!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/30/2018 4:49 pm  #1

Kimmeri-Kelt monk?

One of my new players, who isn't quite familiar with Hyperborea and related media, decided on a Kimmeri-Kelt monk, and will probably need help shaping it How would you envision this character lorewise?

I know the core book mentions Krimmr not having much of a priesthood, since it's not viewed as a very masculine or necessary job. I assume if there is some kind of clergy, it's on a very part-time basis. Kinda like Rexor's role as the snake priest in the 1981 Conan movie. I'm having trouble identifying the role of the ascetic monk in Kimmerian culture, and not having too much luck in the druidic Keltic culture either.

My best ideas are pretty much those showing the characters as sort of warrior-monks, perhaps minus the ascetic side:

-A bloodlusty zealot of Krimmr, obsessed with proving his fealty and worthiness before the god in battle, praying and making sacrifices at other times. He may even see his slain enemies as sacrifices themselves.

-A former temple or henge guard.

I can't see much of a Keltic monk community without it just looping back around to being a druid. Maybe a sort of druid's assistant by career? Something similar to the role of the deacon to the priest in the Christian Church.

Of course this can all be circumvented if said player is only ethnically Kimmeri-Kelt, and was raised or lived elsewhere, or converted to a foreign religion. It could also have something to do with not the racial religions, but the Xathoqquan community in the area, since it seems Xathoqqua's worship permeates most of the continent's cultures, whether in a major or minor way.

Of course imagination is key, and anything is possible. I'm just a stickler for lore and solidarity. It's sort of a curse sometimes.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and ideas on this, guys!

11/30/2018 9:00 pm  #2

Re: Kimmeri-Kelt monk?

A monk of Yoon’Deh would tie into your Keltic “henge guard” idea. On the Kimmerian side, a Kthulhu monk from Krimmea makes a cameo appearance in The Anthropophagi of Xambaala, as an example of another way to go.

12/01/2018 1:29 am  #3

Re: Kimmeri-Kelt monk?

Kimmeri-Kelts are implied to be the archetypal "barbarians at the gate" threatening Hyperborea's crown jewel, the City State of Khromarium. To be honest, I find it hard to imagine a nomadic, bellicose people like the Kimmeri-Kelts starting a monastic tradition in the Fields of Vol. That said, there's nothing preventing your Kimmeri-Kelt character from embracing a monastic tradition or community outside his native culture. In fact, this option is far more liberating as you can choose just about any weird fantasy monastic tradition you can imagine. 

After creating both Kimmerian and Kimmeri-Kelt characters for myself and my players I realized that, much like Conan, the best and most interesting adventuring barbarians were those who had broken away and deviated from their home culture.  

Last edited by Brock Savage (12/01/2018 1:29 am)

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.