!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/16/2014 6:00 am  #1

Finding Conan (14-minute documentary)

This documenary, done in four parts, is pretty well done:

Part One:

Part Two:

Part Three:

Part Four:

My only criticism is that I wish he'd taken the time to mention Novalyn Price (Howard's GF), whose biography of Howard was written specifically to debunk the De Camp's erroneous and slanderous portrayal of Howard. Her biography was adapted to film in "Whole Wide World," which was very well done. The maker of this four-part documentary (above) utilizes "Whole Wide World" a lot in his footage, yet he doesn't mention it. Notwithstanding, I like what he's done.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

4/16/2014 9:59 am  #2

Re: Finding Conan (14-minute documentary)

I really hate what De Camp and Carter did to Conan. Carter's biography of Lovecraft is also a load of slanderous crap.

4/16/2014 12:44 pm  #3

Thanks for posting this.  Its a great primer for the new enthusiast.  Very succinct. 

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

4/16/2014 1:00 pm  #4

Quite interesting.
I thought De Camp was just a very bad writter who tooke after Howard to continue the serie. 

10/26/2017 12:31 am  #5

Thrilled to have stumbled upon this thread and videos.  I was entirely unaware of De Camp's IP/character assassination of Howard.  Eye-opening to say the least, and an excellent cautionary tale.

Certainly, the video's creator should have taken his own medicine and credited the source material on screen.

Now I need to go watch "Whole Wide World."

Thanks, Ghul!

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.