!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/24/2019 11:37 am  #21

Re: Ghouls and Damage Reducing Armor

achiriaco wrote:

A hit is a hit
Now make a saving throw!

Ha! You guys are bad-ass. Much more hardcore than me. And I'm hardcore, I swear! Just ask my players -- those guys hate my guts. 

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

1/24/2019 12:51 pm  #22

Ghul wrote:

achiriaco wrote:

A hit is a hit
Now make a saving throw!

Ha! You guys are bad-ass. Much more hardcore than me. And I'm hardcore, I swear! Just ask my players -- those guys hate my guts. 

If you have to swear that you are hardcore then you probably have lost it.....

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

1/24/2019 12:54 pm  #23

mabon5127 wrote:

Ghul wrote:

achiriaco wrote:

A hit is a hit
Now make a saving throw!

If you have to swear that you are hardcore then you probably have lost it.....

And there are plenty of reasons they might hate his guts that have little to nothing to do with the hardness of his core!

1/24/2019 1:23 pm  #24

@ Handy
Ouch :D

1/24/2019 3:31 pm  #25

Ynas Midgard wrote:

@ Handy
Ouch :D

I'm a bad person. Ghul knows. It's why I'm here!

1/24/2019 6:42 pm  #26

Vengeance will be mine! ;)

1/31/2019 9:48 am  #27

It's a hit but failed to touch skin. That said there are a situations that I rule worn armor doesn't even apply. Like getting stomped by a mastodon or chewed up by a tyrannosaurus. 

Edit: Has anyone who's seen "Fellowhip of the Ring" think that troll's spear should have crushed Frodo, regardless of his mithral shirt?

Last edited by Jimm.Iblis (1/31/2019 9:54 am)

"Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, it's not a game."  ~ Gary Gygax

1/31/2019 10:21 am  #28

Jimm.Iblis wrote:

It's a hit but failed to touch skin. That said there are a situations that I rule worn armor doesn't even apply. Like getting stomped by a mastodon or chewed up by a tyrannosaurus. 

Edit: Has anyone who's seen "Fellowhip of the Ring" think that troll's spear should have crushed Frodo, regardless of his mithral shirt?

For me a hit is when it touches skin. and you lose hit points, make saves.
A miss is when the steel (or ghoul-y fingers) make sparks off your armor.

2/15/2019 4:38 pm  #29

A middle road is to see if the difference between the number required to hit and the die roll is equal to or smaller than the damage resistance, ie a Ghoul is fighting a guy in chain and shield (AC 4, DR 1).  This can be a reflection of how true the blow was.

Roll
10 or less is a miss (AC5)
11 miss but strikes the shield (AC4)
12 hits the chain, rolls a 1, reduced to 0, doesn't hit skin (the strike was not quite hard enough to get through the armor), greater than 0 damage, roll save
13 or greater, touches skin regardless of damage (the strike was powerful enough to get past the armor, roll save)

Basically, the 0 reduced damage and no save only works out when the attack roll is really close to what is barely needed, and the damage is reduced to 0.  Higher attack rolls mean the beast got a clammy paw on you regardless, but didn't get you good enough to cause damage. 

Of course, the damage reduction effect is magnified with plate, since two of the claw attacks are 1-3 damage (d3), reduced to d3-2: -1,0,1.  In this case, treat any -1 results as a clean miss, which is understandable considering the amount of protection plate provides, with elaborate undergarments, padding, chain, plate, leather, etc...

12 or less is a miss
13 a miss, but hits the shield
14-15 hits the plate, damage is reduced by 2.  Any damage above 0, roll save. 
16+: Damage reduced by 2, roll save if damage is 0 or higher

ANOTHER way to do this is to give the damage reduction as a bonus to the Death save on a successful hit as some sort of avoidance bonus, which would probably be simpler overall.

Last edited by Hackhamster (2/15/2019 4:39 pm)

"AS&SH feels like late 70’s fantasy roleplaying from a parallel dimension where Frodo was unceremoniously slain by Conan." - rpg.net review

2/15/2019 7:06 pm  #30

Hackhamster wrote:

ANOTHER way to do this is to give the damage reduction as a bonus to the Death save on a successful hit as some sort of avoidance bonus, which would probably be simpler overall.

This is an interesting idea!

2/16/2019 3:22 pm  #31

I would say a hit is a hit and that the ghoul's touch is in effect regardless of DR.

Now, having the DR be a bonus to the save *IF* there was no damage...I could abide that.

What? Me worry?

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.