!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/29/2019 11:36 pm  #1

How to cast a spell

I have read over the spells section a few times and am still not seeing how to cast a basic spell.  I see there are instructions on spell memorization and things like that but it seems to neglect actually stating how a basic spell is cast in the first place.,  Am I missing something? Does a spell go off automatically if you are not struck while casting and if the spell does not stipulate some kind of casting roll like an attack roll or something?

Last edited by Spellbinder (4/30/2019 9:23 am)

4/30/2019 4:56 am  #2

Re: How to cast a spell

Yes, spellcasting is automatic as long as nothing impedes (bound or gagged caster) or interrupts (silencing, being struck or distracted, etc.) the casting attempt. In the "Spell Casting" section it states this:

"The sorcery of magicians requires both verbal incantations and complicated hand gestures. Sorcerers who are prevented from speaking or from moving their hands are unable to cast spells. Weapons must be sheathed, shields shouldered, and other handheld items dropped or stowed. The sorcery of clerics is less restrictive; because their sorcery is almost exclusively verbal, they are able to maintain their weapons and/or shields whilst casting. If a spell caster is struck before his spell fires, his spell is disrupted."

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

4/30/2019 5:42 am  #3

You also might reference VOL. III, p. 252: COMBAT ACTIONS, magic.

4/30/2019 9:22 am  #4

Thanks, all.  I was a tad confused because it didn't seem to spell out implicitly that the spell goes off automatically unless the caster is somehow interfered with or the spell has some kind of qualifying roll associated with it.  I wanted to ensure I was understanding it correctly.  I appreciate it.

4/30/2019 11:53 am  #5

Although Ghul and DMPrata have done an "Astonishing" job (see what I did there?) with the rule-set, specifically as related to making them as user friendly as possible, it seems like some understanding of the rules definitely benefit from having a background in OSR games/gaming, or a familiarity with the games/rule-sets that inform the OSR ... such as Spell Casting for example.

4/30/2019 1:59 pm  #6

Well, I did used to play red box D&D and AD&D but it was many moons ago.  I also own Labyrinth Lord, Castles & Crusades, the Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG, etc.

4/30/2019 2:15 pm  #7

Yes, unless there is some other section of the rules which explicitly states something to the effect of "Spells are automatically cast unless..." it is an assumption that casting is automatic (a good assumption, though, based on the rule pedigree).

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.