!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/10/2019 3:37 pm  #921

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Emral opens all the others in turn.  1) Check for magical runes or labels, 2) check for wires or some kind of trap, 3) open scroll case, 4) assess contents, 5) replace scroll into case, 6) move on to next scroll.

Should I roll dice for each case as I did for this one?

1/10/2019 3:57 pm  #922

[No more rolls needed.]

None of the cases have writing or symbols.

Scroll case #2 contains a rolled up parchment. The markings are in Common: "Whosoever reads these words shall hencefore apply a negative 4 to all saving tosses of the bones..."  [Emral only suffers]

Scroll case #3 contains a rolled up parchment. The markings are in Common headed with the phrase Protection from Otherworldly Beings.

Scroll case #4 contains a rolled up flambeed animal skin. The magical symbols are finely crafted in smoked ink, an intricately drawn incantation which can only belong to the school of pyromancy. The markings you know well, but this order and flourish will require detailed examination.

Scroll case #5 contains a rolled up parchment. The markings are in Common headed with the phrase Protection from Undead.

Scroll case #6 contains a rolled up piece of oversized vellum. The 3 different portions of markings are unknown to Emral but undoubtedly share similarities with other Clerical works.

[How do you wish to celebrate the XP from this find? Shared?]

1/10/2019 7:22 pm  #923

Wait... a permanent-4 to all saving throws? With no warning on the scroll despite taking all available precautions. That’s a -20% modifier. Dang Community not joining us with someone who can cast appropriate spells...!!!
Hrmmmm... how long are we talking?  And is there a way to remove the curse mentioned in the scroll of shattering the fourth barrier? Anything... descriptive and atmospheric?

Pyromancy: heck yeah! I need some more variety and options.

Other scrolls: reading anything else for you to grant us exposition and adventure hooks.

1/10/2019 7:34 pm  #924

fireinthedust wrote:

Wait... a permanent-4 to all saving throws? With no warning on the scroll despite taking all available precautions. That’s a -20% modifier. Dang Community not joining us with someone who can cast appropriate spells...!!!
Hrmmmm... how long are we talking? And is there a way to remove the curse mentioned in the scroll of shattering the fourth barrier? Anything... descriptive and atmospheric?

Pyromancy: heck yeah! I need some more variety and options.

Other scrolls: reading anything else for you to grant us exposition and adventure hooks.

[Cursed scrolls are quite vicious in Hyperborea! You got lucky!]

[HAHAHA! All adventure hooks are right there in front of you guys...the whole time...]

[I guess you two can divide the XP for these precious items you've identified:
Protection of Otherworldly Beings = 2500XP
Dismissal = 500XP
Protection from Undead = 1250XP
4250XP /2 =  2125 each!
Anybody level up??]

1/10/2019 7:38 pm  #925

Emral totals 6740 XP, becoming 3rd level Warlock! Congrats!

Roll new HP! 
Choose your 2nd level spell!
note FA3 matrix

1/10/2019 8:38 pm  #926

FA3?

I still want more people to join us. This game is good and the world is often hard, I feel like there must be a quality player in the world who would benefit as much as we would from rounding out the party; and clearly we need a healer and/or a tank, as I’m not durable enough to do everything we need.

I’m going to try to level up after I sleep. I want to think about the spell, and find out what spells are on the scroll for me.

1/10/2019 8:55 pm  #927

fireinthedust wrote:

FA3?

I still want more people to join us. This game is good and the world is often hard, I feel like there must be a quality player in the world who would benefit as much as we would from rounding out the party; and clearly we need a healer and/or a tank, as I’m not durable enough to do everything we need.

I’m going to try to level up after I sleep. I want to think about the spell, and find out what spells are on the scroll for me.

[Fighting Ability 3. ]

[Shankshill is a blighted land. The plague raged far so there aren't many living souls about and without Rannar- one less.  And it was very difficult for the priest to find even the 2 of you to venture out in the brutal conditions of Nightfall....  Gotta convince Malak to be far more cautious with human life re: Olo the Cleric and Rannar the Huntsman. They would have been strong characters in this tale, especially in the chapters yet to come.....  ]

[You just level up in Hyperborea, no sleep needed, no study, no training. Roll for additional HP and choose spell.]

