!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/11/2018 7:26 pm  #681

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

I head down and check the area for devices and traps.
Rolled a 1

12/11/2018 10:01 pm  #682

The 18" iron grate shows signs of rust and age. The sluice empties below. The handle mechanism is in good working order and no traps are discovered.
The waterproofing wax of pool in general is worn but stable. The wooden boards underneath the wax layer look solid.

12/11/2018 10:54 pm  #683

Iron Ranger wrote:

The 18" iron grate shows signs of rust and age. The sluice empties below. The handle mechanism is in good working order and no traps are discovered.
The waterproofing wax of pool in general is worn but stable. The wooden boards underneath the wax layer look solid.

I try the handle.

12/11/2018 11:00 pm  #684

The sluice shifts under the grate, but the water is already drained.

12/12/2018 9:59 am  #685

Emral follows as he can without getting in the way. “Can we get through here?”

He looks towards the room in case something is coming towards them.

12/12/2018 11:40 am  #686

fireinthedust wrote:

Emral follows as he can without getting in the way. “Can we get through here?”

He looks towards the room in case something is coming towards them.

I try prying at the boards.

12/12/2018 12:54 pm  #687

Emral enters the pool with Malak.  The waxed boards bend under the weight of the 2 men.
The grate is too small to squeeze into, even if it could be removed. 

the boards are coated in heavy wax, you will need to scrape away remove at the board seams in order to pry. Which boards do you pry? the pool is 4x6.

12/12/2018 5:19 pm  #688

Iron Ranger wrote:

Emral enters the pool with Malak.  The waxed boards bend under the weight of the 2 men.
The grate is too small to squeeze into, even if it could be removed. 

the boards are coated in heavy wax, you will need to scrape away remove at the board seams in order to pry. Which boards do you pry? the pool is 4x6.

Were there steps or just the grate? Picturing the vision of the priestess coming out of the water, where would the steps be?

And are we going to stay with burning hands only working on people or can I ignite wax or wood?
And if it’s an area spell, would it ignite both the wax and the wood or would it go through the wax first?

As a trained spell caster I imagine Emral would know the answer.

12/12/2018 5:29 pm  #689

There are no steps. It's a 4x6x4 pool with an 18" drain grate with pull handle on the bottom centered left.

I never said it only works on people, 2 HP per caster level damage on people/some light combustibles likely ignite. All I said was not strong enough to evaporate 96 ft3 of water...

Again from the rulebook:
Burning Hands
Level:mag 1, pyr 1; Range: 5 feet;Duration: instantaneous
Jets of thin, multihued flames spring from the fingertips of the caster, fanning out in a 120° horizontal arc and causing 2 hp damage per CA level, with no saving throw allowed. Combustible materials (cloth, paper, dry wood) are likely ignited if exposed to burning hands. 

Emral and I both think the wax would liquify.

Last edited by Iron Ranger (12/12/2018 5:30 pm)

12/13/2018 10:57 am  #690

Does Emral think the wood would also burn with burning hands?  The wax should have kept the water away, so the wood could be dry. If the wax were carved away from a portion, perhaps the wood would ignite there?  And I wonder (dunno if you or Emral would know) if this kind of wood-covered-in-wax would function at all like a candle, with the flames kept lit by the evaporating wax.

And: walking on the wax/wood bottom, does it sound hollow? Like perhaps a secret door is below it or some other passage?

Can we pull up the grate?  And if we did, could we fit through it?

Kudos for this being the 24-hour marathon D&D session where the players literally just stare at one door. Love it!  

Emral ponders aloud to Malak.  "The grate is in the floor, the handle opens it so the water goes out. There isn't a doorway, but somehow the priestess gets in through here.  Unless she swam up through the grate, maybe being some kind of... water elemental or nymph, rather than a human?  Regardless, let's carve off some of the wax coating and I'll ignite the area with a spell. If we stay too long here, we'll use up our resources."

using his falcata, Emral carves up a strip of the wax from around the edge of the grate.  He does another long strip around the bottom edges of the pool, a hands-width also. If he can, he will collect the wax he removes and roll it into a ball, stowing it in a pouch in case he can find a use later on.

