!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/04/2018 9:39 pm  #21

Re: Fashion/Clothing in Hyperboria?

DMPrata wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

The way I read it, while some years look quite cold in Hyperborea, plenty of areas remain very warm from Elk to Eagle. Nobody is wearing Furs on the 80+ degree coastal mainland or in the 50+ degree Spiral Array. These years are humid and daylight lasts 20-23.5 hours a day! so not much nightly cool down. We're talking thongs and maybe some light coats in the highest hills.

Anybody running a game in this season? My guys just stepped into Bat and they've had to don the hide of Winter Wolf to survive.

Your Hyperborea can be whatever you like, of course. If you’re using APPENDIX A, then the intent was that the Coastal Mainland averages around 50°F in the summer years, and the Interior Mainland around 25°F.

I don't know about Appendix A,  I use the #'s from 1E RefMan pg.190 :

SUMMER:  Summer occurs from  Deluge  (Elk, Year 5) to  Drought  (Eagle, Year 8). Temperatures peak during this time, with highs of 80oF on the coastal mainland. The interior is always cooler, and in the Spiral Mountain Array temperatures rarely rise above 50oF. Hyperborean summers are mostly humid, though trending drier by  late summer (hence the designation of Drought). Storms brew on the Hyperborean Sea to assail the coast, and with glacial melting the rivers flow more strongly. 

Did you guys change all this climate stuff?

Last edited by Iron Ranger (12/05/2018 9:03 am)

12/05/2018 7:17 pm  #22

mabon5127 wrote:

francisca wrote:

Red Sun.  Consider how that affects color choice.

For the wealthy of the larger cities maybe but most are glad to have survived! We are talking Hellyborea here!

I was thinking more in terms of how having red-shifted (from our perspective) ambient light might affect perception, and therefore choice of color.

I'm mean, if we're going down such a esoteric rabbit hole, let's get out the backhoe and start diggin'.

12/05/2018 7:40 pm  #23

Iron Ranger wrote:

SUMMER:  Summer occurs from  Deluge  (Elk, Year 5) to  Drought  (Eagle, Year 8). Temperatures peak during this time, with highs of 80oF on the coastal mainland. The interior is always cooler, and in the Spiral Mountain Array temperatures rarely rise above 50oF. Hyperborean summers are mostly humid, though trending drier by  late summer (hence the designation of Drought). Storms brew on the Hyperborean Sea to assail the coast, and with glacial melting the rivers flow more strongly. 

No, not substantially. We just codified it a bit with a weather-generation system. Note that the temperatures you cited from VOL. VI are highs, not averages. In the summer years, the warmest it ever gets is ~80°F along the coast and ~50°F in the Spiral Mountain Array. The average daily temperature will be cooler than those highs.

12/06/2018 6:49 am  #24

francisca wrote:

mabon5127 wrote:

francisca wrote:

Red Sun.  Consider how that affects color choice.

For the wealthy of the larger cities maybe but most are glad to have survived! We are talking Hellyborea here!

I was thinking more in terms of how having red-shifted (from our perspective) ambient light might affect perception, and therefore choice of color.

I'm mean, if we're going down such a esoteric rabbit hole, let's get out the backhoe and start diggin'.

Hahaha! My backhoe ain't what it used to be. Gotcha!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

12/06/2018 10:11 pm  #25

DMPrata wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

No, not substantially. We just codified it a bit with a weather-generation system. Note that the temperatures you cited from VOL. VI are highs, not averages. In the summer years, the warmest it ever gets is ~80°F along the coast and ~50°F in the Spiral Mountain Array. The average daily temperature will be cooler than those highs.

Very confusing then. It's just not the way I'm used to meteorologists describing highs and lows.
So when does it hit 80 degrees every day during the summer? for 2 months/weeks/days in the middle of the Tiger/Crab?
or the warmest it can ever be is 80 degrees - like once in a lifetime?

Last edited by Iron Ranger (12/06/2018 11:06 pm)

12/07/2018 4:06 pm  #26

Iron Ranger wrote:

The way I read it, while some years look quite cold in Hyperborea, plenty of areas remain very warm from Elk to Eagle. Nobody is wearing Furs on the 80+ degree coastal mainland or in the 50+ degree Spiral Array. These years are humid and daylight lasts 20-23.5 hours a day! so not much nightly cool down. We're talking thongs and maybe some light coats in the highest hills.

I think there is something in what you say. Assuming the art in official AS&SH products is also official, I'm seeing no shortage of mighty-thewed barbarians in loin cloths and females with bare legs and midriffs - not to mention breasts, in the case of the original boxed set cover. (The cover of Forgotten Fane can perhaps be dismissed as an aberration, since it takes place in the warmer Lemurian Remnant, but the same characters are dressed thusly throughout the 2e hardback as well.) Since Hyperborea is much colder than our world for years at a time, maybe the inhabitants would feel overly hot in temperatures as low as the 50's, and dress accordingly.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

12/07/2018 7:24 pm  #27

Blackadder23 wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

I think there is something in what you say. Assuming the art in official AS&SH products is also official, I'm seeing no shortage of mighty-thewed barbarians in loin cloths and females with bare legs and midriffs - not to mention breasts, in the case of the original boxed set cover. (The cover of Forgotten Fane can perhaps be dismissed as an aberration, since it takes place in the warmer Lemurian Remnant, but the same characters are dressed thusly throughout the 2e hardback as well.) Since Hyperborea is much colder than our world for years at a time, maybe the inhabitants would feel overly hot in temperatures as low as the 50's, and dress accordingly.

And the dudes Beneath the Comet are in short sleeved tunics at night!
Thanks for the support, Ben!
Totally willing to feel the heat at one your games anytime! ;)

12/07/2018 10:27 pm  #28

This might just be my personal distaste for cold weather bleeding through into the game. I always play up that aspect of the setting when I run AS&SH™ at conventions, to differentiate Hyperborea from countless vanilla RPG worlds with generic, quasi-European weather models. (“No, guys, it’s really, really cold here!”) That said, some aspects of the game (like the berserker’s thick skin) are a nod to the scantily clad heroes we’re used to seeing in swords-and-sorcery art.

12/07/2018 10:41 pm  #29

I'm with you! I have to remind these folks in my game that they are going to freeze-to-death nearly every move they make. No matter how many times I say frigid, bone chilling, bitter, frozen, etc they keep trekking outside without coats or flame. Next time...they are dead...I swear...;)

12/08/2018 12:27 am  #30

Iron Ranger wrote:

Blackadder23 wrote:

Iron Ranger wrote:

And the dudes Beneath the Comet are in short sleeved tunics at night!
Thanks for the support, Ben!
Totally willing to feel the heat at one your games anytime! ;)

A bold proposal, my friend! I hope to meet your challenge one day.

DMPrata wrote:

This might just be my personal distaste for cold weather bleeding through into the game. I always play up that aspect of the setting when I run AS&SH™ at conventions, to differentiate Hyperborea from countless vanilla RPG worlds with generic, quasi-European weather models. (“No, guys, it’s really, really cold here!”) That said, some aspects of the game (like the berserker’s thick skin) are a nod to the scantily clad heroes we’re used to seeing in swords-and-sorcery art.

Indeed! I definitely appreciate that Hyperborea is different from the usual tired sword & sorcery setting with a pseudo Africa, pseudo Middle East, pseudo Orient, etc. It is its own wild creation!

Last edited by Blackadder23 (12/08/2018 12:28 am)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.