!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/05/2019 10:23 am  #1301

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

achiriaco wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

achiriaco wrote:

I have my bow ready

Where is arrow #7?

FYI, When someone says "I have my bow ready" you can assume it includes and arrow with it. Malak is not going to try to pick the monster's nose with his bow.

With any other player I would make the assumption...

2/05/2019 10:25 am  #1302

Map looks like I remembered it? Is this accurate?

2/05/2019 10:38 am  #1303

the stairway should be a tad east by 5 ft., flush with NW cornerstone.

2/05/2019 12:09 pm  #1304

OK.  

For the cemetery fence, is it flush with the wall or is there a gap?  Because in the map I made, the cemetery goes to about 5ft short of the wall. If the cemetery is longer, that's good to know.

2/05/2019 12:11 pm  #1305

It's been hard to use ascii on here , as the lines never hold from what I make to what gets shown.

What I've tried to describe is:
The fence is not flush with the north or south walls, it is set back about 5 ft.

2/05/2019 12:18 pm  #1306

Right, I've added that wall. now to confirm the fence of the cemetery is right up to the wall, or if there's a gap.

Plus with the basement being precisely at the corner, we can be faaaaaairly certain the dome room is under the bell tower or, perhaps, a well.  personally, a well near a cemetery is poor civic planning, but I suppose that's one more reason this village didn't work out.  I mean, obviously they would have gotten a plague or intestinal parasites or something.  not to mention whatever toxins from the embalming process of the day. Fact: Rome had a boundary called the pomerium, a ring inside of which iirc the dead couldn't be buried for just this reason.

2/05/2019 12:30 pm  #1307

The main problem here is that the 5-10' fat walls are throwing things off a bit.
I really like the way they look but for example - The burned out doorway at J10 is 10ft. which pushes the kitchen 10x20 down to I&J5. So that the north wall corner is not aligning with the south wall corner.
so you'll need to take that into consideration when I give the measurements.

or maybe you did. 

I would say that since you've gotten to the southern corner, you need to fatten that western wall to match the northern one. Make sense?

Last edited by Iron Ranger (2/05/2019 12:39 pm)

2/05/2019 1:42 pm  #1308

Iron Ranger wrote:

The main problem here is that the 5-10' fat walls are throwing things off a bit.
I really like the way they look but for example - The burned out doorway at J10 is 10ft. which pushes the kitchen 10x20 down to I&J5. So that the north wall corner is not aligning with the south wall corner.
so you'll need to take that into consideration when I give the measurements.

or maybe you did. 

I would say that since you've gotten to the southern corner, you need to fatten that western wall to match the northern one. Make sense?

Makes sense.  The current large version has that fixed, I think, as it's large enough that the walls aren't all one grid space thick. that said, it's taught me that giving walls a space thick is often easier to map than smaller spaces. I'm still not sure how to draw the 8ft diameter dome room on the grid map, but I'll see what I can do.  Open to suggestions, as always - not like it's easy discussing this via pbp, lol.

I've tried stone patters rather than hatching, but I think I've learned that I'm constitutionally impatient. I'll need to practice bricks later. Maybe I should get a ruler for this stuff...

So for the cemetery, it goes from the southern wall to the northern wall, and is six spaces by three spaces?

2/05/2019 1:46 pm  #1309

here's a freehand attempt on bristol board! Like I said with the brickwork, I think I'll need to use a ruler or something.  (shrugs)

2/05/2019 1:48 pm  #1310

The fence is not flush with either the southern or northern walls, rather, it starts 5 ft offset of each. (It is smaller north to south by 10 ft. than the church building) 6 x 3 squares.

So north fence would start middle of the fireplace.

and another little thing. the stairs inside the kitchen wall are steep and only go down about 5ft ish so would end middle of next square.

Last edited by Iron Ranger (2/05/2019 1:53 pm)

2/05/2019 2:09 pm  #1311

Iron Ranger wrote:

The fence is not flush with either the southern or northern walls, rather, it starts 5 ft offset of each. (It is smaller north to south by 10 ft. than the church building) 6 x 3 squares.

