!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/21/2019 2:56 pm  #1701

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

achiriaco wrote:

fireinthedust wrote:

achiriaco wrote:

Did my dagger drop to the ground or is it still stuck in the Alpha?

If it’s still embedded in the alpha, that wolf is not going anywhere.

The Alpha Wolf took off.... So he did go somewhere.

Adrenaline or not, running around with a dagger in your guts is not fun.

3/21/2019 4:26 pm  #1702

fireinthedust wrote:

achiriaco wrote:

fireinthedust wrote:

So I am asking the DM if it fell on the ground or is still in him.
If it fell on the ground I would like to retrieve it.

3/21/2019 7:04 pm  #1703

fireinthedust wrote:

I did! Ok this is workable.

But Emral is blinded temporarily, or more like everything is colored red?

Emral is blinded red.

3/21/2019 7:05 pm  #1704

achiriaco wrote:

It is still stuck in the Alpha.

3/21/2019 7:05 pm  #1705

fireinthedust wrote:

achiriaco wrote:

It is still embedded in the alpha,  and that alpha is gone!

3/21/2019 7:07 pm  #1706

achiriaco wrote:

fireinthedust wrote:

achiriaco wrote:

Correct.

3/21/2019 7:08 pm  #1707

fireinthedust wrote:

achiriaco wrote:

fireinthedust wrote:

Alpha's live for this...

3/21/2019 7:08 pm  #1708

achiriaco wrote:

fireinthedust wrote:

achiriaco wrote:

So I am asking the DM if it fell on the ground or is still in him.
If it fell on the ground I would like to retrieve it.

gone with the alpha...

3/21/2019 7:10 pm  #1709

+ 210 XP each for dealing with  the wolves.

+ 300 XP to Emral for grabbing the alpha's collar!

+ 500 XP to Malak for using the Gem of Brightness!

Malak at 6 HP and bleeding.
Emral at 5 HP , casting arm damn near torn off, and Blind!

3/21/2019 7:21 pm  #1710

Did the collar come off when the alpha bolted?

3/21/2019 7:52 pm  #1711

No. Emral most likely released it when he went blind.

3/21/2019 9:27 pm  #1712

I rub the rabbits foot on my wounds. Concentrating on its healing powers.

3/21/2019 9:28 pm  #1713

Malak also puts the gem back in his pocket.

3/22/2019 10:50 am  #1714

“This is bad! I’m blind. My arm is wounded. I’m going to need your help with the rabbits foot, and I want to drink one of the clear potions. We need to get ready for the wolves to return. What did you do to my eyes?”

3/22/2019 3:56 pm  #1715

Ooc:  we’re at a tense moment in the game. I’m gung ho, but being blind, out of hit points, and a ruined sword arm, is going to make going forward difficult. Plus the disease and the curse penalty to saving throws. I’m not sure if Emral can interact with the environment in a meaningful way, with areas seemingly blocked by dice success (ie: climbing either rope to investigate the bodies on the roof). While Malak has a chance to shine, which is great, I’m not sure about forcing my fellow player and colleague to do all the work; and asking for everything from another player who is likely busy in real life is no fun for either of us. If I think there’s something on the roof and I can’t go there, but he chooses not to go up, but the game stalls until somebody goes up, it is a problem.
I’m not asking for a free healing, but given the medium of the game (play by post) I am worried about the game stalling and dying. I have been playing these since roughly 1996, and the longevity of this particular game is miraculous. I’m not gonna let the game die, I’m just not sure what I can do to participate; and with slow post rates a reality of the medium, it’s not just a one session of sitting back but potentially weeks.
I really want to know what happens next. I thought you were going to have us die and fight our way back from the land of the dead, for a minute there.
I’m just not sure about how to proceed with no ability to see, fight, or interact with the door locks or traps.
I want to overcome the challenge, don’t get me wrong, I’m just saying what I am thinking.
Any suggestions or ideas?

3/22/2019 4:10 pm  #1716

achiriaco wrote:

I rub the rabbits foot on my wounds. Concentrating on its healing powers.

You pass the foot over your wounds and they close before your eyes. 
Add 2 HP.

3/22/2019 4:11 pm  #1717

fireinthedust wrote:

“This is bad! I’m blind. My arm is wounded. I’m going to need your help with the rabbits foot, and I want to drink one of the clear potions. We need to get ready for the wolves to return. What did you do to my eyes?”

Already the red begins to fade...

3/22/2019 4:16 pm  #1718

fireinthedust wrote:

Ooc: we’re at a tense moment in the game. I’m gung ho, but being blind, out of hit points, and a ruined sword arm, is going to make going forward difficult. Plus the disease and the curse penalty to saving throws. I’m not sure if Emral can interact with the environment in a meaningful way, with areas seemingly blocked by dice success (ie: climbing either rope to investigate the bodies on the roof). While Malak has a chance to shine, which is great, I’m not sure about forcing my fellow player and colleague to do all the work; and asking for everything from another player who is likely busy in real life is no fun for either of us. If I think there’s something on the roof and I can’t go there, but he chooses not to go up, but the game stalls until somebody goes up, it is a problem.
I’m not asking for a free healing, but given the medium of the game (play by post) I am worried about the game stalling and dying. I have been playing these since roughly 1996, and the longevity of this particular game is miraculous. I’m not gonna let the game die, I’m just not sure what I can do to participate; and with slow post rates a reality of the medium, it’s not just a one session of sitting back but potentially weeks.
I really want to know what happens next. I thought you were going to have us die and fight our way back from the land of the dead, for a minute there.
I’m just not sure about how to proceed with no ability to see, fight, or interact with the door locks or traps.
I want to overcome the challenge, don’t get me wrong, I’m just saying what I am thinking.
Any suggestions or ideas?

I'd say have Emral stay calm and let Malak get a lay of the land.
Low HPs just means more careful actions.
Emral has the Ring of Warmth so he is immune to the most pressing danger.

Personally, I think the game is moving along at a pretty rapid clip even though I started it almost 10 months ago. I figured then that I'd only have 1 player, and was worried how I'd keep it straight if more wanted to join, but I think having more than one has kept the pace up and I appreciate both of you guys's active participation. And now I always expect that someone else could be just around the next corner...who knows.

3/22/2019 5:59 pm  #1719

Play by Post is historically slow paced and can last years. With weeks in between actually anything happening.

3/22/2019 6:05 pm  #1720

achiriaco wrote:

Play by Post is historically slow paced and can last years. With weeks in between actually anything happening.

Perhaps that's true, I've never played a play by post before.
The historical model doesn't sound like much fun,
and sounds like a hold over from the ancient Play by Post - as in Play by Mail...
I am happy with our pace, 10 months so far but feels very rapid fire and, for me, never dull.

Last edited by Iron Ranger (3/22/2019 6:06 pm)

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.