!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/26/2019 7:50 am  #1

Spiral Mountain Anchors

These twelve silvery spikes are found in a wallet of soft, furry Vhuurmi hide. Their points are chisel-shaped, and the shafts spiral to a loop at the end that a rope can easily pass through. The metal feels soft and warm to the touch, though it resists all mark or imprint. The spikes gleam dully in even the dimmest light.

With a slight tap, one of these spikes can be driven into any normal surface -- stone, ice, metal, wood, and so on -- as long as the medium is thick enough to hold the spike. (They will not enter thinner strata; their magic is of holding and bonding, not destruction.) Once in place, no normal force can remove the spike -- only powerful magic or the destruction of the surface will cause the hold to yield. These spikes can be driven into more exotic walls -- adamantium, tears, human dreams, the wings of fey suicides -- though success is not assured. Depending on the strength and enchantment of the surface, the character using the Sprial Mountain Anchor might need to roll under their level on 1d8, 1d10, or 2d6.

A single Spiral Mountain Anchor can be used to spike shut any normal door. Once done, the door is wizard locked as if by a magician of the same level as the user. The character who drove in the spike, though, has no special ability to cause the door to open. Only those abilities and magics that bypass a wizard lock can open the portal. The destruction of the door might (50/50) result in the Spiral Mountain Anchor becoming free from its bond and usable once again. There is a chance that one or more Spiral Mountain Anchors could spike shut great valves, portals between worlds, the doors of perception, and other ontological openings.

3/26/2019 8:11 am  #2

Re: Spiral Mountain Anchors

Handy Haversack wrote:

These twelve silvery spikes are found in a wallet of soft, furry Vhuurmi hide. Their points are chisel-shaped, and the shafts spiral to a loop at the end that a rope can easily pass through. The metal feels soft and warm to the touch, though it resists all mark or imprint. The spikes gleam dully in even the dimmest light.

With a slight tap, one of these spikes can be driven into any normal surface -- stone, ice, metal, wood, and so on -- as long as the medium is thick enough to hold the spike. (They will not enter thinner strata; their magic is of holding and bonding, not destruction.) Once in place, no normal force can remove the spike -- only powerful magic or the destruction of the surface will cause the hold to yield. These spikes can be driven into more exotic walls -- adamantium, tears, human dreams, the wings of fey suicides -- though success is not assured. Depending on the strength and enchantment of the surface, the character using the Sprial Mountain Anchor might need to roll under their level on 1d8, 1d10, or 2d6.

A single Spiral Mountain Anchor can be used to spike shut any normal door. Once done, the door is wizard locked as if by a magician of the same level as the user. The character who drove in the spike, though, has no special ability to cause the door to open. Only those abilities and magics that bypass a wizard lock can open the portal. The destruction of the door might (50/50) result in the Spiral Mountain Anchor becoming free from its bond and usable once again. There is a chance that one or more Spiral Mountain Anchors could spike shut great valves, portals between worlds, the doors of perception, and other ontological openings.

I love this!  Though I think I would allow, in addition to the above, the person that placed them to remove them with a twist or a dispel magic against the level of the placer to shake them loose. I could see them as infinitely useful to thieves.  But I'm not a hardcore ref.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

3/26/2019 8:24 am  #3

Thanks!

You know me, Mabon -- I like my magic items ephemeral!

3/26/2019 10:06 am  #4

Handy Haversack wrote:

Thanks!

You know me, Mabon -- I like my magic items ephemeral!

I also appreciate your expanding this hillbilly's vocabulary.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

3/26/2019 1:01 pm  #5

Great idea, Handy!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

3/26/2019 1:27 pm  #6

Chainsaw wrote:

Great idea, Handy!

Thanks, Chainsaw! They can't all be +0 swords.

3/26/2019 4:08 pm  #7

Handy Haversack wrote:

Chainsaw wrote:

Great idea, Handy!

Well, you know, the +0 part makes it funny, but there's a wondrous, gritty simplicity to having only regular swords (can't hit certain monsters) and magical swords (can hit them), discarding the plus system entirely.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

3/26/2019 4:46 pm  #8

Chainsaw wrote:

Handy Haversack wrote:

Chainsaw wrote:

Great idea, Handy!

Well, you know, the +0 part makes it funny, but there's a wondrous, gritty simplicity to having only regular swords (can't hit certain monsters) and magical swords (can hit them), discarding the plus system entirely.

I have some longer thoughts on this fermenting (better help them out!) these days, but: yeah. And then the next step up is swords that are magical and do *something*: mirror image, chance of petrifaction, speed, make zombies, make zombies love you, make zombie love. The whole panoply!

3/27/2019 3:02 pm  #9

Very interesting item Handy...

Eh, was wondering the cost and XP gain?

I also tried a few items, placed with my new mancer classes ideas, just for fun, but I could not get a mental rule on price or XP I should give them. I not want to give to much or little, but I can not think of a format.

Was wonder if Jeff or another has created a chart on the process.

3/27/2019 4:51 pm  #10

Caveman wrote:

Very interesting item Handy...

Eh, was wondering the cost and XP gain?

I also tried a few items, placed with my new mancer classes ideas, just for fun, but I could not get a mental rule on price or XP I should give them. I not want to give to much or little, but I can not think of a format.

Was wonder if Jeff or another has created a chart on the process.

Hmm. No idea, really. Magic items never get sold in my game. Who would have the cash other than maybe other adventurers or monsters, and why would you ever sell to them? I can't imagine more than 1,000 gold changing hands for almost any reason!

XP? Like 1,000? And I now pretty much always split magic item XP among the party.

But I'm sure also that there are rough equivalents in the book Misc. Magic table that would make sense for comparison?

3/28/2019 7:35 am  #11

Handy Haversack wrote:

XP? Like 1,000? And I now pretty much always split magic item XP among the party.

But I'm sure also that there are rough equivalents in the book Misc. Magic table that would make sense for comparison?

Yeah, magic items being sold and a shop to do it in this world; if not scrolls or potions would be ridiculous. So comprehend the price thing...

Cheers, yeah, did not want to use to much brain power, its at 25% power each day and more thinking would have it at 7% and that is just enough power to wash and dry the dishes!

4/08/2019 12:05 pm  #12

My players found a set of these yesterday. I had to look here to remember what they did! Hi, Rob!

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.