Emral uses his Read Magic ability to read the Pryomancer scroll.   It is Dismissal.

Last edited by Iron Ranger (1/11/2019 12:17 am)

1/11/2019 11:18 am  #928

What is my total XP?
Do we try to extract the gold bags from the cellar?
I check the balance from the knife. Does it feel better to throw or wield?

1/11/2019 11:35 am  #929

achiriaco wrote:

What is my total XP?
Do we try to extract the gold bags from the cellar?
I check the balance from the knife. Does it feel better to throw or wield?

1. I'm very sad you do not have a character sheet - 5345.
2. Up to you and Emral.
3. The knife is remarkable! Almost a natural extension of your hand. The bronze hilt unscrews from the pommel revealing a hollow filled with 1/6 of a strange silky liquid. And the aim when you toss it across the church is perfect bullseye! Far superior to the low grade daggers you've been using.  [split 750 XP with Emral for this Dagger +2, Venom]

1/11/2019 12:07 pm  #930

Hit Points: 8! That brings me to... 23?
Spell:  Flame Missile. And does that scroll have additional spells to learn?  I feel like a simple cantrip to make a spark would be a handy feature, and some form of resistance to fire as a passive ability, if only as thematic features. the Flame Blade is designed for casters, and I don't see it being useful for someone who already uses a sword (looks like it gives me only a +2 instead of adding to my FA3, but I could be wrong). 

Coins:  Yes!  You hand them up to me, I'll pull you up if the board breaks.

Question:  I'm working on my own game system, and I'm getting it ready to plunk into InDesign. Either of you up for giving it a read some time? I'm aware of proximity blindness and want to make sure it's clear. Trying to keep it slim, with simple rules, and only "stuff" not "rules bloat" adding to page count (ie: magic system on a page or two, but lots of spells; monster design on a couple pages, pages of monsters, etc.)

1/11/2019 12:17 pm  #931

fireinthedust wrote:

Hit Points: 8! That brings me to... 23?
Spell:  Flame Missile. And does that scroll have additional spells to learn?  I feel like a simple cantrip to make a spark would be a handy feature, and some form of resistance to fire as a passive ability, if only as thematic features. the Flame Blade is designed for casters, and I don't see it being useful for someone who already uses a sword (looks like it gives me only a +2 instead of adding to my FA3, but I could be wrong). 

Coins:  Yes!  You hand them up to me, I'll pull you up if the board breaks.

Question:  I'm working on my own game system, and I'm getting it ready to plunk into InDesign. Either of you up for giving it a read some time? I'm aware of proximity blindness and want to make sure it's clear. Trying to keep it slim, with simple rules, and only "stuff" not "rules bloat" adding to page count (ie: magic system on a page or two, but lots of spells; monster design on a couple pages, pages of monsters, etc.)

HP: wow! I have your max at 14. So +8 would be 22 max. But you are currently down to 5 +8 is 13.
Spell: Flame Missile is a 1st level spell, Emral has qualified for a 2nd level spell. Are you sure you want to sacrifice that for this low level spell?

Scrolls: the pyromancer scroll is Dismissal. The 2 protection scrolls are Otherworldly Beings & Undead. The clerical scrolls you cannot read.

Coins: At current, Malak is in the room with you. Not in or under the pool.

Game system: sure

1/11/2019 1:46 pm  #932

flaming sphere?

1/11/2019 2:22 pm  #933

Congrats Emril on the level.
I also rub the rabbit's foot on my new wound. Concentrating on the softness of the furry foot.
I sheave the knife and take note of its awesomeness.

Total XP is 
5345 + 375 = 5720
Goal is 6000 for 4th level

As planned I go below (if I think it is safe) and start uploading the Gold to Emril. Taking it out of the heavy sacks and portioning it up. Being extra careful I also check the room for secret doors.
Thieves get the following ability
Detect Secret Doors: Find a secret door on a base 3-in-6 chance.
Roll 2
I am extra careful and am mindful of the construction integrity.

1/11/2019 2:26 pm  #934

fireinthedust wrote:

flaming sphere?