So north fence would start middle of the fireplace.

and another little thing. the stairs inside the kitchen wall are steep and only go down about 5ft ish so would end middle of next square.

Cool!  And the gate is below the current F or G?
And the bell tower is in 7 or 8? and at D or E?

2/05/2019 2:10 pm  #1312

Emral peeks around the corner, between the fence and the wall, and moves into the courtyard. Step by step scanning for danger, for the bell tower and any other features this closer look will provide them.

2/05/2019 2:58 pm  #1313

fireinthedust wrote:

Emral peeks around the corner, between the fence and the wall, and moves into the courtyard. Step by step scanning for danger, for the bell tower and any other features this closer look will provide them.

Emral moves north from the southwest corner of the church. after 5 ft he is stopped by the wrought iron fence which is bolted to the stone wall. He cannot move farther north unless he climbs over the fence. He shines his lantern to the north and sees the stone wall of the church extends only another 5 ft. 

Last edited by Iron Ranger (2/05/2019 5:27 pm)

2/05/2019 3:10 pm  #1314

something like this

Last edited by Iron Ranger (2/05/2019 3:23 pm)

2/05/2019 5:00 pm  #1315

Ooooooooohhhh!  Okay, so the wall has a corner and then ten feet of more wall?  And then a fence.  The gate is at G in this map? Like between G1 and G2?

I was sure the lower level was further down, but that's great, too.  Weird.  And the tunnel is five feet long? That makes sense.

Is there anything beyond the cemetery fence?  Like woods or just trees and snow?

2/05/2019 5:09 pm  #1316

fireinthedust wrote:

Ooooooooohhhh!  Okay, so the wall has a corner and then ten feet of more wall?  And then a fence.  The gate is at G in this map? Like between G1 and G2?

I was sure the lower level was further down, but that's great, too.  Weird.  And the tunnel is five feet long? That makes sense.

Is there anything beyond the cemetery fence?  Like woods or just trees and snow?

Not ten, these are 5ft squares on your map.

I can't recall what all I said way back when you guys were at the gate.  I think you saw a small animal trail leading down from faraway  Shankshill Mtn to the west, and through the gate toward the courtyard area. but the grasses are very tall, you'd have to go back and reread. Or you guys could go over there and check again...

2/05/2019 7:34 pm  #1317

Iron Ranger wrote:

Five feet, then fence, then five more feet of wall?

Regardless, looks like the path is blocked unless we go around to the gate. That means popping through the cemetery to get to the interior of the courtyard.

What does the cemetary look like, in terms of a direct path from the gate? Is there a path?

2/05/2019 7:46 pm  #1318

fireinthedust wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

Five feet, then fence, then five more feet of wall?

Regardless, looks like the path is blocked unless we go around to the gate. That means popping through the cemetery to get to the interior of the courtyard.

What does the cemetary look like, in terms of a direct path from the gate? Is there a path?

Exactly.
Yep. Or could try to climb over.
You'd have to go over to the gate  to know. Your memory is foggy from before. The grasses were and are very tall, blocking your view and currently whipping wildly in the swirling snowy wind.

2/06/2019 8:23 am  #1319

Emral doesn't want to climb, so leads the way toward the gate.  (please list specific sqare on the grid)

2/06/2019 9:10 am  #1320

The fresh snow clumps at their boots as they stumble along the wrought iron fence. Boreas' howls pierces their ears, blocking out even the hard thumps of their own heavy heartbeats, but on they press with much exertion a much earned ten feet. Luckily Emral is protected from these frozen squalls, but a glance back at his companion worries him - the hapless thief is nearly walking ice, his leather and winter wolf pelt small comfort in this frigid blast.

The grasses within the cemetery wildly flail, even crossing the fence line and smacking their faces. 
A small red glow is witnessed on occasion between the shifting unkempt blades on the ground.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.