributes, class, and level.

It is mostly case sensitive.

The idea is that you only really need to keep a txt file of you pregens and then just run them through this app to make the filled out pdfs.

I might make a page that goes through the gory details of what I'm doing in a broad sense and list out each and every form data field in the PDF.

What? Me worry?

5/05/2019 12:41 pm  #11

Using the dropdowns, created a non-compliant Death Lord and it got rejected: cool.
Using the dropdowns, created a compliant Death Lord and it got created: cool.
Resultant PDF looks fine, but the font used for the Combat Matrix cells of AC 2 & AC 1 are smaller than all the others in the matrix.
Will play around some more, but certainly looks alpha-functional right now: thanks much!

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."

5/05/2019 4:08 pm  #12

rhialto wrote:

Using the dropdowns, created a non-compliant Death Lord and it got rejected: cool.
Using the dropdowns, created a compliant Death Lord and it got created: cool.
Resultant PDF looks fine, but the font used for the Combat Matrix cells of AC 2 & AC 1 are smaller than all the others in the matrix.
Will play around some more, but certainly looks alpha-functional right now: thanks much!

Yeah, the font used is out of my control at the moment. One method uses a nicer font but many of the fields aren't viewable until you "show fields" and they still don't print. I am seeing what I can do about it but I'm not terribly optimistic.

I'm happy that with 8 lines of text you get about 80-90% of what you want/need in a pregen/character sheet.

Thanks for testing things out. Curse of knowledge and laziness creates some blind spots :-)

What? Me worry?

5/05/2019 8:40 pm  #13

gizmomathboy wrote:

I'm happy that with 8 lines of text you get about 80-90% of what you want/need in a pregen/character sheet.

Yes, this is very useful: very much appreciated!

gizmomathboy wrote:

Thanks for testing things out. Curse of knowledge and laziness creates some blind spots :-)

Happy to help.

5/20/2019 7:08 pm  #14

I've added the starter packs from the the 2e book now, so even more stuff filled out.

Now I need to figure out how I want to take the weapons out of the starter packs and get them into the weapon combat area.

What? Me worry?

5/20/2019 11:03 pm  #15

Any chance to get the saving throw modifiers to land up above on the modifiers line instead of inside the circles?

5/20/2019 11:15 pm  #16

Iron Ranger wrote:

Any chance to get the saving throw modifiers to land up above on the modifiers line instead of inside the circles?

That's completely out of my control. See what the PDF creators can do for that. I'm just automatically filling in the content of the PDF forms. The form has that info show up there.

If I get really stupid and find some free time I could probably adapt the code to fill out another PDF. I don't think that is too likely at the moment. Given how FDF works, it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Not that I'm ruling it out.

I'm just coding towards what I think most folks are using at conventions and the like.

I would like to figure out how to get large fonts used. I think that is partly PDF defaults and partly the way I'm populating the forms.

What? Me worry?

5/21/2019 5:13 am  #17

gizmomathboy wrote:

I've added the starter packs from the the 2e book now, so even more stuff filled out.

Now I need to figure out how I want to take the weapons out of the starter packs and get them into the weapon combat area.

Awesome, thanks much. I played around with a few tests just now: since it's form-fillable these are easily hand-remedied, though.
On Class Abilities: Assassin's "Disguise" ability reads "Onlye 1:6 chance to be discerned"
On Class Abilities: Barbarian's Ambusher ability reads "chanc to surprise"
On Class Abilities: Cataphract's Horsemanship ability reads "missiles weapons"
On Equipage page: Thieves' Tools show up as "thievesâ•Ž tools"
On Equipage page: for Cataphract, nothing was populated

5/21/2019 8:01 am  #18

rhialto wrote:

gizmomathboy wrote:

Awesome, thanks much. I played around with a few tests just now: since it's form-fillable these are easily hand-remedied, though.
On Class Abilities: Assassin's "Disguise" ability reads "Onlye 1:6 chance to be discerned"
On Class Abilities: Barbarian's Ambusher ability reads "chanc to surprise"
On Class Abilities: Cataphract's Horsemanship ability reads "missiles weapons"
On Equipage page: Thieves' Tools show up as "thievesâ•Ž tools"
On Equipage page: for Cataphract, nothing was populated

Thanks for finding the typos and such.

Surprised you found the classes that I didn't mistyped starter_pack as statter_pack!

Also, stoopid Unicode incompatible stuff :-)

While it is easy to copy and paste with form fillable...this project is all about the automation with minimal work (True Laziness, with some Impatience and Pride thrown in for good measure. Thanks Saint Larry).

What? Me worry?

5/21/2019 9:05 am  #19

gizmomathboy wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

That's completely out of my control. See what the PDF creators can do for that. I'm just automatically filling in the content of the PDF forms. The form has that info show up there.

If I get really stupid and find some free time I could probably adapt the code to fill out another PDF. I don't think that is too likely at the moment. Given how FDF works, it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Not that I'm ruling it out.

I'm just coding towards what I think most folks are using at conventions and the like.

I would like to figure out how to get large fonts used. I think that is partly PDF defaults and partly the way I'm populating the forms.

Ah, duh!  I see what they did here.  I still play with the 1E sheets so it took me a sec to figure out what I was looking at.

5/21/2019 10:15 am  #20

I can take a quick look at the 1e sheets to see how different they are and if I can add a choice to use 1e or 2e sheets.

What? Me worry?

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.