It's totally up to Emral, I was only pointing it out and asking for clarity...since there's no take backs.

Too bad there's no Resurrection...you guys need Olo! [DM curses Malak!] 

1/11/2019 2:31 pm  #935

achiriaco wrote:

Congrats Emril on the level.
I also rub the rabbit's foot on my new wound. Concentrating on the softness of the furry foot.
I sheave the knife and take note of its awesomeness.

Total XP is 
5345 + 375 = 5720
Goal is 6000 for 4th level

As planned I go below (if I think it is safe) and start uploading the Gold to Emril. Taking it out of the heavy sacks and portioning it up. Being extra careful I also check the room for secret doors.
Thieves get the following ability
Detect Secret Doors: Find a secret door on a base 3-in-6 chance.
Roll 2
I am extra careful and am mindful of the construction integrity.

[Add 100 XP off the top for engineering ingenuity.]

SAdly, nothing happens with the foot and your wound.

Malak counts coins as he goes. There's 1200gp here. [Split another 1200 XP with Emral!]
All the gold is now up top and back in the sacks with Emral, and all the other stuff he tossed up earlier...
You don't find any secret doors though.

Last edited by Iron Ranger (1/11/2019 2:32 pm)

1/11/2019 2:39 pm  #936

I get to the top of the cellar and converse with Emril.
"No more secret doors down there, although I am curious about the sound I heard under the floor.
I have a feeling you will need to keep that protection from undead scroll handy."

XP ​5720+ 700 = 6420 Making Malak 4th level

Leveling up to Level 4:

1/11/2019 2:42 pm  #937

achiriaco wrote:

"No more secret doors down there, although I am curious about the sound I heard under the floor.
I have a feeling you will need to keep that protection from undead scroll handy."

XP ​5720+ 700 = 6420 Making Malak 4th level

Leveling up to Level 4:

Congrats Malak! 
Roll HP
Adjust skills and FA if applicable

1/11/2019 2:45 pm  #938

Iron Ranger wrote:

achiriaco wrote:

XP  5720+ 700 = 6420 Making Malak 4th level

Leveling up to Level 4:

Congrats Malak! 
Roll HP
Adjust skills and FA if applicable

Only thing that goes up at 4th level is HP and FA.
FA 3
HP d6 rolled a 5
+1 CN bonus
= 6

Adjusted Character sheet will follow

1/11/2019 2:47 pm  #939

Updated Character Sheet

Malak: Thief, Archer, Adventurer.

Malak
Thief Lvl 4
Race/Common
Neutral
ST 15 DX 18 CN 14 IN 13 WS 12 CH 11
Edited stat adjustments:
ST +1 ATT +1 Dam
DX +3 Missle / +2 AC
CN +1 HP

AC 5 Leather
HP 23
FA 3 THACO 16
Dagger 1d4 3/2 thrown
Short Bow 1d6 3/2
Age 40 5'10" 160lbs
Clothes, 2 Pouches, 2 Daggers, Short Bow &  Quivar  (  ) arrows, Lucky Rabbits Foot,  (   ) Platinum pieces, Dagger +2, Venom

Thieves Skills :
Climb (DX) 8:12 +1 DX = 9:12
Decipher Script (IN) 1:12
Discern Noise (WS) 5:12
Hide (DX) 6:12 +1 DX = 7:12
Manipulate Traps (DX) 4:12 +1 DX = 5:12
Move Silently (DX) 6:12 +1 DX = 7:12
Open Locks (DX) 4:12 +1 DX = 5:12
Pick Pockets (DX) 5:12 +1 DX = 6:12
Read Scrolls (IN) 

1/11/2019 2:52 pm  #940

Unfortunately, I will always catch you trying to use the stats from Malak's previous life, before Boreas resurrected him the wood at -2 per stat.

Malak stats are S13, D16, C13(readjusted by foot), I11, W11(readjusted by foot), CH 9

Please readjust your character sheet. Thanks!

S 0/+1
D +1/+1
C 0/0

22HP  / 19HP

Last edited by Iron Ranger (1/11/2019 3:02 pm)

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.