!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/22/2019 12:14 pm  #1

Character Gen app

So, for some reason I feel the need to create a program that can:

1) select a class
2) roll attributes (or set them)
3) potentially uploading a text file of 1 and 2.

and it will spit out a character sheet pdf.

This is kinda similar to some of the spreadsheets some folks have created but I guess I'm aiming is folks that want to make pregens and don't want to type everything in.

So, I'm creating data tables for everything.

Man, there are like 100 different class abilities (not counting progressive thief abilities).

My abilities table is like 142 lines. Mostly because I break out some abilities by level like:

"Defence Ability1"
"Defence Ability3"
"Defence Ability5"
"Defence Ability7"
"Defence Ability9"
"Defence Ability11"

I'm close to having some bare bones tables to get most of the way there.

The real goofiness is handling the spell casting of rangers and the like that have spells from different realms.

What? Me worry?

4/29/2019 7:25 pm  #2

Re: Character Gen app

8,772 lines constituting about 21,506 words later...I have like 99% of the data entry of tables and such later...phase 1 of this idea is done.

Now for the web app

What? Me worry?

4/30/2019 10:05 am  #3

gizmomathboy wrote:

8,772 lines constituting about 21,506 words later...I have like 99% of the data entry of tables and such later...phase 1 of this idea is done.

Now for the web app

Good on you, Gizmo.

4/30/2019 10:18 am  #4

Thanks man.

Data entry is a nightmare.

I guess on the plus side I have a much better knowledge of the class abilities.

Most notably which classes can cure diseases at first level. Which is of some importance it turns out in Chainsaw's Xambaala campaign.

Which by the way are, in alphabetical order:

1: Monk
2: Paladin (bonus immunity to natural diseases)
3: Runegraver
4: Shaman (for only natural diseases they have knowledge of)

In this particular campaign disease via rat bite is more common than one would think. I do think we've had 1 zombie bite. I think there have been at least 4 instance of disease via rat bite and at least 3 of those are the "die in about a week" level of plague.

Also, somewhere along the way I'll probably tackle the weather tables, too. Maybe I'll start a thread to get input on the flow for that.

Last edited by gizmomathboy (4/30/2019 8:24 pm)

What? Me worry?

4/30/2019 7:21 pm  #5

What are you writing this in?

4/30/2019 8:23 pm  #6

Perl.

The web app will be using Mojolicious (also Perl).

The data files are all YAML which I think is the heart/hard part of this.

What? Me worry?

4/30/2019 11:42 pm  #7

Nice!

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.