!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/07/2019 6:48 am  #1

Imported skill system?

The only thing I find myself missing in the game is a skill system.  I really like having skills.  I think i could replace the D6 adjudication system with a good skill system.

Have any of you experimented with importing a good skill list/system and if so, what game did you pull it from and how did it work out for you?

5/07/2019 6:54 am  #2

Re: Imported skill system?

If I were to introduce a skill system, I would model it on EPT (see also Swords of Abandon or Humanspace Empires) with a 4-in-6 base chance of success (assuming a task would necessitate a roll, that is).

5/07/2019 6:56 am  #3

Ynas Midgard wrote:

If I were to introduce a skill system, I would model it on EPT (see also Swords of Abandon or Humanspace Empires) with a 4-in-6 base chance of success (assuming a task would necessitate a roll, that is).

What is EPT? For some reason the acronym is not apparent to me.

5/07/2019 11:43 am  #4

Empire of the Petal Throne?

(I wish folks (everywhere, online and offline) would follow standard practice and define acronyms when they are first used.)

5/07/2019 7:49 pm  #5

Spellbinder wrote:

Have any of you experimented with importing a good skill list/system and if so, what game did you pull it from and how did it work out for you?

I did, and quickly discarded the idea: I prefer the d6 non-standard task resolution for AS&SH (though I do also play/run skill-based systems like Classic Traveller and Basic Role Playing). I do occasionally look at the Proficiencies in the Adventurer Conqueror King System, but they're a mix of skills and talents. I think the non-standard task resolution is sufficiently flexible to handle the mix of race + background + class = some chance to do some mundane thing.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

5/08/2019 9:19 am  #6

rhialto wrote:

Spellbinder wrote:

I did, and quickly discarded the idea: I prefer the d6 non-standard task resolution for AS&SH (though I do also play/run skill-based systems like Classic Traveller and Basic Role Playing). I do occasionally look at the Proficiencies in the Adventurer Conqueror King System, but they're a mix of skills and talents. I think the non-standard task resolution is sufficiently flexible to handle the mix of race + background + class = some chance to do some mundane thing.

I played Champions for 20+ years and was quite fond of using a skill system.  It was a paradigm shift to go to the d6 task resolution.  If it furthers the adventure they get the information or success.  If I need them not to get the information or success, to further the adventure then no roll.  If I want to be surprised then a d6.  This would include the area of skill rolls for thieves.  I only ask for a roll when it adds to the adventure.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

5/09/2019 7:48 am  #7

mabon5127 wrote:

I played Champions for 20+ years and was quite fond of using a skill system.  It was a paradigm shift to go to the d6 task resolution.  If it furthers the adventure they get the information or success.  If I need them not to get the information or success, to further the adventure then no roll.  If I want to be surprised then a d6.  This would include the area of skill rolls for thieves.  I only ask for a roll when it adds to the adventure.

Agree: the defining aspects of characters in AS&SH are not, e.g., "can I catch some fish off the pier?" (which is best handled with the d6 roll, IMO), but their heroic abilities, as determined by attributes and class. Other games have the skill-based RPing covered.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

5/13/2019 7:29 pm  #8

No need for a skill system. I keep it simple. If I need something that calls for something outta the norm I just use a d20 or 3d6 under a related ability score. If I want to add difficulty I add d6s. 4d6, 5d6 etc.
If you added a skill system to this game it (for me) just would complicate the simplicity.
Why do I need a fire building skill when I can just say: roll 3d6 under your wisdom, dex or int? And if it is windy..... Hey do it in 4d6? 

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.