!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/12/2014 12:50 am  #181

Re: The Black Monolith - Verctissa

"No, Hrodney. You protected me, for which I thank you. My skills lie in places other than pure fighting. It is good to have a strong arm and a stout heart nearby" [they also all seem so nice! Maybe this is what having a 16 CHA is like]. "Let her bind your wound. I will be right back."

Yiel and I will go outside, and she will take a quick wing over the area to see if Mikael, Avertorix, or Andra (the smith--that's his name, I believe) is nearby. Or if any other folk seem to be walking around black-eyed and bitey.

4/12/2014 10:17 am  #182

Handy Haversack wrote:

"No, Hrodney. You protected me, for which I thank you. My skills lie in places other than pure fighting. It is good to have a strong arm and a stout heart nearby" [they also all seem so nice! Maybe this is what having a 16 CHA is like]. "Let her bind your wound. I will be right back."

Yiel and I will go outside, and she will take a quick wing over the area to see if Mikael, Avertorix, or Andra (the smith--that's his name, I believe) is nearby. Or if any other folk seem to be walking around black-eyed and bitey.

Hrodney gives Verctissa a nod, shakes her head and laughs, "You watch yourself. I won't be long here, but if you meet Eirik or Lodin tell them what happened and send one of them here and keep one beside you to watch your back..." she shouts as Verctissa leaves the inn.

Outside the sun still shines and all seems normal, though the smithy across the street is still shut and cold.

4/12/2014 10:22 am  #183

Any sign of trouble? Can Yiel see anyone we know or any suspicious activity from the wing?

4/12/2014 10:26 am  #184

Handy Haversack wrote:

Any sign of trouble? Can Yiel see anyone we know or any suspicious activity from the wing?

Yiel's eye picks out many details but the town seems unchanged. Wheeling to the west she a cloud of dust approaching from the west, but no sign of the Keltoi, shaman, Mikael or Andra.

4/12/2014 10:28 am  #185

How far off is the cloud of dust? How long would it take Yiel to get a better look at what's causing it?

4/12/2014 10:31 am  #186

Handy Haversack wrote:

How far off is the cloud of dust? How long would it take Yiel to get a better look at what's causing it?

(It is at the edge of her vision but at her flight time only a few minutes.)

4/12/2014 10:34 am  #187

OK, while she takes off to see what is causing that, Verctissa goes back in the inn to ask the daughter where Nikoli or the Old Woman can be found.

4/12/2014 10:48 am  #188

Handy Haversack wrote:

OK, while she takes off to see what is causing that, Verctissa goes back in the inn to ask the daughter where Nikoli or the Old Woman can be found.

Yiel wings her way over the road approaching Ruthan. The cloud of dust is rushing to meet her.

Heading back to the inn Verctissa sees Hrodney hastily leaving the inn while trimming at a long bandage wrapping her left hand.

4/12/2014 10:51 am  #189

"Do you go to find your companions, Hordney? I will await here and find Mikael or one of the healers of this town, who might know what those creatures were. If there is trouble, signal, and we will come."

4/12/2014 11:10 am  #190

Handy Haversack wrote:

"Do you go to find your companions, Hordney? I will await here and find Mikael or one of the healers of this town, who might know what those creatures were. If there is trouble, signal, and we will come."

Hrodney laughs, "I came to find you and I did hope you would find Eirik or Lodin or Eyvind. This town is too big."

In the distance Yiel sweeps down and sees a pair of horses galloping toward town. A closer look shows that both are in harness and behind them they drag both reigns and the broken wooden tongue of a wagon. The are still lashed together in harness.

4/12/2014 11:19 am  #191

"There is more trouble coming [Verctissa tells her what Yiel sees]. Send someone to the merchant to see if your fellows are still there, and then come with me. We will see what these horses portend."

4/12/2014 11:28 am  #192

Handy Haversack wrote:

"There is more trouble coming [Verctissa tells her what Yiel sees]. Send someone to the merchant to see if your fellows are still there, and then come with me. We will see what these horses portend."

"Stay here," Hrodney says, "I will run over to the trading post." she is as good as her word and takes off at a run. "Quicker than finding someone to do it..." she yells back as she runs. 

Yiel follows the horses as the rush down the road.

4/12/2014 11:34 am  #193

OK, Verctissa will wait, with Yiel keeping an eye out to see if anything else is following these horses toward town. Better to have a little muscle at her back then charge off alone.

4/12/2014 11:46 am  #194

Handy Haversack wrote:

OK, Verctissa will wait, with Yiel keeping an eye out to see if anything else is following these horses toward town. Better to have a little muscle at her back then charge off alone.

In a very short time Hrodney comes running back. "Verctissa," she shouts,"I sent the shop boy after Andra or one of the town warders," she pants for breath a little. She looks about her on the open street then up at the nearby guard tower. "Maybe find a better place to stand," she says. 

4/12/2014 11:50 am  #195

"Wise plan." We'll head for the tower for vantage, and Yiel will circle to meet us there.

4/12/2014 12:00 pm  #196

Handy Haversack wrote:

"Wise plan." We'll head for the tower for vantage, and Yiel will circle to meet us there.

Hrodney and Verctissa approach the tower and  are hailed by the guard, "Ho there!" he calls, "Oh it is you, and the Njord. Does this mean more trouble!" he calls down and points to the road west.

Yiel wings faster than the running horse but is a black speck in the air before the rising dust of the road.

4/12/2014 12:02 pm  #197

"That dust cloud is two panicked horses with the remnants of a wagon still attached. They make for your town, so perhaps they are native. Has anyone gone out today?"

4/12/2014 12:08 pm  #198

Handy Haversack wrote:

"That dust cloud is two panicked horses with the remnants of a wagon still attached. They make for your town, so perhaps they are native. Has anyone gone out today?"

"Everyday," calls down the guard. "Zahar is overdue," says the guard. "Cover your ears," he warns.

4/12/2014 12:10 pm  #199

Very well. Though Verctissa will--after the guard sounds whatever he's about to sound--sound her own hunting horn, figuring Andra and Mikael might recognize its sound.

4/12/2014 12:16 pm  #200

Handy Haversack wrote:

Very well. Though Verctissa will--after the guard sounds whatever he's about to sound--sound her own hunting horn, figuring Andra and Mikael might recognize its sound.

Hrodeny places her hands over her ears as does Verctissa. With a glance down to make sure they are portected the guard sounds the horn for the second time that day. Shortly the sound is echoed throughtout the town and the guard makes a few final soundings.

Hrodney takes her hands away from her ears then covers them quickly as Vercitssa sounds her horn.

Yiel is a black spot, a winging bird then hovering above Vercitssa. The horses visible as leading specks before the cloud raised behind them.

Nearby the three old Rus have come from the inn and are near the corner of the wall. One holds a spear, the other two have curved swords. 

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.