!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/04/2018 7:29 pm  #641

Re: The Scorched Sanctuary

Not whittling normal things but creatures that seem both grotesque and yet hauntingly familiar. He then burns them in the fire before using them to draw eldritch symbols on the floor in ash. The sigils and shapes are similar to those tattooed over his body, and sketched in his book. His warlock eyes look strange and distant, and he is in a trance as he scribbles it all. Then after a long pause he starts as if from sleep, and hurriedly smears the ashes away.  He tosses the brand into the fire and goes back to conversation. Yet, before too long he begins again...

12/04/2018 9:29 pm  #642

Yep, exactly.

12/04/2018 9:49 pm  #643

Iron Ranger wrote:

Emral settles in by the pile of pew wood, takes turns whittling and re-reading spell.

What does Malak do for next 8 hours?

After eating. I clean the dirt out of my nails with my dagger.
I follow Emrils' suggestion of sleep. We need to rest.
Do we split a watch?

12/04/2018 9:55 pm  #644

achiriaco wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

Emral settles in by the pile of pew wood, takes turns whittling and re-reading spell.

What does Malak do for next 8 hours?

After eating. I clean the dirt out of my nails with my dagger.
I follow Emrils' suggestion of sleep. We need to rest.
Do we split a watch?

Remember even though it is dark for 22 hours a day, sleepiness is still 8-10 hours off. Although the chipping of the wood and the scratching of the ash under wet boot does have a certain hypnotic effect....

12/04/2018 9:55 pm  #645

I suggest an encumbrance check to pass the time?

12/04/2018 10:03 pm  #646

Iron Ranger wrote:

I suggest an encumbrance check to pass the time?

Good call
I am under
The heaviest thing I am carrying is the wolf pelt

12/04/2018 10:10 pm  #647

What's in the pack?

12/05/2018 9:46 am  #648

Encumberance check? Like what we have on us?

12/05/2018 9:48 am  #649

Exactly. Never a bad idea to check in with all your stuff – just might have something special in the bottom of your bag that you've forgotten about.

12/05/2018 5:20 pm  #650

Clothes, 
2 Pouches
Backpack
Spellbook (contents pending)
Whip
Short Scimitar
Bastard Sword
Rope
Lantern
Signet ring

12/05/2018 7:06 pm  #651

The ring holds promise, but not much special sauce there.
And I thought Burning Hands was in the book.

12/06/2018 10:55 am  #652

It's from my word document from a while back. Probably not the most updated one.  I'll look up the thread.  (sorry, head is out of it: strep throat and life stress, thinking is cloggy, if that makes sense)

I was thinking of writing up Emral's origin story, but the events are... maybe not epic action sequence material?  Like, my head cannon for him has a lot of cerebral stuff, but I'm trying to think of cool events around it.  Like he goes into a lost stronghold of an order of sorcerers called the Ur Varlok, who had in some time/space point in history acquired a star within a massive dimensional pocket; but the UrVarlok were either slain or entered a meditative torpor as mummies or something, and in the meantime undead came in to try to take over control of the star in the dimensional pocket; the key to controlling the containment on the star was called the Emral Dajand - an amulet stone called the "emerald agent" in the alchemist's instructions; so Emral (who had thrown off his old name when striking out on his own) took the name "Emral Dajand Ur Varlok" which made *him* in control of the alchemy circles/containment spells.  When that happened he, like the other members of the Ur Varlok, got sigils all over his body.

It's clever-ish, but not... functionally exciting. Like watching someone "hack a computer", it's just watching some typing.  Where's the chase scene?  Where's the romance?  Where's the fight?

Anyway, that's where my head is.

12/07/2018 2:23 pm  #653

It's a great backstory.
Hopefully he will survive this wretched endless night that envelops the Scorched Sanctuary so he can come to understand this vast power he wields.

12/08/2018 9:39 am  #654

Iron Ranger wrote:

It's a great backstory.
Hopefully he will survive this wretched endless night that envelops the Scorched Sanctuary so he can come to understand this vast power he wields.

I was thinking that maybe all Pyromancers tap into the Star somehow, like it’s the internet and he just found and linked into google HQ. So he’s still a hacker, or has a password that full Pyromancers spend years building, but he’s not Rand al Thor. Or at least not a Mary Sue. Technically all Pyromancers would do this sort of thing. And maybe magicians develop their abilities in connection to something else?

12/08/2018 9:39 am  #655

Once rested, we’re good to go if Malak is okay.

12/08/2018 1:26 pm  #656

The hours creep by without incident. Several times noisy winds pick up. The blue light in the sky fades away.
And the temperature falls dramatically.
Malak nods off once or twice but jolts awake nearly as soon as he fades. The rest was good, but sleep never came. You feel rejuvenated [roll dHD +con bonus] but bedtime is now upon you.

12/09/2018 8:18 am  #657

I rolled a 2 🤮

12/09/2018 10:19 am  #658

fireinthedust wrote:

I rolled a 2 🤮

The fire blazed against your sopped clothing and armor, but the deep cuts seem slow to mend in this freezing hell.
Fatigue remains upon you, perhaps you slumber now, you reason, and allow another healing period to pass? 

12/09/2018 11:18 am  #659

yes please!  Willing to take the time needed to heal up and be ready to challenge the curse upon this place, avenging the dead children!

12/09/2018 11:58 am  #660

Rolled a 5

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.