!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/29/2019 6:53 am  #1

Advanced Combat - how many of you use these options?

I am just curious as to how many of you out there use the optional Advanced Combat options in the game vs. those of you that choose not to in order to keep the game simple?

4/29/2019 7:56 am  #2

Re: Advanced Combat - how many of you use these options?

Spellbinder wrote:

I am just curious as to how many of you out there use the optional Advanced Combat options in the game vs. those of you that choose not to in order to keep the game simple?

I don't actively incorporate them as a referee, usually deferring to some sort of situation-based attack modifier or test of STR/DEX to handle unusual requests, but if a player said, "I want to use advanced option X," I'd most likely indulge him. Never tried one as a player either. I typically just describe what I have in mind and let the referee figure it out (I'm lazy I guess!).

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

4/29/2019 8:06 am  #3

I've only had a couple players ever remember them in the heat of battle.

4/29/2019 8:07 am  #4

Chainsaw wrote:

Spellbinder wrote:

I don't actively incorporate them as a referee, usually deferring to some sort of situation-based attack modifier or test of STR/DEX to handle unusual requests, but if a player said, "I want to use advanced option X," I'd most likely indulge him. Never tried one as a player either. I typically just describe what I have in mind and let the referee figure it out (I'm lazy I guess!).

Same here: the basic system is fine for my group (I Ref), but if one of my players wanted to try one I'd let them, as long as it didn't slow the game down (i.e., they ask ahead of time, we both read the specific rule and agree on how it's intended to be used and only then would it be available). Otherwise I just make adjudications on the fly.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

4/29/2019 8:34 am  #5

Chainsaw wrote:

Spellbinder wrote:

Chainsaw you so do use advanced combat rules, or at least one: critical hits. :-)

As a ref I would allow them, but as has already been noted few choose to use them because they forget about them.

As a player I haven't really thought about any I would use. Two-weapon fighting is probably the most likely I would use if I had a character with a sufficiently high DX.

What? Me worry?

4/29/2019 8:46 am  #6

gizmomathboy wrote:

Chainsaw you so do use advanced combat rules, or at least one: critical hits. :-)

Hahah! I thought that was advanced combat rolls

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

4/29/2019 11:04 am  #7

Chainsaw wrote:

Spellbinder wrote:

Once or twice in years of play. Mostly just situational modifiers. Clever use of the environment happens a lot more often.

Last edited by mabon5127 (4/29/2019 11:05 am)

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

4/29/2019 2:06 pm  #8

Chainsaw wrote:

t if a player said, "I want to use advanced option X," I'd most likely indulge him. Never tried one as a player either. I typically just describe what I have in mind and let the referee figure it out (I'm lazy I guess!).

I want to use the throw and charge option, wherein my viking hurls his francisca, then runs in and beats ass with his sword.

Last edited by francisca (4/29/2019 2:06 pm)

4/30/2019 10:07 am  #9

If a player wants to use 'em, they're in. They aren't that complex.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.