Then, if that looks reasonable and they don't discover anything else, he nods to Malak to move out of the way with him, and with their stuff behind them, he plans to cast Burning Hands on the wood and the wax.

12/13/2018 10:05 pm  #691

fireinthedust wrote:

Does Emral think the wood would also burn with burning hands?  The wax should have kept the water away, so the wood could be dry. If the wax were carved away from a portion, perhaps the wood would ignite there?  And I wonder (dunno if you or Emral would know) if this kind of wood-covered-in-wax would function at all like a candle, with the flames kept lit by the evaporating wax.

And: walking on the wax/wood bottom, does it sound hollow? Like perhaps a secret door is below it or some other passage?

Can we pull up the grate?  And if we did, could we fit through it?

Kudos for this being the 24-hour marathon D&D session where the players literally just stare at one door. Love it!  

Emral ponders aloud to Malak.  "The grate is in the floor, the handle opens it so the water goes out. There isn't a doorway, but somehow the priestess gets in through here.  Unless she swam up through the grate, maybe being some kind of... water elemental or nymph, rather than a human?  Regardless, let's carve off some of the wax coating and I'll ignite the area with a spell. If we stay too long here, we'll use up our resources."

using his falcata, Emral carves up a strip of the wax from around the edge of the grate.  He does another long strip around the bottom edges of the pool, a hands-width also. If he can, he will collect the wax he removes and roll it into a ball, stowing it in a pouch in case he can find a use later on.

Then, if that looks reasonable and they don't discover anything else, he nods to Malak to move out of the way with him, and with their stuff behind them, he plans to cast Burning Hands on the wood and the wax.

- Emral believes the wood would burn.
- Emral thinks it's hard to tell if it's hollow because of the heavy wax.
- Emral thinks the grate could be pried out, but there's no way either of them is fitting through.
- DM's favorite kind of sessions/games!
- DM will wait and see what Malak says/does here.

12/16/2018 7:06 pm  #692

Emril
I say save the spell and lets try prying and scraping at the wax/wood ourselves.
If that is agreed I take out my dagger and assist Emril, otherwise I will stand back if he blasts it.

12/16/2018 7:52 pm  #693

Emral nods at Malaks wise suggestion, and continues scraping off the edges of the pool or wherever it seems likely that they can prise off a board.

He still looks up to check the door for intruders and danger.

“As soon as we get a board up... the better... I have had enough of this building... and I want... to find the hiding place... and end this curse...!”  Huff huff.  “I don’t want to go out there until dawn, just yet. But we need to... wrap up this... misadventure... And if that priestess is a water nymph and we’re dawdling in this pool when we should be in the bell tower or the cemetery?” Shakes his head. “Then I hope she has the decency to help us heal up and not die of cold so we can help her. Or... maybe... she can hand us ... some... magical scimitar that... comes with a fiefdom or something...”

12/16/2018 8:03 pm  #694

Malak works hard at the grate, freeing all the edges and ending up with a sticky pile of the wax.
Emral uses his short scimitar to scrape wax from the length of boards from the opposite side. After clearing the joints of several boards - and nearly giving up in frustration - he notices a small hinge...

12/16/2018 8:41 pm  #695

Emral barks out a laugh and clears the wax around the hinge, and follows the line of the door to get the shape out.

“A hinge! I’m not going crazy!”

12/16/2018 11:39 pm  #696

Emral uncovers a small hatch cut into the boards, it is hinged but the fit is tight.

12/17/2018 12:04 am  #697

Emril... together. Let's get this open

12/17/2018 2:39 am  #698

Working with malak Emral does his best to pry open the door.

12/17/2018 10:00 am  #699

With your combined effort the door finally wrenches open revealing a dark hollow underneath the pool.

The air below is rank. You hear the slap and slosh of water. 

Light from your nearby lantern shines on a rickety ladder.

12/17/2018 10:00 am  #700

Add 250 XP each.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.